• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

How safe is it to boat right now?

JTJ

Can you patch the phone into a lap top or note book and use the app on the bigger screen?

lakepowellnut

Ok...here goes! I use Lakemaster on my Ranger and in all my 40 years of boating at Lake Powell, I’ve never dinged my boat on a submerged rock, let alone ding my prop. Well, that all changed April 30 just south of Friendship. The sunlight that evening prevented be from being able to see due to the reflection, so I trusted Lakemaster and the channel markers...Big Mistake! Bam!!! Ruined my prop and lower unit. Limped back to the houseboat at the back of Last Chance and towed it back from there. The good news is it happened at the very last day of fishing and we were heading back for the night. The not so good news is the repair bill!

Gem Morris

Not to make you wallow in the mud but can you give more details about the location of that whale for everyone's benefit? And what did you see? Is it on the same side as Friendship and just downstream? By how much downstream?

lakepowellnut

Not to make you wallow in the mud but can you give more details about the location of that whale for everyone's benefit? And what did you see? Is it on the same side as Friendship and just downstream? By how much downstream?
It was the green buoy just to the right coming out of Friendship. I was pretty dialed in on Lakemaster and I was probably 20-30 yards to the right of the buoy. I also saw a video of two boat that ended up getting grounded at the same spot last week.

1620615235928.jpeg

TR.

Ok...here goes! I use Lakemaster on my Ranger and in all my 40 years of boating at Lake Powell, I’ve never dinged my boat on a submerged rock, let alone ding my prop. Well, that all changed April 30 just south of Friendship. The sunlight that evening prevented be from being able to see due to the reflection, so I trusted Lakemaster and the channel markers...Big Mistake! Bam!!! Ruined my prop and lower unit. Limped back to the houseboat at the back of Last Chance and towed it back from there. The good news is it happened at the very last day of fishing and we were heading back for the night. The not so good news is the repair bill!
Sorry that happened, glad no one got hurt. Unfortunately there will be more this year. I don’t trust the ATONS whatsoever, but GPS...usually. sounds like events conspired against you, with the exception of being on the last day lol. Good luck on the repairs, thanks for posting. Words to remember this year.

TR

drewsxmi

Are these navigation
Image dated today, but probably yesterday. Several surprises along the north (west) side of the channel.
Once you drop off the mesa the ground slopes down gently towards the old channel on the south side. (Hijack warning!) Anybody know where the marine charts get their data on underwater terrain? Soundings? USGS map data from pre-lake times? I'm not sure that I would trust the 1953 data for close elevation accuracy.

Michael Pyle

Was out on the lake this last weekend and it’s no different than any other time. There are always hidden things under the water regardless of the level. You just have to be cautious like always. Cutting corners will cost you as it always has.

I could argue that it’s safer now as the bays are less and mostly you are in the channels.

Mike

Phil

I agree with Mike.
The hazards are the same as they always are, just in different places. The lake is always changing and there are always rocks hidden just below the surface. I have been down every other weekend for the last couple of months. We launch at Bullfrog and have gone to the end of the San Juan, Escalante, and past Red canyon. We just use the map on our gps and stay in the middle of the channel when running, then go carefully while looking at the countors. Keep yours eyes open, dont cut corners. Lots of water in the middle.

JTJ

I have always had kayaks and the last trip was a very small boat on Powell. Kayaks only draw a few inches of water. Small boat about 1.5'. Very basic sounders. Big difference with a big boat or houseboat. Not so anxious to go right now.

SeaLegs

That's the spot. Definitely not a good location for a channel bouy. The rocks are above the water now.Screenshot_20210510-115901_resize_86.jpg