Launching at Hite - North enders

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
We have talked about this before but those of you that have launched at Hite recently, please let me know the possibility of launching at Hite on February 27th. UT DWR will be tagging some walleye up there on that date and I hope we can launch without driving to Bullfrog.

Water level today is 3617.64. If the lake continues to decline at this rate it will be near 3616.5 on Feb 27.

What are the chances of launching near Hite? Primitive ramp or below the concrete ramp?

I am not sure we are brave enough to launch at Farley's but give me the prospects of launching there as well.

Thanks for the help.

A friend was there a couple of weeks ago and said that the water level was too far down. The mud flat was visible from the shore to the channel.
He is a river-runner, jet boat driver that launches where I would never even consider, so I don't think you are going to get in right now.

Bruce

We have talked about this before but those of you that have launched at Hite recently, please let me know the possibility of launching at Hite on February 27th. UT DWR will be tagging some walleye up there on that date and I hope we can launch without driving to Bullfrog.

Water level today is 3617.64. If the lake continues to decline at this rate it will be near 3616.5 on Feb 27.

What are the chances of launching near Hite? Primitive ramp or below the concrete ramp?

I am not sure we are brave enough to launch at Farley's but give me the prospects of launching there as well.

Thanks for the help.
Wayne, is there not a ranger up there that could give us some info?

A friend was there a couple of weeks ago and said that the water level was too far down. The mud flat was visible from the shore to the channel.
He is a river-runner, jet boat driver that launches where I would never even consider, so I don't think you are going to get in right now.

Bruce

Which spot was this in Bruce? The primitive site or below the cement ramp?

Recently we put in at Hite at 3620 (two boil seasons ago), I can't imagine three feet would make that much of a difference at the southern primitive site

Also, anyone thought of putting in at the old marina site on the opposite side? That is where they have done some work and now take out the river runners at. The river channel runs along that side and so it will be a deeper channel along that area and put in spot.

He said he went down the ramp on both the concrete and the old marina/primitive. There was water on top of the flat but only enough for a canoe or kayak.
I asked but he said he didn't take any pictures.

Hopefully some one else has been down recently and will give a better response, it is tough only having second or third hand info ;-)

Bruce

Wayne, is there not a ranger up there that could give us some info?

Yes he says its dicey with lots of brush sticking up that we would have to navigate to get to deep water. I will call him again in a week. If someone finds a good alternate choice and successfully launches I would like to know.

Yes he says its dicey with lots of brush sticking up that we would have to navigate to get to deep water. I will call him again in a week. If someone finds a good alternate choice and successfully launches I would like to know.
Bad news for me then. I was hoping to get down there in the next 10 days or so but sounds like I need to change my plans.

Cold front coming in early next week so I pushed my trip out to the end of the month. Unless I see a first hand report from someone that's dramatically different I'll skip trying Hite and plan on tenting it in Red Canyon like usual.
Man, I was sure hoping I could camp in my nice comfy trailer at Hite. :(

yup we had a good fall being able to launch at Hite and nice comfy camper at ramp, back to old cold tent again if you want to fish the North Country. see ya soon I would guess lol....

yup we had a good fall being able to launch at Hite and nice comfy camper at ramp, back to old cold tent again if you want to fish the North Country. see ya soon I would guess lol....
Looking forward to it Bob....I'm hoping to make it down at least 3 times this year.

I stopped by hite yesterday form the looks of things you can launch a small boat, the shore line is covered with bush tops sticking out of the water. A few groups had launched. I dont think you will be able to launch even a small boat in a few weeks The river raft ramp is to muddy at the bottom to support a truck.

Attachments

• 20180217_113538.jpg
    20180217_113538.jpg
    896.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 20180217_115057.jpg
    20180217_115057.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 137
Thanks for the pictures Chris. The raft site actually looks like a good slope. I wonder if it’s time to build our own ramp track with some flat rocks...

Why doesn’t nps just build a small little cement ramp there!!!? That wouldn’t be that difficult or expensive.

Last edited:
Also I launched my 14 boat in farley, i fished in farley with no luck water temp was 48 degrees, moved to white I caught a striped bass water was very cold in whites 44 degree. Finished the day on the main lake water temp was warmer 52 degrees caught 1 walleye. Wind kicked around 2p

looks like some good sized boat launching, the trailer to right of dock is tandam axle, doesn't look like great conditions though.

Probably a dumb question so forgive if so, what about blue notch? Is there not a way to launch there? I have never been there but have read that a boat can be launched there. Just a thought.

Chris, thank you for your reply and scouting report. Looks like I'll be heading to Bullfrog once it warms up again.

Probably a dumb question so forgive if so, what about blue notch? Is there not a way to launch there? I have never been there but have read that a boat can be launched there. Just a thought.

Blue Notch road goes in to Red Canyon/Good Hope Bay. It is a long, not so great road and it is tough to launch anything but small boats under most conditions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back