HB255 Implementation Update

Cliff

So I just went to the website STD of the Sea and what I read is-
In two places it says that the education aspect and the fee apply to any non-Utah resident that wants to launch an out of state boat IN UTAH.
The first paragraph "What Are These Requirements" it says and I quote "This fee must be paid prior to launch IN UTAH" (emphisis mine)
The second paragraph Who Does This Requirement Apply To" says and I quote "Both the $20 fee and mandatory online education will be required of owners of boats not currently registered in the state of Utah, but that will be launched within Utah."

So how does this jive with the paragraph :What if I Launch Outside the State of Utah " where it says "If the boat is used within Utah at any point, including on an interstate water, the boater must comply with the education and fee requirements."
The statements don't coincide with each other.

Under "How Long Is The Education Certificate Valid" it says it expires Dec 31 of the year taken (pay attention here)
Under "How Long Is The Payment Receipt Valid" It says it is valid 1 year from the date of issue (pay attention again!)

SO as it is set up to start July 1 2020 The payment will be valid for 1 year from date of issue (before 7/1/2020) BUT your education certificate will drop dead the last day of December THIS YEAR! So now you have to take the test twice this year AND remember that the boat payment doesn't track the same date as your education certificate They are 6 months apart. BTW Residents pay $10 per year for the same thing.

Are we to assume that all the boats tied up at Wahweap and Antelope and on the hook at Wahweap are to have the education and certificate before they leave their mooring? What if the houseboat never leaves the dock?

Inquiring minds want to know

Last edited:

Rivergoer

To enforce this wouldn’t Utah DNR or a Utah Sheriff need to be out on the water patrolling LP? (At the south end, DNR seems to only be visible at the top of launch ramps doing AIS enforcement/inspections).

All I’ve ever seen out on the water are NPS rangers, no DNR or Utah Sheriffs. In my experience, NPS rangers just make sure LP boaters have current state registration (any state) and GCNRA boating fees are paid.

But then again, being a south-ender who rarely makes it past the San Juan, maybe I just haven’t been far enough up lake to see Utah LEO’s patrolling......?

Keith Stockman

I've done the course. Now how do I go about paying the fee? I live in Colorado. Some comprehensive information would really be nice! The only lake I've ever gone to in Utah is Powell so I'm in no danger of contaminating anything; just want to stay in compliance.

dubob

I've done the course. Now how do I go about paying the fee? I live in Colorado. Some comprehensive information would really be nice! The only lake I've ever gone to in Utah is Powell so I'm in no danger of contaminating anything; just want to stay in compliance.
I sent you a PM (started a conversation).

Leardriver

I hope this becomes clear as time passes. We are going to go to the lake on August 13th. We take our sterile clean boat to get it contaminated at Powell.

NOwens

So I just went to the website STD of the Sea and what I read is-
In two places it says that the education aspect and the fee apply to any non-Utah resident that wants to launch an out of state boat IN UTAH.
The first paragraph "What Are These Requirements" it says and I quote "This fee must be paid prior to launch IN UTAH" (emphisis mine)
The second paragraph Who Does This Requirement Apply To" says and I quote "Both the $20 fee and mandatory online education will be required of owners of boats not currently registered in the state of Utah, but that will be launched within Utah."

So how does this jive with the paragraph :What if I Launch Outside the State of Utah " where it says "If the boat is used within Utah at any point, including on an interstate water, the boater must comply with the education and fee requirements."
The statements don't coincide with each other.

Under "How Long Is The Education Certificate Valid" it says it expires Dec 31 of the year taken (pay attention here)
Under "How Long Is The Payment Receipt Valid" It says it is valid 1 year from the date of issue (pay attention again!)

SO as it is set up to start July 1 2020 The payment will be valid for 1 year from date of issue (before 7/1/2020) BUT your education certificate will drop dead the last day of December THIS YEAR! So now you have to take the test twice this year AND remember that the boat payment doesn't track the same date as your education certificate They are 6 months apart. BTW Residents pay $10 per year for the same thing.

Are we to assume that all the boats tied up at Wahweap and Antelope and on the hook at Wahweap are to have the education and certificate before they leave their mooring? What if the houseboat never leaves the dock?

Inquiring minds want to know
I see that the language is a bit confusing, and will be clarified. Thanks for pointing that out. The fee and education requirements are based on USE in Utah, so the "launch" language will be removed. That was drafted prior to the inclusion of interstate waters.

The fee and education certificates don't coincide because rule changes and AIS regulations, program changes, etc., typically occur over the winter and take effect the following spring/summer. Those changes need to be included in the education course and all boaters need to be made aware of those prior to the start of the peak boating season.

All slipped/moored boats will be subject to these requirements as long as they are used within Utah. If they remain moored in AZ, or any other state for that matter, they will not have to comply with these requirements.

RickSifish

So I am to understand... if we launch tomorrow at Powell in Utah.. we don’t have to comply.. but after July 1 we must have paid our fee and have taken the online course/ or fill out the one time use form at the launch.?

Cliff

The clarification will be very helpful to out of staters
I guess the fee and education will be handled at the border inspection stations like at St George for those from Nevada and California, coming in for their trip to Powell? I don't see them getting the information on the new rules before they leave Las Vegas of Los Angeles

I went by the ramp at Waheap today to ask about the new program and not one person at the inspection area knew anything about it.

Now something interesting - I parked at the top and went over to ask my questions to the group at the inspection shed. I try to "social distance" so I stopped several feet away from the group of "workers" (AZ and UT and NRA folks) A group of 4 of them were sitting shoulder to shoulder, cheek to jowl in folding chairs just gabbing away in their group.

I stopped and started to ask my questions and another "badged" NRA person came running over to order me (with a very stern face and demeanor) to step back to six feet. Now, I was at least 5 feet away, maybe 5 1/2 feet away from their little group. If I had had a tape measure I would have taken it out the see how many inches I was "in violation" of the "requested" distance. Really over the top considering their little group and how far I was away. I literally took 1/2 a step back to satisfy the "personal distance police".
This is getting way out of hand. Common sense is not visible anywhere. Do as I say, not as I do?

DeepVee

Will they collect the fee at the entrance booths?
Yeah, that's my thing. Collect the fee at the entrance and give us a certification sticker at the entrance booths and I'm fine with it. Otherwise this behind the scenes, Oh and BTW you should of had this certification type of thing is a bunch of crap. Are they going to inform people entering the park that they need the certification if they go into UT waters?

dubob

I sent you a PM (started a conversation).
I'm in the same boat. Pun intended.
I'm not very good with puns. Since you quoted me, I assumed your point (whatever it is) was directed at me. However, comma, since there isn't anything in my INBOX (conversation), the point went WAY over my head.

Or were you REALLY responding to this?

NOwens

Thank you for your interest in making sure you stay in compliance. The fee goes into effect on July 1. No fee is required until then. The online payment portal is being developed and will be available in the next couple weeks to begin processing payments.

NOwens

So I am to understand... if we launch tomorrow at Powell in Utah.. we don’t have to comply.. but after July 1 we must have paid our fee and have taken the online course/ or fill out the one time use form at the launch.?
Yes, the fee must be paid for all non-resident motorized boats starting July 1. No fee nor education requirement applies until then. As of July 1st, non-residents will also have to complete the online education course, which produces a completion certificate at the end that takes the place of the single-use forms on the ramp. As long as that course completion certificate is displayed on the dash of your launch vehicle, you will be good. Starting July 1, the single-use forms will only apply to resident boaters that do not wish to take the online education course.

NOwens

I have taken and passed the course but there was no way to pay the fee. Will they collect the fee at the entrance booths?
The fee will be paid online. The online payment portal is being finalized and will be available in the next couple weeks. These fees will not be collected at the entrance gates to Lake Powell. Payment in person will also be an option at any of the DWR regional offices. More options may be offered as this new program develops.

NOwens

Yeah, that's my thing. Collect the fee at the entrance and give us a certification sticker at the entrance booths and I'm fine with it. Otherwise this behind the scenes, Oh and BTW you should of had this certification type of thing is a bunch of crap. Are they going to inform people entering the park that they need the certification if they go into UT waters?
The fee will be paid online through a payment portal that will be live in the next couple weeks. These fees will not be collected at the entrance gates to Lake Powell. Payment in person will also be an option at any of the DWR regional offices, and other options may be offered at a later time. No stickers will be provided. A printout receipt and/or digital mobile receipt will be provided and will serve as proof of compliance.

Squirrel

Maybe this should be on its own thread!! As far as the “Local Boater Prograg” goes,its easy. At the mussel inspection station you give them a copy of your mussel cert, local storage invoice and sign the paperwork they supply. They give you a sticker for the boat and your done. Tow your boat the marked lane for local boaters, they see the sticker and your done. No inspection of the boat. Sq

Last edited: