HB255 Implementation Update

dubob

We love our yearly Lake Powell boating trip and have done everything we could to prevent/delay it’s contamination with Aquatic Invasive Species (aptly referred to as an STD). Being from Arizona, storing our boat in Arizona, launching in Arizona I supported the initial decontamination efforts and have tolerated the Utah inspections the last few years at the top of the ramp. I hope Utah can keep it’s lakes clean of AIS and will do what I can to assist, short of paying the fee and taking the course. We own a second home in Utah and pay plenty of taxes to Utah. We end up in Utah waters for most of our time on Lake Powell. To clarify my responsibility for being on Utah waters this July I have read the statute HB255 in its entirety and the referenced 73-18-7 (and 73-18-9). It seems pretty straightforward to me, after reading the actual language, that non-Utah residents who have their boat registered properly in Arizona (probably most states) are exempt from having to pay the fee or take the course unless their boat is physically in Utah for more than 60 days a year. I will continue to cooperate with other efforts to contain and limit the spread of AIS.
The 60 day or less rule applys ONLY to your requirement to REGISTER your boat in Utah. If you use the boat 60 days or less in Utah, you do NOT have to register it in Utah. If you use it 61 days or more in Utah, then you will be required to also REGISTER it in Utah. There is no connection here to the new AIS program beginning July 1, 2020 as per HB255. Also, owning a home in Utah doesn't make you a resident of Utah unless you claim it as your primary residence. I don't believe it is legal to be a resident of more than one state at any given time, so choose wisely. If you operate your Arizona registered boat for ANY length of time in Utah, you WILL be required to pay the fee and take the course regardless of your feelings to the contrary. You are trying to read something into the Utah statutes that just isn't there. Good luck on getting away with it.
I live in Colorado and am facing the same situation. I know there will be people trying to collect the fee and I also read that unless you are subject to taxes on your boat you are not subject to the fee. I doubt seriously that someone collecting the fees is going to know and agree with that. I think they will do whatever they can to collect the fee or keep us off the water
You've been reading or hearing some urban myths. Paid taxes have absolutely NO bearing on the requirement for non-residents of Utah to pay the fee and take the course to operate certain watercraft on Utah water. That certainly isn't in the language of HB255 and isn't in any other statute that I'm aware of. What's going to be fun is watching the few folks that don't believe this new Utah law applies to them trying to convince Utah law enforcement officials that it doesn't apply to them and maybe telling the official to go pound sand. I hope you have a good lawyer on retainer. :LOL:

And before any of you jump my case about all this, I'm just trying to give you some facts to keep you out of trouble. Obey the new law; don't obey the new law. I don't care one way or the other. You and your lawyer can work out the details with the Utah legal system if you choose to ignore the new law or think it doesn't apply to you. Y'all have fun now; ya hear?

dubob

Still need to find out how to pay on line!! :)
If I could help with that, I would. I don't know myself at this point and too darn busy to research it at this time. Too many Gorge trips planned for salm on and too much salmon to get bottled up. I have 16 pints of salmon in the cooker as I write this and 6 more to do tomorrow. :cool:

Meatwagon

ARE YOU KIDDING ME, after trying 7 different usernames to start the course,I tried this one and yes it is also already in use 😅. Are they simply trying to steal personal information from people or what. I think I'll wait till they get the bugs worked out.

Cliff

Went to the website above stdofthe sea.utah.gov
On the opening page where it says "Non-resident fees and education" click on that
Toward the bottom on the next page where it says "Where can I pay the fee for a non-Utah boat"? Click on that
The third line says "payment portal" click on that (are we having fun yet?)
Next page says (at the top) New Registration click on that!!!
Now on the next page start filling out all the information
YOU'LL NEED YOUR BOAT REG NUMBER (AZ 'SOMETHING" ) AND A CREDIT CARD
YOU CAN'T GET HERE UNTIL YOU DO THE MUSSEL TEST AND PASS IT WITH 100%
When you get all done registering for payment it will allow you to print the page Do that BUT there is second page that they don't tell you about that you have to print also. SO MAKE SURE YOU PRINT BOTH LAST PAGES AND KEEP COPIES
The first one was just your payment receipt but the next on is the actual registration in Utah to show any interested party.
Hope you had as much fun as I did !!!!!!!! :-(

Cliff

ARE YOU KIDDING ME, after trying 7 different usernames to start the course,I tried this one and yes it is also already in use 😅. Are they simply trying to steal personal information from people or what. I think I'll wait till they get the bugs worked out.
What part of "Its a government program" escapes you? :) Its not designed to be user friendly, Its a government program!

dubob

In the entire history of man, there has NEVER been a software program written and released without bugs. NEVER! Deal with it. This program had a release date of July 1, 2020 and didn't even get to the developer until March of 2020. It's for a brand, spanking new process that will collect monetary payments and personal information from you. And all of you want it to be easy to use, 100% protective of your payment & personal information, and bug free. Microsoft, Apple, and a whole HOST of mega-software companies can't do that, but all of you expect the government to do it and then get all kinds of ticked off when they can't meet your expectations. Get over yourself, get er done by whatever it takes, and move on with your life. Politely tell them what doesn't work and what does work. Stop being such cry babies over it; it's NOT Armageddon. When you have to renew the payment next year, the process will have improved if not been perfected.

Meatwagon

In the entire history of man, there has NEVER been a software program written and released without bugs. NEVER! Deal with it. This program had a release date of July 1, 2020 and didn't even get to the developer until March of 2020. It's for a brand, spanking new process that will collect monetary payments and personal information from you. And all of you want it to be easy to use, 100% protective of your payment & personal information, and bug free. Microsoft, Apple, and a whole HOST of mega-software companies can't do that, but all of you expect the government to do it and then get all kinds of ticked off when they can't meet your expectations. Get over yourself, get er done by whatever it takes, and move on with your life. Politely tell them what doesn't work and what does work. Stop being such cry babies over it; it's NOT Armageddon. When you have to renew the payment next year, the process will have improved if not been perfected.
Wow, I never shed a tear. I was simply stating that I was wasn't able to do this online and it is no big deal. I'm not planning on going to the lake until after I retire and the weather cools down some. If I still can't complete it online I will do it in person at a regional department office. It is not Armageddon, just sharing of the information. Stay safe, be well and don't move a mussel ;)

Cliff

And all of you want it to be easy to use, 100% protective of your payment & personal information, and bug free.
I really don't think that is too much to ask of a payment portal taking sensitive financial information over the internet.
Especially in this day and age of computer identity theft.

Many many private companies have payment programs that are just that- easy to use, secure and safe and bug free.
The idea that it can't be done is disingenuous.
Forethought and planning seem to have taken a back seat to a knee jerk response of a problem long in debate.
A government program ostensibly to handle dealing with every outsider from every state in the nation was only given 4 months thought on how to make it happen? Poor planning doesn't ever work out good.

I've dealt with government "programs" on the internet since the net was invented (by whom we'll leave alone). Invariably every government portal for civilians to use is complicated and not intuitive by any means. Try working anything with the FAA on their website access portals Its an exercise in frustration.

This one from Utah is in fact, better than the FAA one, but it does show how lack of planning time bears on usability.
To bring such a program to fruition on the afternoon of the due date for use by the general public seems to have been a panic mode opening with way not enough planning and testing time allocated.

It is also egregious to expect everyone who want s to bring a boat to Utah over one of the biggest holiday weekends of the year to know about the program (only thought of 4 months ago) and use the payment portal 48 hrs before the weekend arrives. How many thousands of boats and people will be unable (either from no knowledge of the issue or from not being able to access the site) to take the test and pay the fee before they get to Utah? BTW there are people who have no internet presence what so ever. Some people just can't do it, what do we do with those folks? Ruin their vacation by sending them home because they had no computer or even heard about the program? How are the ones coming in from half way across the country to Utah to go boating (never having heard about this program dreamed up in 120 days before the biggest holiday weekend of the year), how are they going to be treated this coming weekend?

Just to make an edict and say you now have to take a test and pay a fee and not give ample time for the general public (especially from surrounding states) to prepare is short sighted.
I predict a lot of turmoil this coming weekend as thousands of folks get turned away (if that is the plan, as stated in the program)

I took the test and payed the fee but only knew about it because of the fine work of some of the posters here on WW
The rest of the country doesn't have that advantage

dubob

Many many private companies have payment programs that are just that- easy to use, secure and safe and bug free. The idea that it can't be done is disingenuous.
NOT the first time out of the starting gate and with less than 4 month's development time. I did NOT say it couldn't be done. I implied it's NEVER been done on the first try. My credentials in this area include being a Radar Systems Engineer for the Dept of Defense with assigned duties that included modifying software program code to more efficiently run black box test stands for F-16 fighter aircraft based on end user input. I DO have skills and knowledge in this area. At some point in the future, this new non-resident AIS process WILL be easy to use, it WILL protect your information (hopefully it's at least doing this already), and it WILL be bug free.

fastarget

We had taken the course late march, figured use the stay at home time, took 3 minutes (most to the time to pay and print LOL)to fill out the form and pay. Done.

Rivergoer

LP fun sure has become a lot of work and expense lately. But...all things considered still worth it.

My Lake Powell required fee and online course list for next year:

FEES
1) AZ Boat Registration - $35 (Per Watercraft)
2) NPS Annual Vehicle Pass - $80
3) Glen Canyon Annual Boat Pass - $50 (Per Watercraft)
3) DWR AIS Fee - $20
4) AZDOT Oversize Load Permit - $30 (Per Launch/Retrieve)

COURSES
1) DWR AIS Course (STDOFTHESEA.UTAH.GOV)
2) Page/Wahweap Local Boater Program (Arizona Powell Local Boater Program Registration)

Did I miss anything?

Updated 7/1/20 (Thanks eddy.price)

Last edited:

eddy.price

LP fun sure has become a lot of work and expense lately. But...all things considered still worth it.

My Lake Powell required fee and online course list for next year:

FEES
1) AZ Boat Registration - $35
2) NPS Annual Pass - $80
3) DWR AIS Fee - $20
4) AZDOT Oversize Load Permit - $30 (Per Launch/Retrieve)

COURSES
1) DWR AIS Course (STDOFTHESEA.UTAH.GOV)
2) Page/Wahweap Local Boater Program (Arizona Powell Local Boater Program Registration)

Did I miss anything?
Looks like you just need the $50 Lake Powell annual boat sticker and you are all set to go! :)