Lots of deep fish but no bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastarget

Spent all day in bullfrog, lake canyon and south of there. Sat on top of what seemed like thousands of fish, my 9 year old netted one striper , tries spoons, jigs, cranks, trolling etc. nothing ................not one boil either....... dad is looking bad right now🙂

Spent all day in bullfrog, lake canyon and south of there. Sat on top of what seemed like thousands of fish, my 9 year old netted one striper , tries spoons, jigs, cranks, trolling etc. nothing ................not one boil either....... dad is looking bad right now🙂
Us too, probably the slowest day of fishing this year for me. Started in GH bay and hit canyons and structure all the way back to BF . Caught 6 sm and 1 LM that went back. Not 1 striper and like you we saw lots on the graph but no takers and no boils and we looked. It will get better! Only weekend I have for a month, hope it is better by then.

Wow, i dont feel bad then, we tried as well, will come back mid or latter october. Decided to go back to CO tomorrow since fishing was a morning affair anyway. Thanks you for the support. The only thing i didnt try were anchovies.

Wow, i dont feel bad then, we tried as well, will come back mid or latter october. Decided to go back to CO tomorrow since fishing was a morning affair anyway. Thanks you for the support. The only thing i didnt try were anchovies.
Us too, tried stuff I haven’t used for 30 years and everything in between! Arms are tired and worn out but still it’s a great day on Powell. We leave tomorrow as well, have to be to work Monday! Safe travels!

Water temp at GH was 73.3 to 73.8 on Saturday at 9 AM, SJ today it was 72.4 at 11 AM. Clarity in SJ was still only about 3 to 4 feet where we fished. It was over 15 feet in the SJ today.

How deep were the fish schools seen on the graph. I am trying to figure out what is going on in the northern lake but won't be there until next week.

Majority at 60 feet (some 40-80) that seems to have been the most common and consistent depth from BF, Lake canyon , south of lake in the main channel, large schools. That depth hosted quite a bit of bait fish, clouds of them.

Majority at 60 feet (some 40-80) that seems to have been the most common and consistent depth from BF, Lake canyon , south of lake in the main channel, large schools. That depth hosted quite a bit of bait fish, clouds of them.

Looks like stripers do not need to boil in the northern lake. They can attack shad schools at depth, eat their fill without any surface disturbance. Graphing and spooning is the best way to approach deep feeding stripers. I will know more after returning from my sampling trip on October 1-4. Should be an interesting report for the second week of October. In the mean time boils are happening in the southern lake. Stay tuned.

We had good luck last week, we encountered surface activity in Ribbon Canyon and the mouth of the SJ. Lots of Stripers caught trolling with white deep divers followed by 3/4 spoons, thanks Wayne for the detailed instructions.

Edit:: This crank bait outperformed all others:
Rapala X-Rap Shad Crankbaits in Glass Ghost

One curious note, looked like an abandoned house boat near ribbon canyon, Mouse house I think was the name.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Thank you for the info, tried spoons of all types, with line counters, so we knew the depth, running ten feet below the school then retrieving through it, tried flat jigs type made by rapala, tried kastmasters of 3/4, 1 oz or 1.5 oz, deep divers 30 ft, should have used lead-core and gone deeper. Those deep schools responded well to anchovies on heavy jig heads in the spring, did not use anchovies this last weekend.

Is our spooning technique proper or is there a better way????

For sure what Wayne is stating, those schools were large and floating around all that bait fish, should make for some fat stripers .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back