Hauling fuel: a post only lake nerds would care about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marina Bum

I joke with my buddies at the lake that I'm a drinker with a boating problem. I love boats, I think about boats, I work on boats, I buy and sell boats and I love driving boats especially on Lake Powell. I currently have 6.5 vessels registered in my name, each one has a purpose, one is currently for sale, I only bought two this year, in the past ten years or so I've owned about 20 different boats. (The first step to recovery is realizing and admitting that you have a problem) Most of them were not expensive, it's a hobby and a passion. I do most all of the work myself.

The most recent purchase was this 1988 22 foot sea swirl with a very deep V and a big V8 engine, I paid $500 for it. I didn't have to put much into it either to get it going, lucky! Runs and drives well. A perfect crud cutter, a great boat for one or two people to boat camp out of. It's in good shape, it's got beautiful lines, lots of teak wood and chrome. They don't build boats like this anymore. And now it's finding a second life as my fuel hauler.

The tanks came off the last houseboat that I bought, I didn't like how much space they took up on my deck. I can haul 200 gallons at a time now from town and save a thousand dollars a fill up. My 98 58 foot Jamestowner houseboat holds 200 gallons, I only burn ethanol free high octane fuel since it's engines are carbureted. On the lake it's $10.00 a gallon and in town it's $5.00. In other words $2000 vs 1,000. I have to drive in to go to Wallmart anyway, might as well save a thousand. If this works out like I hope I'll get the interior redone and keep this boat. I can tow it up lake too.

Before anyone starts talking danger and safety these are aluminum purpose built fuel tanks with a gasoline rated sureflow pump and I'll ground them to the batteries. The boat has a 3,000 lb load capacity by the tag, when the tanks are full together they will weigh about 1400 lbs. the trailer is tandom axel and it has surge brakes, I tow with a HD2500 Duramax truck. I'm trying to stay safe, this isn't a "hold my beer and watch this" endeavor but feed back is welcomed. As with any sitution involving machinery the qualified and cautious operator is the ultimate safety device 2A946491-DE1A-415A-BA70-1357F0E2B176.jpeg

E28E5FAD-C3D6-4D19-8F04-A8BBF4C68931.jpeg

B54C94A1-4549-4551-B658-45AFE7DAF2D6.jpeg50B3D89F-CE6F-4E8C-962C-8214460E6448.jpeg

Attachments

• C2EF4B11-D5CB-402B-BCF5-8DA1C221DDB6.jpeg
    C2EF4B11-D5CB-402B-BCF5-8DA1C221DDB6.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I LOVE THIS GUY JUST ON THE PREMISE OF CREATIVITY!!!

My only, hopefully constructive, feedback is that your boat's center of gravity is going to be substantially affected when those are full. Just be cautious/cognizant about roll angles, please. Obviously, you'll draw them down together. If the boat is listing to one side the fuel will just keep-on-a-flowin' to the 'lowest' tank. So, you may desire to insert check valves in each fuel tank's feed line to prevent 'backflow' and/or ensure you turn off at least one of the tank's fuel valves when not running (e.g., parked on a beach whilst not completely level side-to-side). Looking forward to hearing how she goes.

(thread probably belongs in; "Lake Powell Recreation")

I LOVE THIS GUY JUST ON THE PREMISE OF CREATIVITY!!!

My only, hopefully constructive, feedback is that your boat's center of gravity is going to be substantially affected when those are full. Just be cautious/cognizant about roll angles, please. Obviously, you'll draw them down together. If the boat is listing to one side the fuel will just keep-on-a-flowin' to the 'lowest' tank. So, you may desire to insert check valves in each fuel tank's feed line to prevent 'backflow' and/or ensure you turn off at least one of the tank's fuel valves when not running (e.g., parked on a beach whilst not completely level side-to-side). Looking forward to hearing how she goes.

(thread probably belongs in; "Lake Powell Recreation")
Good advice, thank you. The pump is set up to draw from each tank with manual valves. You will be able draw them down together or individually. Probably does belong in recreation, this is maybe my second time posting, I suppose it's to late to move it now.

Might be a good idea to do the first test with only half full to see how the boat floats and performs,
Then maybe go more next time,
Gas weighs about 6.07 pounds per gallon, so totally full would be 1,200 pounds,

I had a friend way back when that spent all winter building a perfect slalom ski,
Great big fin and very nice,
First time we go out he throws it in the lake, and it immediately sank, good bye.

Might be a good idea to do the first test with only half full to see how the boat floats and performs,
Then maybe go more next time,
Gas weighs about 6.07 pounds per gallon, so totally full would be 1,200 pounds,

I had a friend way back when that spent all winter building a perfect slalom ski,
Great big fin and very nice,
First time we go out he throws it in the lake, and it immediately sank, good bye.
He should have put the plug in🤣

Nice buy for $500. I also buy and sell boats so I understand the disease lol. Super creative, smart use of that boat to haul fuel. Better than the boat ending up in a landfill. Super cool looking boat that would probably be a rewarding top to bottom overhaul.

Other than agreeing with @The Oracle that center of gravity potentially being an issue would be a suggestion to evaluate how the tanks are secured. You didn't mention anything about welding up a support structure so I envision these either sitting on or bolted to a plywood deck. If so, that probably won't be enough.

On road and on lake can be very rough. If they get loose they will be a hazard to you and the public.

I have about a dozen of those VP Racing fuel cans that I've been toting up and down Heart-attach Hill at Wahweap for the last several years. It's just been a huge pain to tote those around. We go out a lot so it's a constant thing all summer. It seems my houseboat tanks are never filled completely, I'm just always dumping more cans in, carting cans up and down the hill.

So I'm looking foreword to using this set up. I really don't see myself hauling the boat on the road much except between Page and Wahweap. I'll keep it stored in town so I can just grab it when I'm running errands, fill it and bring it back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back