• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

My Dad

Jwc

Sorry to hear man. Loss is so hard no matter what age or situation. Hope you can remember all the great times....

Not Yet You Bet

So sorry Ed. It's a hard thing to lose your dad (best friend). I lost my dad just over 7 years ago, and how I miss him. We did everything together, and he was truly my best friend. All our time spent together is probably partially to blame for my first marriage failure. But I have such great memories of hunting, fishing, and working with my dad.

I remember fishing with with my dad at Fishlake when he was 80 and he said I just want to catch one more Big Mack before I die (his dad passed at 80). Later that day he said I got one and it’s a good one. He played it for a while and I was getting the net ready. Finally he got it up to the surface where we could see it, and it was a good one (somewhere around 25 pounds). As he pulled it closer to the boat and I reached out with the net, it shook it's head and I saw the hook fly out of its mouth. It rolled over and disappeared into the depths. I turned to dad and said “I guess he’s not ready for you up there yet”. I will never forget that day. He lived another 10 years, and did catch a couple more good Mack, but not one as big as the one that got away.

Another thing that my dad told me that is interestingly true and I think of often is as follows. My dad was very close to his dad, and worked and played with him carpentering, fishing, etc. Being the only son, dad inherited all grandpa’s tools. Dad said he could hardly stand to use those tools because every time he picked one up he remembered his dad and got so sad that he could hardly deal with it. He said that time has a way of healing things, and after some time went by, every time he picked up one of those tools he got a happy feeling when remembering his dad.

I have the same feelings about my dad and his fishing things. I could hardly use any of them without experiencing sadness. Now I am finally getting somewhat over that sadness, and have happy feelings when seeing and fishing with his items. I still miss him almost every day, but those great memories make me happy now.

Ed, remember and treasure those fond memories, they really help heal the sorrow and sadness with time.

Danny

treetop

The sorrow we feel at their passing is only equal to the love we felt when they were here!
Even if your old when your parents pass, you still feel like an orphan.
their passing leaves a pothole in the road of your life. And it’s always there. Over time you learn to steer around it, and life goes on.
Loving parents, are a blessing, that not every one enjoys. Be thankful you do

TR.

I received word that my dad passed away this evening at his home in Farmington, MO. He was 94. It was Dad who got me into fishing and hunting. Although he hadn't fished in a number of years he still enjoyed talking about it. He wanted to know every detail of my Lake Powell fishing trips and was always interested in hearing not only what and how much I caught but how and where I caught them. He enjoyed the few trips he was able to make to Lake Powell and enjoyed fishing the lake. In fact, his last fishing trip was here. After that last trip he got tied up in taking care of Mom as she battled dementia, and by the time she passed he was too crippled to go fishing anymore - at least fishing the way he wanted to do it. He was a geologist and still enjoyed going out and studying the local geology around home and explaining it to his friends. We thought we were going to lose him 3 1/2 years ago but he defied the odds and recovered from a serious illness. In the end he couldn't fight Father Time.

Dad was a stubborn old German who did things his way. I will miss him greatly.

Ed Gerdemann
So sorry for your loss Ed. My condolences to you and your family. I will (as I do for every one of my friends who pass away) pour a drink into the lake this year in memory of him even though I never met him.

TR

TR.

Condolences, Ed. It's a blessing to have a great father. I lost mine a month ago today. Just watched his "adopted" grandson (actually a neighborhood 13-year old kid that took a liking to him) catch his first striper today off the back of the houseboat and so wish I could text Dad to tell him about it. It takes a while to process the loss.
Sorry Bart. Condolences to you as well. Bad club to be in.

TR

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Sorry Ed and Bart. It is really heartbreaking to lose a parent. I lost my dad when he was 68 and I was 20. He worked hard at 3 jobs supporting his 11 children. We all had to work hard too to make ends meet. Got my first job when I was 12, weeding onions on a large farm for 35 cents an hour. My father was a great man and taught me principles that I have passed on to my children and grandchildren. I took him fishing once at Flaming Gorge Res and he actually caught his first fish! WG

WyoRado

So sorry for your loss. I've often joked the Egyptians had it all wrong, if you are after immortality teach a kid how to fish. That spirit and love of fishing will endure for generations to come. I come from a long line of avid fisherman, their passion, innovation, and wonder with it all, is alive in me and is already showing in my 11 and 12 year old sons. WE are the fortunate ones who have Fathers like yours, long live the Fisherman!

waterlogged

I received word that my dad passed away this evening at his home in Farmington, MO. He was 94. It was Dad who got me into fishing and hunting. Although he hadn't fished in a number of years he still enjoyed talking about it. He wanted to know every detail of my Lake Powell fishing trips and was always interested in hearing not only what and how much I caught but how and where I caught them. He enjoyed the few trips he was able to make to Lake Powell and enjoyed fishing the lake. In fact, his last fishing trip was here. After that last trip he got tied up in taking care of Mom as she battled dementia, and by the time she passed he was too crippled to go fishing anymore - at least fishing the way he wanted to do it. He was a geologist and still enjoyed going out and studying the local geology around home and explaining it to his friends. We thought we were going to lose him 3 1/2 years ago but he defied the odds and recovered from a serious illness. In the end he couldn't fight Father Time.

Ed Gerdemann
Ed, Sorry to hear about your Dad. I am happy to hear that you have great memories of him. Those are the things that will help you through this time in your life. SO grateful for my own father that taught me how to fish as well. Fishing in the High Uintas of Utah or my favorite Strawberry Reservoir we had a lot of great times. Beyond the fishing part of those trips he taught me to respect others and to take care of the lands and water we were visiting.
Take Care

Jay Eldridge

Sounds like you were blessed to have him not only for so long but that he took the time to share his love of hunting and fishing with you. By reading your posts I see you too are passing down the knowledge. When my grandpa died his brother reminded us that us older folks have got to move over to allow the young ones in. Condolences.

K&M

Ed Gerdemann
Sorry for your loss, Ed. Sounds like you have some pretty wonderful memories--

BarzArz

Sorry to hear of losing your Dad, Ed and Bart...
Lost mine, also in and from Missouri, almost 30 years ago...Fishing and Squirrel Hunting were our thing together.
Its hard, you both are in our thoughts...wishing you peace

sorry for your loss i know the day is coming at some point for my father and like most here we fondly remember the days of our fathers time with us on the water. Just know he's up there cheering you on and sometimes is that voice in your head that says "let's try this area I've never fished here before"

GregS

So sorry for your loss, 90+ years of walking this planet is a wonderful adventure. Age is a battle that none of us can win.

I lost my father 24 years ago. He had retired Dec. 31st found out that he had cancer in March and passed away a few days before Christmas. I took him to Powell in 1984. He lived in Nebraska his entire life and was amazed at the beauty of Lake Powell. He was able to catch his first striper there and actually caught nearly every type of fish swimming in Powell during that week. He may have caught a lake record SMB of 14" as they were just stocked a few years earlier by a rogue lake biologist.

Ed, Thank you for making me remember a tremendous trip.

Rouge = WG ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

John P Funk

Sorry for your loss, my father is nearly 84 and in good shape so far, but hearing about your loss makes me think I need to spend more time fishing with my dad while I have the chance.