Houseboat almost sinks

chrisut

I saw some pictures of it on facebook and instagram, it was a monohull and the pictures seemed to show it completely tipping over after it got to the beach.

ROSCOELAB

Barts, that isn't Jimmys boat. that is the first Bravada yacht prototypes that was kept by the owner of unlimited houseboats, they modified the upper decks and then sold it the owners that had it tip. this is the boat that the grandma lost her arm when the slab counter crushed her arm on the way over.

Ryan

The craigslist ad that @BartsPlace posted is indeed the boat in the video that ended up on its side.

I emailed the seller. Although he claims that “it was only partially not completely on its side. Boat has been fully serviced and other than a few carpet stains is ready to go”.

Actually might be a decent buy......

BartsPlace

Staff member
Barts, that isn't Jimmys boat. that is the first Bravada yacht prototypes that was kept by the owner of unlimited houseboats, they modified the upper decks and then sold it the owners that had it tip. this is the boat that the grandma lost her arm when the slab counter crushed her arm on the way over.
You are correct. I was responding to a different question in the posts above mine. :)

potter water

I don't think it would be a good buy. There are so many hidden joints and systems that could have been jolted when that boat went over. I'm surprised it wasn't totaled by the insurance company and sold for scrap. Especially the upper deck area. House boat attachment aren't designed to withstand loads in sheer.

Ryan

I don't think it would be a good buy. There are so many hidden joints and systems that could have been jolted when that boat went over. I'm surprised it wasn't totaled by the insurance company and sold for scrap. Especially the upper deck area. House boat attachment aren't designed to withstand loads in sheer.
It very well could have been totaled by the insurance company. But that doesn't mean it would be sold for scrap.

When a houseboat I was an owner on went down, insurance deemed it a total loss, and cut the group a check. It also "exercised its option to not retain the boat", and left us with it. I sold it to someone who rebuilt the boat, and it is on the lake today. I found out later that this is a common practice.

So, for the right person, this could very well be a good buy.