• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

My Dad

Edward Gerdemann

I received word that my dad passed away this evening at his home in Farmington, MO. He was 94. It was Dad who got me into fishing and hunting. Although he hadn't fished in a number of years he still enjoyed talking about it. He wanted to know every detail of my Lake Powell fishing trips and was always interested in hearing not only what and how much I caught but how and where I caught them. He enjoyed the few trips he was able to make to Lake Powell and enjoyed fishing the lake. In fact, his last fishing trip was here. After that last trip he got tied up in taking care of Mom as she battled dementia, and by the time she passed he was too crippled to go fishing anymore - at least fishing the way he wanted to do it. He was a geologist and still enjoyed going out and studying the local geology around home and explaining it to his friends. We thought we were going to lose him 3 1/2 years ago but he defied the odds and recovered from a serious illness. In the end he couldn't fight Father Time.

Dad was a stubborn old German who did things his way. I will miss him greatly.

Ed Gerdemann

Ryan

Sorry Ed. Can’t imagine losing my dad. Reminds me to enjoy the time I have with him. Even when we drive each other crazy.

BartsPlace

Staff member
Condolences, Ed. It's a blessing to have a great father. I lost mine a month ago today. Just watched his "adopted" grandson (actually a neighborhood 13-year old kid that took a liking to him) catch his first striper today off the back of the houseboat and so wish I could text Dad to tell him about it. It takes a while to process the loss.

Keith Stockman

So sorry for your loss. Cherish the memories. My dad's been gone for over forty years now, and he never got to fish as much as he wanted. So I try to fish enough for both of us now. And you'll need to do the same.

dlandon

Condolences Ed...my dad taught me to love Lake Powell. He can’t fish anymore, but his love for fishing sound just like your dad’s love for the sport.

Blackjack

Ed - so sorry for your loss. I am sure your dad took great pleasure in sharing and hearing about your Lake Powell adventures over the years. It is tough losing your parents. . . A reminder of the importance of family, friends, fun and fishing.

Cliff

Damn sorry to hear of your loss. BTDT
My Father taught me fishing starting when I was 3. I still retain that love of being in a boat and trolling the way he and I did when I was young. In fact I still have his and my Mom's fishing poles hanging on the wall as a reminder of days gone by.

SkibumUT

I’ve never chatted with you before, but I’m really sorry for your loss. He sounded like a good man and a great dad.

Thank goodness for role models and strong examples.

Grant2

His spirit will always be with you. The sense of adventure and love of everything outdoors is him living on inside of you. I also have my late father to thank for his gift of spirit. I'll catch a fish today in honor of them both!

Bill Sampson

I received word that my dad passed away this evening at his home in Farmington, MO. He was 94. It was Dad who got me into fishing and hunting. Although he hadn't fished in a number of years he still enjoyed talking about it. He wanted to know every detail of my Lake Powell fishing trips and was always interested in hearing not only what and how much I caught but how and where I caught them. He enjoyed the few trips he was able to make to Lake Powell and enjoyed fishing the lake. In fact, his last fishing trip was here. After that last trip he got tied up in taking care of Mom as she battled dementia, and by the time she passed he was too crippled to go fishing anymore - at least fishing the way he wanted to do it. He was a geologist and still enjoyed going out and studying the local geology around home and explaining it to his friends. We thought we were going to lose him 3 1/2 years ago but he defied the odds and recovered from a serious illness. In the end he couldn't fight Father Time.

Dad was a stubborn old German who did things his way. I will miss him greatly.

Ed Gerdemann
Sorry to hear this Ed. Take care and cherish your memories of him.