• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

How safe is it to boat right now?

Lukeg

I will be in Wahweap/Antelope Point for the next 10 days and then bullfrog next month. Has anyone been down there and actually boated? I want to take my wake boat but I'm worried about running aground. If you stay in the middle of the channel is it pretty safe to still go out? Please let me know if you've been out this year with these water levels.

drewsxmi

I will be in Wahweap/Antelope Point for the next 10 days and then bullfrog next month. Has anyone been down there and actually boated? I want to take my wake boat but I'm worried about running aground. If you stay in the middle of the channel is it pretty safe to still go out? Please let me know if you've been out this year with these water levels.
It's plenty safe if you pay attention to your surroundings, don't go where the water changes to lighter colors, boat when visibility is good, not at night, and so forth. Boat like you are on a completely new body of water without a chart. There is plenty of water in the main channels, and chatter on this board has mentioned a lot of surprise places where trouble lurks (off the Halls Crossing buoy field, for example). I was able to make a trip to the Escalante Arm and back without any issues, having only been in those waters once before. Know your buoys, and stay away from shelving shorelines. With a wakeboat I would be more worried about swamping in the channel from Wahweap and Antelope Point than running aground.

Ryan

What drew said. Lots of chatter here about the unmarked (or not well marked) hazards around Bullfrog. Be very cautions in Halls Creek if you go there as well.

We took our Ranger there last week. The next couple trips will be with the Malibu. There is still plenty of water (but don't tell anyone that - tell them you hear that Lake Mead is VERY nice this time of year.....;) )

Gem Morris

Since you’re going to Wahweap go to the far end of Wahweap Bay past Lone Rock. It’s a big wide open bay with a broad sandy bottom. Very little in there to surprise you. Just don’t get close to Lone Rock or the canyon that runs north of Lone Rock.

Dworwood

A friend of a friend saw a wake boat hit a submerged rock in GH this weekend, out in the middle he said. This is second hand so details might not be perfect. He said the prop went through the bottom of the boat and it threw some of them out of the boat in the water. No one around had a marine radio or communicator to call for help. The friend used their first aid kit to patch them up and another boat was helping them as well. They didn’t dare move or pull it to shore for obvious reasons like it might sink, it was taking on water and bilge pumps were running I was told. I do not know how it all turned out but I am certain that the grounding ruined their weekend and some of them had injuries from the grounding. Maybe the friend that was there will post about it but I don’t know that he will. Just saying there are hazards that none of us have seen for many years and everyone needs to pay attention to their driving. Be safe out there.

RatherBeFishing1

Recommend you download the Navionics Boating app onto your cell phone and set water level correction to minus 44 feet. Keep it in front of your eyes. The charts are very accurate.
Which one do you use? A search shows 3 that might be what you use; free, $4.99 and 79.99

Coho975

Navionics-Boating Marine and Lakes. The free one is a 7 day trial, I think its $15 for the iphone app, and $50 for the ipad app.

John P Funk

a wake boat hit a submerged rock in GH this weekend
We noticed that the point near the bathroom stuck way out in the bay. I suspect these kinds of points are prevalent all over the lake. Usually shore topography is similar to submerged topography, but occasionally there are surprises. We use Navionics as well, not the free version, but the $15 upgrade.

Maverick5207

I first used it on my phone. It's just a relatively cheap Android and it worked great. My only complaint was that the screen was too small so I found myself continually zooming in and out. Because of that, I wasn't paying as much attention to actually driving the boat as I I would have liked to so I bought a cheap GPS tablet, installed it on that, and I've been very happy with that so far. It's a 10 inch tablet and it works very well for me.

Capt. Ron

I use lakemaster on my humminbird helix at the bow. I also ended up getting navionic for the i phone and i pad mainly for ice fishing. It works great and it was only 15 dollars a year and i get it on both devices. Navionics seems to be a little more detailed but having one ore the other is a must for me...you will see shallow problem areas well before you get to them.

Slots-R-Us

Wear some polarized sunglasses to help see submerged rocks. The lake is very different right now because of the levels. Places that you might have boated over before without thought are now islands but the basics of sticking to the main channel, scouting unknown places at slower speeds, and keeping a sharp eye out are the same as always. The plus side is there are so many interesting things to see right now. We were in Lost Eden a couple of days ago and that canyon was far more interesting at this water level than it would be a full pool or even at the levels we've seen over the past few years. I'm cautious but really excited to explore up the Escalante this weekend.

Dmorty

Was trolling 2.5 miles an hour in reds, saw a soft rock/ sand hump just in time to kill and raise the motor before a prop strike. Luckily I was able to drop trolling motor from bow and pull myself off the hump and suffered no damage. But just an example of how quick stuff can happen even if you’re only going 2.5 mph and being hyper careful.

Dmorty

Wear some polarized sunglasses to help see submerged rocks. The lake is very different right now because of the levels. Places that you might have boated over before without thought are now islands but the basics of sticking to the main channel, scouting unknown places at slower speeds, and keeping a sharp eye out are the same as always. The plus side is there are so many interesting things to see right now. We were in Lost Eden a couple of days ago and that canyon was far more interesting at this water level than it would be a full pool or even at the levels we've seen over the past few years. I'm cautious but really excited to explore up the Escalante this weekend.
Lost Eden? Is that the section on the east side of the channel just south of the horn? I did a little sightseeing there the other day and was very intrigued at all the little canyons.