Kodiak tent Stakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobco

took the plunge and bought a 10x10 Kodiak tent after hearing all the great things about them. just put it up for first time in back yard to season the canvas. what are you guys doing for stakes? even the small tents we have used in past stakes have been an issue, this girl needs allot of stakes! certainly will need to pick better spots but rocks are a way of life at powell.

Have the same tent. Our stakes stay at home for Powell trips. We have a 5’-7’ piece of paracord looped on each corner, then we wrap that around a decent sized rock we find/bring over to the tent. Once you have the corners down you can set it up properly. Sometimes after setting it up you can then sometimes add a rock to the middle on each door ends. Never had an issue.

The rocks don’t need to be that big either, like the size of a three ringed binder or green sprinkler cover (sorry all I could think of to compare) work great, one other thing you can do is tie the first rock that size then just stack an additional one on that. Works great, key to that tent is to get the corners tied down first. Then it’s super simple.

Such a great tent, best part of the tent in my opinion is it’s bag. You don’t have to roll it up perfect to have the bag fit over it at the end. Such a good idea. Hope this helps

Last edited:
I usually use the heavy angled metal stakes for those tents. At Powell though, I usually don't use stakes - I always bring a lot of rope and some nylon, canvas, or sand bags(empty). If in sand or where I can dig, I dig a hole and bury a bag filled with sand with a rope tied around it right under the tent corners. That never moves and my tents have stayed put during monster winds. Next best is to drag over rocks to tie ropes to.

good to know the 4 corners are the most important, I was afraid I was needing to anchor at 12 points, that would be and issue, sound like some paracord is goo thing to have or maybe some mule tape! what about inside under cots? Preston you guy putting down some carpet to protect the floor? I will say the wife is impressed with the idea of standing up in tent and allot of room!

No carpet, we just avoid any trouble spots that the cot might press against. Put a smaller flat rock to disperse the weight etc..

I bought a 10x14 kodiac super deluxe last year for the 6 of us and love it ! The sides zip down so it like a giant screen tent keeps us cool at night. Down side is it’s a lot of weight. I use a 4” disc I bury with a small rope attached and tie it to the corners of the tent with sand then water till the hole is full about 24”deep those baby’s have never come out in all the years I’ve been doing Powell. You could even go bigger with the discs if you wanted. Just drill a hole trough it and feed the rope trough tie a knot at the end and there you go. Any length you want.

I bought a 10x14 kodiac super deluxe last year for the 6 of us and love it ! The sides zip down so it like a giant screen tent keeps us cool at night. Down side is it’s a lot of weight. I use a 4” disc I bury with a small rope attached and tie it to the corners of the tent with sand then water till the hole is full about 24”deep those baby’s have never come out in all the years I’ve been doing Powell. You could even go bigger with the discs if you wanted. Just drill a hole trough it and feed the rope trough tie a knot at the end and there you go. Any length you want.
Great idea, 4 pieces of plywood wood do the trick! So you just do the 4 corners like Preston?

I use pvc 1 inch split down the middle paracord side gets hammered down in sand connect to tent with a cheap shackle this method has survived 60 mph wind but I use every anchor point on tent.

Attachments

• BAA97E42-66C3-4616-8B01-6C1E1E16F87E.jpeg
    BAA97E42-66C3-4616-8B01-6C1E1E16F87E.jpeg
    776.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 9D30D9E3-3199-4547-A8AE-014FF9DBC9B7.jpeg
    9D30D9E3-3199-4547-A8AE-014FF9DBC9B7.jpeg
    719.7 KB · Views: 108
  • A7DE7C91-E8B8-4177-B901-E6D75A5E9E01.jpeg
    A7DE7C91-E8B8-4177-B901-E6D75A5E9E01.jpeg
    802 KB · Views: 104
Take a set of rocks, easy to find at Powell, 5 to 10 lbs or weight as necessary, no sharp edges and wash loose sand off. Shove them into the interior corners of the tent. Shock cord tent poles will flex in the wind even to the point of flattening the tent in thunderstorm gusts. Tent pops back up, minimal wind resistance, been doing it for years and have never torn the fabric.

Great tent ! I have had one for several years and love it. I put 6x6 inch squares if carpet under the cot feet to ensure they don't poke through the bottom.
When I am car camping where weight and space is not an issue, I have a piece of carpet that is an industrial type that I cut to fit the dimensions of the entire floor, it protects the floor and is very comfy to walk on. I got it for free it is was used to cover the floor at a trade show. The factory was planning on leaving it. I knew it would be perfect for the tent so I rolled it up and cut what I need to fit, the price was right and it works perfect. Home improvement stores sell indoor outdoor carpet, materials and turf that would work as well.

We are just now researching the Kodiak tents. What style do you all have? We are thinking the Cabin style with the 3 ridge poles would be better than the Flexbow for Powell. We are interested in the 10x10. What model are you all having the best luck with?
Thanks for your help!

We are just now researching the Kodiak tents. What style do you all have? We are thinking the Cabin style with the 3 ridge poles would be better than the Flexbow for Powell. We are interested in the 10x10. What model are you all having the best luck with?
Thanks for your help!
3F55A94A-BF66-421E-9DA0-DFD11F4E5ADA.jpegIf your looking at the 10x10 I have this tent in the 10x14. We absolutely love it. Both sides zip down to screens and the doors as well. We close the tent all day and after dinner we un zip all the canvas parts and by the time it’s time to go to bed the tent is nice and cool. And if you have a slight cross wind blowing trough it even better. If your in salt lake you can go pick these up at thier warehouse and save on shipping. I’m going to set ours up tonight for inspection for our powell trip next week.

After having several of the springbar / flexbow type, I would never take a different type of tent anywhere there was going to be wind, if I had the choice.

I just purchased the vestibule wing for my 10x10 not for Powell but high country it took a little modification addition of grommets but really like it

I have had a 10 x 10 springbar blow over in Las Chance, hardest wind I have ever camp in. It basically lifted one side of the tent off the ground, with me inside trying to hold it down. Funny thing, the tent was still half standing after that and we just slept that way until morning. I now use homemade rebar stakes and then stack some healthy rocks on top of the corner and pole stakes. Another trick I heard on this website is to angle the tent into the prevailing wind so you dont take it broadside.

Thanks for your help!
I bought the basic 10x10, we don't do the hot weather camping at powell anymore. the deluxe additional windows would be nice in the summer time but did not think the additional cost and possible problems would be worth it for us. from all my reading flexbow is the way to go, the cabin tent maybe nice but everybody swears by the flexbow design. the distributer competive edge sports was best price we found and fast shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back