KSL: Man suspected of DUI after fatal Lake Powell boat crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that on KSL. I'd like to know more details, such as...did he run into shore, or hit a barely submerged whale rock? What does running outside of the traffic buoys mean? The channel markers?

Last edited:
I saw an ambulance and life flight today on Wahweap web cam so another incident today 😓
The ambulance arrived at the Wahweap ramp just as I was walking up to get truck and trailer. Medical helicopter arrived shortly thereafter and ramp was closed for about 45 minutes. Word spread to those in line for retrieval that a woman had a severe hand laceration.

I saw that on KSL. I'd like to know more details, such as...did he run into shore, or hit a barely submerged whale rock? What does running outside of the traffic buoys mean? The channel markers? I have no sympathy for impaired operation, but was this an accident looking for someone to blame, or a cut and dried reckless operation?

It says running on the "wrong side" of traffic buoys, which are directing safe travel lanes....

The storyline about the boat "hitting a rock" is technically correct but would be better described as it ran into the shoreline while underway (the shoreline just happens to be rock). I think most LP boaters reading the headline would think they hit a submerged or nearly submerged rock, not running directly up onto the shoreline.

Can anyone say where this happened? I assume in Utah since Kane County is where the perp was taken. I'm just wondering where on LP you can get in legal trouble for running on the wrong side of traffic buoys? (I have been on lakes in CA that have specific traffic buoys, but not on LP)

Last edited:
The cops could write DUIs on 1 out of 4 boat drivers any weekend day if they wanted to.
They just have to wait at the dock and have everyone blow into the little straw as they dock.
More if its a holiday weekend.
Sad case. Sorry for the family involved in losing a loved one.
I knew a guy many decades ago (he's now dead himself) that killed several in his boat here, by doing the exact same thing.
Another one I knew of, did the same at Lake Mead 20 years ago. Got 5 out of 6. IIRC He lived.
Frankly I don't go near the water on weekends in the summer.
Buoy's? Not one in a hundred even knows what they are there for let alone what side to pass on.

The cops could write DUIs on 1 out of 4 boat drivers any weekend day if they wanted to.
They just have to wait at the dock and have everyone blow into the little straw as they dock.
More if its a holiday weekend.
Sad case. Sorry for the family involved in losing a loved one.
I knew a guy many decades ago (he's now dead himself) that killed several in his boat here, by doing the exact same thing.
Another one I knew of, did the same at Lake Mead 20 years ago. Got 5 out of 6. IIRC He lived.
Frankly I don't go near the water on weekends in the summer.
Buoy's? Not one in a hundred even knows what they are there for let alone what side to pass on.

There are fates worse than death...

Such a sad story. But I’ve been blown off the water by those wake Boat’s. Lots of them seem to think it is a game to see how close they can get to you when your sitting fishing. Other owners on our houseboat saw the boat afterwards and said Rangers were very active afterwards. A boat came by their grandchild on a kayak and was pulled right over and issued a citation for it.

Such a sad story. But I’ve been blown off the water by those wake Boat’s. Lots of them seem to think it is a game to see how close they can get to you when your sitting fishing.

Last spring we were in Coyote Gulch, just a couple bends below La Gorce Arch. Canyon part we were fishing couldn't have been 50/60 feet wide, spring so there weren't many non fisherman at the time. Wake boat came in at a slow plane speed so the wakes were even bigger than usual... ten minutes later on their way out they did the same thing then mocked me as i stood there in anticipation for their same huge wake with my arms out in question. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back