New Member Greeting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom S

Hi Waynes Word Community!

I'm planning a late August 5 day houseboat trip from Antelope point to Rainbow bridge and back.
I want to leave the houseboat in a nice cove a little before Dangling Rope marina and use the ski boat to explore and day trip.
Can you help me decide which canyons or coves are the best choices based on your experience?
I have purchased the guide books and the maps, but opinions and experience are greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Tom S.

Friendship cove at mile marker 31 is very nice for a new houseboater. More experienced driver I would say the cove across from friendship just after Neanderthal. Hard to see it and not many know about it since it is so hidden. A smaller beach but extremely private and beautiful. It is basically unnamed although I have been calling it Dove cove and have heard another person call it that(Wayne). It is frigging gorgeous and absolutely the most protected cove ever but you have to have the confidence to park on the beach. I can go on and on so let me know what you're looking for. Also look at recent posts, There are some people that are coming to Powell who just asked about what is up so they got a lot of information. There are a bunch of good people who will help you with specifics

As far as a canyon you don't want to miss, if you go down near the San Juan, check out Reflection Canyon. Tooo beautiful!

At this water level, there is a good cove just downlake from Dangling Rope, on the same side of the lake. It's hard to see from the channel, we have been able to camp there every time we wanted.

Dear All,
I am prepping for our HB trip on 8/20 from Antelope point.
Can someone advise me on where to get block ice in Page - if possible?
Thanks,
TS

Dear All,
I am planning my 5 day trip in a few weeks and would like to run my draft float plan by you all for comment and suggestion.

Please note- I will also have a 21' power boat to make advance scouting trips for site selection.

Day 1 - AP Marina to about mile 25. Camp at either Face, West or Neanderthal.
Day 2 - To about mile 40 +/- I want to be in proximity to Dangling Rope for fuel and supplies.
Day 3- Stay put- exploring, tubing, hiking, day trip to Rainbow bridge.
Day 4- Back down lake- find a nice spot around mile 30-15.
Day 5 - To mile 5 AP Marina.
Thanks
Tom S

I am planning my 5 day trip in a few weeks and would like to run my draft float plan by you all for comment and suggestion.

Some people will love your itinerary. You will get to see/experience more of the lake by moving almost every day. I'm just not a fan of the anchoring process. The thought of anchoring the houseboat and setting up camp three times on one trip doesn't feel like a vacation to me - mostly because I feel like I end up doing the lion's share of the work. And, it eats up a lot of your time (about a half-day for each significant move). I'd rather do my exploring via day-trips in the speedboat.

Again, this is just my two cents. I have friends that are "explorers" and want a new campsite every day or two. They absolutely love it. I find it exhausting. You'll just have to balance how much energy/time you want to expend moving around versus the high quality relaxation that you can enjoy staying in one place.

Both options have their merits.

Good luck!

Dear All,
I am prepping for our HB trip on 8/20 from Antelope point.
Can someone advise me on where to get block ice in Page - if possible?
Thanks,
TS
You might try the Red Mesa Express gas and convenience store on the corner of Lake Powell Boulevard and North Navajo, they had block ice, not the crushed block ice last year

Below Dangling Rope and easy camping beaches are Dungeon, Rock Creek, and a few in Last Chance. I would agree with moving the houseboat a lot, I would drive up as far as you can the first day and anchor, and then move your way back south as your trip nears the end. Our houseboat has three anchors on each side, so we try not to move it too much anymore, I think the 59' has 2 on each side?

You must check out Cascade. I think the more you houseboat the more you like to keep the basecamp in the same place and use the powerboats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back