Hite camping changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobco

the old saying beware of what you wish for. It seems since all the improvements up at Hite things have changed. The days of pulling up a piece of dirt for the weekend is over. Per Maggie at Hite "Because we have the new camping areas, there is no dispersed or primitive camping at Hite" well that not going to sit well for the old time Hite goers , let your overland millenniums use the new campsites and leave us alone down in the dirt! Don't think it needs to be this way, no need to try to force people to stay in campsites, let people do what they have done in the past.

thanks Maggie, I think everyone is happy to see Hite revitalized, it was a shame the condition it got to. I don't think most fisherman will be using the concrete ramp unless water levels get allot higher, the old primitive ramp which is what I foresee the fisherman using. From recent reports it sounds like the dock is not even in the water. My advice would be to restrict camping around the commercial rafters area of the concrete ramp. The old primitive area can remain that primitive. It does not sound like the NPS is willing to put any money or resources into that area, they have not spent a penny in years, dock is beyond trashed. I know for myself if your going to make me pay and stay in an established camp spot I will be loading camping gear into boat and going to Good Hope bay. I'm sure most northerners feel the same way. From what I have seen and heard about the focus overland ground base and rafter business, does not look like anything for the Lake fisherman, not as much as a load of gravel on the old dirt ramp. So you will have to excuse us fisherman for getting annoyed to pay more for nothing.

The rafters are actually using the primative ramp, the main ramp is currently not usable. Thank you for your input, I will pass it along.

I'll take the extra couple of hours to go into Blue Notch or Farley,
I have not spent the money and effort into making my camper "Off Road" compatible to get stuck in a camp ground.

Bruce

When the water comes up even fisherman will be using the new grounds. I foresee us using it in the off season as a good get away spot. The improvements are great. The store and the new solid hours are even better. We all sat in there a couple weeks ago in the little lounge and ate ice cream at the end of our trip.

Seriously though, for a few thousand more bucks some road base and gravel on the primitive spot would be awesome and all we’d ask for.

Are the rafters taking out at the primitive ramp at the current Hite? Or on the other side at the old Hite?

Being a southerner, my vote doesn't count but I'm of the same persuasion as Dungee. Magee and the Ticaboo crew have done something no one else has done since the docks were floated downriver from Hite so many years ago. Obviously Aramark didn't see a financial reward and I applaud the brave souls that have the vision to try and revitalize an area that could support a successful business. I'm no different than anyone else as far as loving the good old days and wanting to fish like I used to, but the fact is I don't mind being in a houseboat sleeping at night revitalized for the next early morning round of all day. And then again and again. Progress has it's ups and downs. It sometimes confuses me when people will spend thousands, if not tens of thousands to avoid paying $50. By the way Dungee, no county, state of federal goverment would do any road work for a few thousand dollars. Try $30 a foot. Stupid, but that is what goverment does. The River changes and we will too.

I remember when we could drive into Bullfrog and there was no entrance station to penalize us for using our public land. The fees pay for the salaries of more people to help collect the fees. I don't remember noticing a single improvement after the entrance fees started.

Last edited:
Apparently the overnight fee also applies to Farley - and has been listed as such for a while. Never been there along the road into it. Is there some sort of sign/fee collection kiosk along there?

Jimco, there are full hookup sites, but the ones right by the water are dry sites. There are a few water hookup sites on the concrete ramp.

For all of you wondering about ramp improvements: NPS has secured funding and begun the process of improvement on the ramp. At first the were going to have the concrete ramp extended, but they are currently working with a Hydrologist to determine if the primative ramp would be more viable. It sounds like that will be what they will do. It will be gravel, but it's a major project and will be loads better. NPS has a company already picked out to do it, and as soon as final plan is made, they are ready to roll. I was told once they are ready, the ramp will be made to usuable year round (extending to the river if need be) and will also be maintained year round.

Jimco, there are full hookup sites, but the ones right by the water are dry sites. There are a few water hookup sites on the concrete ramp.
Oops, that comment was for Tree. Jim, the iron ranger pay station at Farley's is way at the top of the campground, kind of by the vault toliets. It is super easy to miss. They need better signage. They had the same iron ranger here at Hite and we lived here 2 months before we even saw where it was. Apparently it was there for years at Hite, but don't think many people saw it at all.

I'm
When the water comes up even fisherman will be using the new grounds. I foresee us using it in the off season as a good get away spot. The improvements are great. The store and the new solid hours are even better. We all sat in there a couple weeks ago in the little lounge and ate ice cream at the end of our trip.

Seriously though, for a few thousand more bucks some road base and gravel on the primitive spot would be awesome and all we’d ask for.

Are the rafters taking out at the primitive ramp at the current Hite? Or on the other side at the old Hite?
I'm so glad you liked it!! Thanks for visiting us! The rafters are using the primative ramp, but they are also using the take out on the other side. They use this side for the extra large rafts. Before they were having to take out in bullfrog because the raft takeout across the lake from us wasn't big enough. I posted down aways about the ramp, they hopefully will get going with that soon. It's in the works.

We were there last week stayed in the rv park took our camper off and used the pick up to go to the ramp worked great.The only negative about the whole operation was no water for the fish cleaning station boy did we need one.I am sure that's out of Maggies control.We are going to use this welcomed facility all year long there are trails and lots to see in the area thanks Maggie and your crew for making it possible... Don

it would have been better with the fish cleaning station working but we did fine using a board and wash down hose and into lake and fed the crawdads the ranger happy he said somebody used the dumpsters a while back and things got pretty ripe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back