OFFICIAL Hite Update with Photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie

Hi Everyone!

My name is Maggie and I’m the General Manager for the Hite Outpost, Outfitter and Adventure Center here at Hite, Utah. I noticed a couple posts regarding Hite area improvements and I wanted to give you guys an official update about renovation plans and changes.

First, a little about the store. The store is now open year round 9am-530pm each day. Once we start to pick up for the season we will have extended hours. Bait and tackle, ice, beer, gas, camping supplies and groceries will be available. We are also opening a grill as well as an espresso and Italian soda bar! Rentals are available including RV rentals in the campground (they sleep 6-8), ATV rentals, kayak and paddle board rentals and rod and reel rentals. We are still in the process of stocking up, but come spring we expect to have all services available. If there is something you would like to see stocked at the store, let us know!

The campground and RV campground have had major renovations! I’ve included both pictures of the developed camprground as well as the RV campground. Both improved campgrounds have water at the camp spots; hot showers, outside showers and bathrooms are located nearby. They are also walking distance from the fish cleaning station. The spots right off the boat ramp have plenty of room for boats and toys. The RV park is big rig friendly and has many pull through spots. The rv park is full hook up, including water, sewer and electricity. It also has handicapped accessible spots as well.

Most of you are very interested in the plans to extend the boat ramp. I would like to clarify that is is not a project of the concessioner, this is an NPS project. Being an NPS project, any and all announcements will not be considered official until released by nps. Here’s what I can tell you we’ve been told, and we are following this very closely. NPS has taken measurements of the proposed ramp and is ready to start this project, but with the recent shutdown it’s been pushed back a little. We have not been given a deadline for completion but we have been told this is top on their priority list. From what we have gathered so far, the extension will be gravel. Some of you had concerns about the ramp being gravel. I asked about this as well, and how this would work as water levels rise. I was told every measure would be taken to maintain this ramp, and great care would be taken with the interest of both those who are wanting to launch, as well as river rafters taking out at the launch ramp. I was told that it will be safely and reliably lanchable after completion. The ramp is planning on being extended all the way to the river, so launching should be possible any time of the year. NPS may want to eventually make this the main take out ramp for all rafters instead of the “dirty devil” take out on the other side of the river. This gives me further assurance it will be well maintained, as it will be serving double duty as a boat launch and a raft take out. As far as plans to pave the ramp, we have not heard anything about this. Once the project begins construction hopefully i will get a little more information about plans for that, if any. The number of visitors has declined at Hite over the years with the water level the way it has been. I highly urge you to come out and support us and NPS and try out the new ramp once it’s completed. We are responsible for giving NPS feedback on how current visitors are using these new facilities and what improvements our visitors would like made. If volume and demand is high enough and paving is something visitors are wanting, we can pass that along. I can’t tell you how excited we are that Hite will FINALLY be lanchable year round again!

Fishing report. We have so many upcoming plans and projects here at The Hite Outpost that I haven’t had a chance to do any fishing. I am planning once it warms up a little to start posting semi-regular fishing reports! Stay tuned!

If any of you need to contact us for current conditions, updates, questions or just to say “hi”, call us! The store number is 435-233-6822.

Lastly, a huge thank you to all of you who love this place. Many of you have shared wonderful memories and traditions with us about coming here year after year before it was neglected. We love it too, and we are deeply devoted to bringing it back and keeping it alive for years to come.

Maggie

Attachments

• 531A2975-B82E-45BB-B660-1DA5BA3B76EB.jpeg
    531A2975-B82E-45BB-B660-1DA5BA3B76EB.jpeg
    702.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 8414AD85-4C23-423A-91B1-D4C473DDA5C0.jpeg
    8414AD85-4C23-423A-91B1-D4C473DDA5C0.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 57E6DDC3-B836-4860-880B-33448535FD9E.jpeg
    57E6DDC3-B836-4860-880B-33448535FD9E.jpeg
    772.3 KB · Views: 314
  • 5E03A159-8979-4DB0-9597-3793416A81B8.jpeg
    5E03A159-8979-4DB0-9597-3793416A81B8.jpeg
    671.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 080F43CC-AE2D-4E79-8384-B74BE55684FC.jpeg
    080F43CC-AE2D-4E79-8384-B74BE55684FC.jpeg
    593.2 KB · Views: 314
  • C227CE52-D67A-4E48-8D7E-E5E4296B8655.jpeg
    C227CE52-D67A-4E48-8D7E-E5E4296B8655.jpeg
    706.7 KB · Views: 318
  • 351A730B-B65F-4146-AC19-92EEF898DE9B.jpeg
    351A730B-B65F-4146-AC19-92EEF898DE9B.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 321
  • 5B82C1C8-AEFA-4606-A1FD-6AA1EDBA3BBF.jpeg
    5B82C1C8-AEFA-4606-A1FD-6AA1EDBA3BBF.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 306
  • 8C50150A-359E-4740-B02A-71D74CEC37F8.jpeg
    8C50150A-359E-4740-B02A-71D74CEC37F8.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 312
  • F7BA1041-28C9-4819-8BEB-743207180E97.jpeg
    F7BA1041-28C9-4819-8BEB-743207180E97.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 323
Maggie, That is great news, as I have always wanted to try Hite (as I have been going to Wahweap for about 15 years) so now that it has facilities I will be planning a trip.

How do I go about booking an full hookup RV site?

Wow, that's fantastic news! If we could launch at Hite again, life would be GRAND!!

Could be tricky navigating to the lake, the water is about the color of all the sandbars and it's hard to tell if you're in 6 inches or 6 feet of water.

Are there any good ideas for navigating that or marking the channel?

Looking at Google maps I guesstimate it’s 5 miles from Hite down to White/Farley’s. That’s a long ways to go at putt putt speed.

I realize that any “permanent” channel markers would likely be useless because the river channel shifts so much but with the collective brain power of the people on this board I just wondered if there was some other kind of solution out there?

My friend got stuck on a sandbar about halfway between Striper City and Hite many years ago. I had to pull him off the sandbar with about a 500 foot rope

All joking aside @Gem Morris when we’ve had to run the stretch we’ve tried to follow google earth images of the actual river channel, thats when the water is a bit higher, with lower levels there will be no choice. The biggest problem now would be when you come to the confluence of Farley/White and you lose the actual channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an idea.

After this year’s run off (and of course after the ramp is extended) maybe someone who has radar would be willing to run the course and plot it then share it here so others could follow it. We could give each other updates as we run the same course and report any problems.

I’ve never had radar, not exactly sure how it works? Am I thinking correctly?

I guess radar doesn't "see" into the water, DOH!! Just what is around you on the surface of the water?

My transducer is mounted on the back of my boat and would be basically useless for trying to keep me off a sandbar.

Maybe some brave soul who has a transducer mounted on the front would be willing to do this?

On our July 18 trip, we got as far as Trachyte, hoping (and made a feeble attempt) to get into Farley or White, but it was only 4 feet deep where we were in the mid channel (we thought?) and sand bars showing up here and there, so we did not push it. Based on that, I don't think I have the guts to try and navigate Hite to Good Hope without more water...
But, we love the Hite area so will be keeping an eye on you all!

This picture is where we launched the Boat in October 2017 (approx. 3628') at Hite, off the shore about several hundred feed down lake from the concrete ramp...

This is virtually the same place March 2018...

This many anglers camped and launching at the Hite primitive ramp on a day in Sept. 2017...

And here the primitive ramp in March 2018 (approx. 3614')....what a difference 6 months and 14' makes...

Awesome update Maggie! This is Dave at Rabbitbrush Repair in Hanksville. I have been meaning to come that way to get pictures for all our "wordlings" but just haven't made it. It's great that we now have the official update with pictures!

I will make it down there to see the improvements first hand and visit for a few minutes. It sure does look great in the pictures.

I look forward to working with you guys on anything you may need and will do "house calls" if needed. I'm just happy something is being done with the Hite area.

In November right after the big flush I managed to get into white. It was equal parts stupid and brave. I think we had to go up the river around a mile to do it. Needless to say it was a little nerve racking watching the depth and fighting the current. The River basically ended at striper city. There is no way I would want to do that all the way back to hite. And I’m a little on the daring side to get to spots. Hopefully the lake comes up again and I’ll be right back at hite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back