Hauling fuel: a post only lake nerds would care about

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it! Have you considered renting it out?!? 🤣

That would be great to have uplake and would save some painfully and time consuming gas runs.
Yes, and If it drives well, is reliable and stable I could imagine it going south out of the Padre area for a refill run to get fuel at Antelope while others play and surf. Maybe I could recruit someone else on the trip, someone like my older cousin who was a CB in Vietnam, still drives heavy equpment(capable) to make that trip for us, send him with the credit card. Someone like that might enjoy doing it and I wouldn't have to.(lol) It's a concept anyway. Special capabilities on the lake are always awesome!
Minimally it will be an at idle fuel shuttle between Wahweap Ramp and the back of my houseboat on P dock. Once the tanks are emptied it can make a good spare bedroom tied off there, I have one of those portable Marine Air units that sit on top of the bow and pump AC into the cuddy through the hatch. My on lake dog house! It's always good to be prepared

Do the tanks have baffles? That might be a concern if running 1/2 full and making turns -- the fuel movement could cause some issues based on attachment points
That's a good point, I doubt they do, maybe I should pull a bung and send in my camera. These are pretty much the type of tanks that are used for refueling heavy equpment from the back of your pickup truck. IDK if those are baffled. Maybe it's best to keep them full or empty. Thank you

I LOVE THIS GUY JUST ON THE PREMISE OF CREATIVITY!!!

My only, hopefully constructive, feedback is that your boat's center of gravity is going to be substantially affected when those are full. Just be cautious/cognizant about roll angles, please. Obviously, you'll draw them down together. If the boat is listing to one side the fuel will just keep-on-a-flowin' to the 'lowest' tank. So, you may desire to insert check valves in each fuel tank's feed line to prevent 'backflow' and/or ensure you turn off at least one of the tank's fuel valves when not running (e.g., parked on a beach whilst not completely level side-to-side). Looking forward to hearing how she goes.

(thread probably belongs in; "Lake Powell Recreation")
Well when they are full , he can double up as a wake boat!!!! :D

Just wondering, I don’t see any vent lines on the tanks in the pictures. Venting the tanks will be critical for expansion in the sun and to allow air to replace the fuel as your pumping. I really like the concept.

Just wondering, I don’t see any vent lines on the tanks in the pictures. Venting the tanks will be critical for expansion in the sun and to allow air to replace the fuel as your pumping. I really like the concept.
Thanks for your feedback, There are stubby rubber vent risers and breather caps on the tanks just behind the bucket seats, I think they are partially hidden by the cushion in the tank. I've thought about plumbing them through the hull just below the gunnel about a foot above the tank if necessary, if sloshing let's liquid fuel escape the shorter riser.

I'm still not sure about a lot of stuff, I need to get it out on the water with the tanks full and see how it affects the stability of the boat. If it checks out then I may tow it on up lake trips full of fuel but if it's sketchy at speed on rough water then I'll relegate it to idling between the ramp and the back of my houseboat as a fuel barge. I'll still save a lot of money and feed my carbureted motors better fuel for them than is available on the docks at Wahweap.
I've been hauling cans up and down the hill in a cart 5 gallons at a time, I'm
looking forward to not doing that anymore. 🤞

Thanks for your feedback, There are stubby rubber vent risers and breather caps on the tanks just behind the bucket seats, I think they are partially hidden by the cushion in the tank. I've thought about plumbing them through the hull just below the gunnel about a foot above the tank if necessary, if sloshing let's liquid fuel escape the shorter riser.

I'm still not sure about a lot of stuff, I need to get it out on the water with the tanks full and see how it affects the stability of the boat. If it checks out then I may tow it on up lake trips full of fuel but if it's sketchy at speed on rough water then I'll relegate it to idling between the ramp and the back of my houseboat as a fuel barge. I'll still save a lot of money and feed my carbureted motors better fuel for them than is available on the docks at Wahweap.
I've been hauling cans up and down the hill in a cart 5 gallons at a time, I'm
looking forward to not doing that anymore. 🤞
When the tanks are full where would you guess the vertical center of gravity (not sure how to say that) is? Above the water line or below the water line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back