Howard Oatman

Discussion in 'Lake Powell Recreation' started by ralph, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ralph

ralph Member

Howard passed away this afternoon after a heart attack

botnb likes this.
  2. wayne gustaveson

wayne gustaveson Administrator Staff Member

I am so sorry. Howard has been a large part of Wayneswords for many years with his spoons and north end reports. I send my love to his family and those that are missing him so much. Now I will put one of Howard's spoons next to one new wally lure that I still have in the box and have never used except for the memories...

3. Squirrel

Squirrel Well-Known Member

I also am sorry to hear of the passing of Howard. Goldie & I fished the canyons North of Bullfrog and kept running into him and his crew. I started vertical jigging that day. Prayers to his family from someone that only met him 3 times on the lake. I also have his jigs in my box. Goldie & Squirrel

4. Steve Moore

Steve Moore Well-Known Member

Howard was always the first to want to lend a hand in teaching someone how to catch striper. He had become such a great friend of my family. He loved having my grandson on his boat and was so patient with his 4 fishing poles he always wanted out. We will miss him tremendously on the Hooligan Too

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  5. TR.

TR. Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this. It was great to hang out with you guys on the hooligan for a few hours last year and talk flies and jigs. My thoughts and prayers go out to Howard, his family and his friends.

TR

6. GregC

GregC Well-Known Member

There are "new members", "members and "Well-known members", but there should be "Fixtures" for guys like Howard. He will be sorely missed. Good fishin' Howard!

GregC

7. Chet Garling

Chet Garling Well-Known Member

I am sad. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. His generosity knew no bounds, I will miss him. Ralph, Jim, Steve, Chet and others if you need something let me know.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  8. botnb

botnb Well-Known Member

Rest in peace, Howard. As said, another "fixture" gone . One original "Hooligan" !!! Howard was a VERY good man, and will be sorely missed by all of us - family and friends .

9. Lake Bum

Lake Bum Well-Known Member

Another great one gone. Never met the guy, but I know he was loved by many. Rest in Peace, Howard.

10. Kbass

Kbass Member

Howard was terrific. At every Shad Rally he would bring bags of his lures and give them away. He was one of a kind and will be missed. He was certainly a member of the WW family.

11. weeds

weeds Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. Not sure I met him, but probably did at one of the Rally's.
    He was very well known on WW.
    Rest in Peace.
    weeds

12. GoldCup

GoldCup Member

A great man and a true friend of Lake Powell. Howard made spoons for us out of lead but his heart was solid gold. He gave so much to so many, a true original who will be missed by all. IMG_1666.JPG
    Howard was always there to help when needed, coming to my aid more than once when I / we found ourselves stranded on the lake. To this great man Rest In Peace my friend. View attachment 831

13. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Kind, patient, generous to a fault, a master craftsman, skilled mechanic, striper slayer, a fountain of Lake Powell knowledge and an expert with a fillet knife. A man who loved fishing and Lake Powell and shared his knowledge about both with anyone who cared to listen. I am proud to say I was one of those.

Howard, I will miss hailing the Hooligan ll every time we tie up to the Exec. Services dock, hoping to get a response that you and Ralph are on board. I’ll also sorely miss the camaraderie and story telling on the back deck.

You left us too soon and too suddenly Howard. I am comforted in the fact that you were able to complete one last trip to the Lake, before you were taken from us to a better place.

Rest in Peace friend.

14. Todd

Todd Member

We lost a great friend and comrade who will be sorely missed.
    Rest in peace my friend!

15. Chet Garling

Chet Garling Well-Known Member

please pass on the time and place for the memorial.

ColoradoStriperKiller and botnb like this.
  16. Waterbaby

Waterbaby Administrator Staff Member

Really so sorry to hear we lost this good man. Prayers for his family.

17. Jack Herrin

Jack Herrin Active Member

Oh this is sad news. Howard was good man. He had made up some special spoons just for me and brought them to my house. They are still in my tackle box I will never forget. I will miss you Howard . Rest in peace

18. KYKevin

KYKevin Well-Known Member

Howard's wife just called me, and gave me the sad new's. I thought the world of Howard, he's a great man, and would do anything for any body. Your going to be greatly missed Howard, and the lake will never be the same.
    Love you Man.
    KyKevin

19. PowellBride

PowellBride Well-Known Member

Never met Howard, but felt I knew him a little through WW. Sorry for the family and friends who lost a loved one

20. Steve Moore

Steve Moore Well-Known Member

Ethel told me he wanted a party at the Lake. No time yet. I'm sure it will be a mini shad rally based off the Hooligan Too