Hwy 6 closure just North of Price, UT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave I.

Escalante-Class Member
Just wanted to let anyone know who hasn't heard yet, Hwy 6, in Price Canyon is closed as of yesterday (9/3)
Anyone at the lake and headed towards SLC will have to make changes to their plans to get home.

Even it it's not on labor day coming from south eastern utah it's always faster to take I 70 to salina then up to levan and Nephi vs going over highway 6
Not quite sure how that can be true unless you drive faster than the speed limit.
Green River Utah to Spanish Fork, Utah according to Mapquest.

Hwy 6 is 139 miles where the route you are talking is 196 miles. That's a 63 mile difference.
Drivetime. Hwy 6 takes 2 hours and 39 minutes and your route takes 2 hours and 51 minutes.

Unless you are breaking the speed limit, it can't be faster.
Not to mention all the extra fuel to cover the 63 extra miles in travel.

Myself??? I drive 75 or less on I-70 because at 80 mph, my 496 big block really has a drinking problem and it gets expensive. haha

On holidays the traffic coming out of spanish fork canyon can back up to a stand still East of the junction to highway 89. it can be 2 + hours to get out of the canyon and through that.
All the tows and trips I've made on the Holiday weekends (Just made one on Friday in both directions), I've never had that happen. It's always been smooth sailing every time I've driven that route. I can see how it could happen, but never personally seen it happen.

But, your route is less congested in most cases. That's probably not the case right now. All the Hwy 6 traffic is now going thru all them small towns and will probably cause issues that would probably not happen on a normal weekend.

Everyone be safe out there in this time of detours.

Oh absolutely today will be bad. I live in Mt Pleasant. I have made the mistake a couple of times going north on a holiday Monday Labor and Memorial Day. Especially as the day gets later on. Last Memorial Day at 4pm when I turned from Highway 6 to 89 you couldn't seen the end of the traffic congestion to come out of the canyon. no wreck just so many people going from 4 lanes to 2 that it backs up and is a couple of hours to get through it. The earlier in the day the better.

We always take Hwy 6, coming from Salt Lake to Bullfrog. Even on holiday weekends. The only time we had to wait over an hour was when a tractor trailer overturned with a load of potatoes. There was Mashed Potatoes all over the road.
Now, that would be a mess. I can just imagine how slippery the road would be covered in spuds. haha

Like you, Hwy 6 has never really been a long trip thru the canyon for me either under normal conditions. But yes, any mishap will create a stand still. It's just a congested road.

I have to agree with @crimedog, highway 6 is one I avoid if possible. I have seen it closed too many times for wrecks and disasters over the years. There is only about 20 minutes difference in the two routes doing the posted speed limit. The “middle“ of the circle is just North of Mona and going on 70 is freeway all but Salina to Nephi. To each his own but I avoid 6 like the plague and after having a few friends die on 6 over the years I don’t care for it. The road has been improved over the past 20 years but I don’t travel it if I can avoid it.

I have to agree with @crimedog, highway 6 is one I avoid if possible. I have seen it closed too many times for wrecks and disasters over the years. There is only about 20 minutes difference in the two routes doing the posted speed limit. The “middle“ of the circle is just North of Mona and going on 70 is freeway all but Salina to Nephi. To each his own but I avoid 6 like the plague and after having a few friends die on 6 over the years I don’t care for it. The road has been improved over the past 20 years but I don’t travel it if I can avoid it.
Completely understandable. The state Legislature even acknowledges that Hwy 6 is the deadliest Hwy that Utah has. I also know people that have died on that Hwy. To say it's faster going thru Nephi though, I've never experienced that aspect of it. During the wildfires, going "around" just felt SOOOO much longer than going thru the canyon.
With the 5+ years of towing and parts runs on that road, I've never experienced a situation on Hwy 6 that warrants the extra 60 miles onto the trip.
I'm not at all saying none of these points are valid or not. Very good points by everyone. I myself would just prefer the canyon of Hwy 6 over the stop and go of going thru the little towns, especially with a trailer or load.

I also am a strong believer that when it's my time, I don't have a choice in the matter. But that's also not a green flag to drive like an idiot, like some people do on 6 from time to time. Just 2 weeks ago, I got passed on the right side, in heavy traffic, by a bobtail semi. That's when the defensive driving is crucial. ;)

Oh absolutely today will be bad. I live in Mt Pleasant. I have made the mistake a couple of times going north on a holiday Monday Labor and Memorial Day. Especially as the day gets later on. Last Memorial Day at 4pm when I turned from Highway 6 to 89 you couldn't seen the end of the traffic congestion to come out of the canyon. no wreck just so many people going from 4 lanes to 2 that it backs up and is a couple of hours to get through it. The earlier in the day the better.
That's probably where I benefit. I'm an early riser and ever earlier if I have to travel.
Normally, if I have to go North from Hanksville, I'm in SLC (surrounding area) by 9:00 when things open.
I avoid the rush hours and would rather just get a motel if traffic is getting too bad in the evenings while travelling.

I have that luxury while travelling. ;)

That's probably where I benefit. I'm an early riser and ever earlier if I have to travel.
Normally, if I have to go North from Hanksville, I'm in SLC (surrounding area) by 9:00 when things open.
I avoid the rush hours and would rather just get a motel if traffic is getting too bad in the evenings while travelling.

I have that luxury while travelling. ;)
oh yeah if you go early enough it's great. But if you are in the late afternoon early evening......... The back up is crazy.

The section between Wellington and I-70 is terrible! We avoid weekends and holidays traveling to Powell if possible. Between the Impatient speeders, the giant RV's, and the Semi's, There is always seems to be some kind of drama. Coming from nice uncrowded Wyoming, most all of Utah seems busy and swarming with people! I actually feel better once you get off of the interstate and out of the Wasatch Front...unless it is a holiday or weekend...

Curious what the time difference is when you are pulling a trailer and do not drive at the maximum speed limit on the interstate (going 70 mph)?

Not quite sure how that can be true unless you drive faster than the speed limit.
Green River Utah to Spanish Fork, Utah according to Mapquest.

Hwy 6 is 139 miles where the route you are talking is 196 miles. That's a 63 mile difference.
Drivetime. Hwy 6 takes 2 hours and 39 minutes and your route takes 2 hours and 51 minutes.

Unless you are breaking the speed limit, it can't be faster.
Not to mention all the extra fuel to cover the 63 extra miles in travel.

Myself??? I drive 75 or less on I-70 because at 80 mph, my 496 big block really has a drinking problem and it gets expensive. haha
Dave I’m not sure where you’re getting 63 miles difference, we don’t go to Green River? The news Sunday night said it added 2 hours to go on I-70 to SLC from Green River and I wondered where they got their information from and then they said ”hitting I-15 near Beaver”? I guess if you went that way it would add 2 hours. Of course it adds that 25 minutes for me to go down 6 to Nephi so I wouldn’t do it but 70 is not a bad alternative if there is a wreck or heavy traffic on 6. The 12 minute difference in your figures from mapquest is the difference of going to Green River which we don't go to Green River, so the drive may be a little longer in mileage but real close in time because of speed limit difference. Just an FYI for those that may want to avoid highway 6 on a busy weekend. Truthfully I like the "not crowded" I-70 drive so it doesn't matter to me at all how people get to I-15.

Dave I’m not sure where you’re getting 63 miles difference, we don’t go to Green River? The news Sunday night said it added 2 hours to go on I-70 to SLC from Green River and I wondered where they got their information from and then they said ”hitting I-15 near Beaver”? I guess if you went that way it would add 2 hours. Of course it adds that 25 minutes for me to go down 6 to Nephi so I wouldn’t do it but 70 is not a bad alternative if there is a wreck or heavy traffic on 6. The 12 minute difference in your figures from mapquest is the difference of going to Green River which we don't go to Green River, so the drive may be a little longer in mileage but real close in time because of speed limit difference. Just an FYI for those that may want to avoid highway 6 on a busy weekend. Truthfully I like the "not crowded" I-70 drive so it doesn't matter to me at all how people get to I-15.
I looked at this on the map yesterday after seeing the news and also saw that it added about 20 minutes to go through Gunnison and Nephi, which is right in line with your statement. That seems very minor. I have had a number of times where we had far greater delays on the usual route through US-6. Once, they were doing construction on the road about midway between Green River and Wellington and a truck plowed into the back end of another truck that was carrying (if you can believe it) dummy bombs for the USAF. What looked like bombs were all over the side of the highway, so everything got shut down for a good hour until they figured out there wasn't an issue and got things cleared out enough to resume the usual one lane at a time going through the construction zone, resulting in a 2-hour delay in 110F heat. The other times have been in Spanish Fork Canyon originating at the Diamond Fork junction and causing backups all the way past the Thistle Junction and in one case nearly to the rest area. It seems that the potential for mayhem is greater on US-6 than nearly any other road in the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back