Just got back from the lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dworwood

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Left bullfrog at noon today to come home, wind was really gusty when we loaded. Camped down lake Friday night and Saturday night with my son in law and two grandkids. We saw water temps from 63.7 to 67.7. Caught walleye, 1 nice LG, 1 crappie, several stripers, and quoting Dungee “we did our part” in taking small mouth out of the lake. Takes a lot of fish that size to make a meal though. With the smaller Ned rigs we couldn’t keep them off and it really didn’t matter which color, the darker colors may have caught a few more fish but any one we used caught fish. I super glued them to the head like suggested and they were very durable. We would change to larger baits to try for bigger fish and they would hitch hike on them but not get hooked. Caught fish on crank baits rattle traps and various plastics but the hook up tube was our best bigger fish lure again in shad color. Caught walleye, stripers and SM on the tubes. We fished the main river and side canyons below BF for about 30 miles starting with lake canyon and found fish everywhere we fished to HITR, some areas were better but we caught Sm everywhere we tried. Saturday was great, Friday and Sunday were both windy and sometimes hard to fish with the wind. Had a great trip, thanks to all those who gave me advice and tips before we left, Dungee, those tips helped in our success. What a great group of people on this site! Have fun and be careful out there. We did see the sunken boat on the north side down by Escalante but it won’t be visible for long, the lake is rising. Also attached a picture of my new fillet board, grey hackle did this on his boat and what a back saver it is, really helped with that chore! It comes off and stores easily too. Oh crappie and LM were released unharmed.

0C6F0649-3DCC-48A5-A8F8-C080BD4ED762.jpegF069D5E8-B96E-4F39-B7B2-2BDE43FFE070.jpegB61E9570-7466-4A8B-B373-C8300810E89F.jpeg806BCD10-36EE-4C22-8F46-E54B20B726BC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report and i like your fillet board, getting ready to head down.
Nice boat! Wish I had the tower. Maybe later in life I can get one. Fillet board is real easy to do, just used a couple of Cabela's pole holder parts to hook to the bottom of the board and spaced two pole holders for it, dual purpose holders now. If you want pictures let me know I would be glad to send them. Mount it by the wash down hose and clean up is easy too.

A picture of the underside of the cutting board that shows the poll holder attachment would be helpful. Thanks

Finally got a some pictures. I epoxied and screwed the aluminum angle plates to the bottom of the board and I pulled the posts off of two pole holders to attach it to the existing bases on the boat. I am going to get two posts just for the board so I don't lose things going back and forth. I am sure it could be improved on but it works great on my boat and the height is about perfect for me.

5862089917615537198.jpg
5903652217303585498.jpg

Finally got a some pictures. I epoxied and screwed the aluminum angle plates to the bottom of the board and I pulled the posts off of two pole holders to attach it to the existing bases on the boat. I am going to get two posts just for the board so I don't lose things going back and forth. I am sure it could be improved on but it works great on my boat and the height is about perfect for me.

View attachment 5016
View attachment 5017
Where did you get the fillet board ?

Where did you get the fillet board ?
My son got me that board for Christmas on amazon, my old fishing partner made one out of some old cutting boards he had, glued & screwed them together to look like this. His was very inexpensive to make, this one is around $80.00 when I looked it up a minute ago. It is called the Rauckfish bait & filet table. They make one with a base that goes in a flush mount gunnel pole holder as well. What I have can be made at home pretty cheap but the factory one is nice. It sure made taking care of fish on the boat much easier for me. Hope that helps.

My son got me that board for Christmas on amazon, my old fishing partner made one out of some old cutting boards he had, glued & screwed them together to look like this. His was very inexpensive to make, this one is around $80.00 when I looked it up a minute ago. It is called the Rauckfish bait & filet table. They make one with a base that goes in a flush mount gunnel pole holder as well. What I have can be made at home pretty cheap but the factory one is nice. It sure made taking care of fish on the boat much easier for me. Hope that helps.
Does the drain hole clear boat well enough?

Does the drain hole clear boat well enough?
Yes. You can see I mounted the holders towards the front of the board and on my boat the drain holes are outside the boat probably 6” or more. There was no blood that I noticed down the side of the boat. It was the cleanest and easiest fish cleaning I have done on a boat. I do have a wash down hose in that corner which made cleanup easy but even without that cleanup would be slick because it is outside the boat and we left nutrients in the lake not down the sewer system, fish were put on ice quickly and will be great table fare. I am sure each boat will be a little different on how and where to mount it but it sure made my chores easier and cleaner keeping blood and mess outside the boat. It is high enough my back didn’t hurt as well. There are extensions for pole holders and with some thought the board could be mounted at any height you want. Mine fits in one under seat storage bin so it is out of the way when not in use.

Yes. You can see I mounted the holders towards the front of the board and on my boat the drain holes are outside the boat probably 6” or more. There was no blood that I noticed down the side of the boat. It was the cleanest and easiest fish cleaning I have done on a boat. I do have a wash down hose in that corner which made cleanup easy but even without that cleanup would be slick because it is outside the boat and we left nutrients in the lake not down the sewer system, fish were put on ice quickly and will be great table fare. I am sure each boat will be a little different on how and where to mount it but it sure made my chores easier and cleaner keeping blood and mess outside the boat. It is high enough my back didn’t hurt as well. There are extensions for pole holders and with some thought the board could be mounted at any height you want. Mine fits in one under seat storage bin so it is out of the way when not in use.
I have a 22ft fishing pontoon. I think I hook a hose on my live well and use it to wash down .

Thanks for the pictures Dworwood, i totally see how it works now. just got back from Powell and it was a great time. fishing was good but i did get a back ache from filleting fish on the cooler top. stripers were spawning up at the top of San Juan.

Thanks for the pictures Dworwood, i totally see how it works now. just got back from Powell and it was a great time. fishing was good but i did get a back ache from filleting fish on the cooler top. strippers were spawning up at the top of San Juan.
Thanks for the report, I chickened out and thought there would be too much debris and muddy water up there so we didn't make it up there last week. That is my problem with bending over too, makes my back hurt. This made it a lot easier on my back and not as much mess. Hope to see you and your boat down there soon. DW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back