Halls Fuel Dock Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowellBride

Staff member
FYI- The Halls fuel dock is closed. Sorry I don't know why or for how long. We discovered empty docks and a big yellow boom across the front of the dock about 3 this afternoon. Went to Bullfrog fuel with the houseboat and all we learned was it had been closed for "awhile"

Probably, but I don't really know, I was busy towing a wakeboat with 6 kids on board that ran out of gas. We discovered them a few miles from Halls and towed them in, only to find the fuel dock closed.

They had come up from Warm Springs, expecting to easily see Dangling Rope and get gas there. No map, didn't see DR, no radio, and ran out of gas at the buoy near Halls Creek. Multiple boats ignored thier efforts to flag someone down. Way to choppy to try to hook them to the houseboat. After I had them hooked up to the speedboat some jerk in a cabin cruiser came whipping by, within 150 feet, throwing up huge wakes, making me wish the language and hand gestures I wanted to use were appropriate for children to see/hear.

Fortunately our HB went ahead and stopped at the pump out in Halls, before heading to BF for gas, so we got them enough gas to get to BF for a proper fill up. After we got them some gas the engine wouldn't start. Didn't feel like we could just leave them, so the guys went to BF with the houseboat, while I waited to see if the wakebaot needed more assistance.

I believe in lake karma. Plus I'd love to say I never had the need to be on the receiving end of a tow or helping hand, but I can't. I'm grateful for the times I received help. If you don't help others, you shouldn't expect it yourself. I agree birdsnest you have to do it, but that's not always shared value based on what we've observed, and what these folks shared with us. Dozens of boats just drove past despite thier efforts to flag someone down.

I do wish that as part of the exchange at the gate, while collecting the entrance fee, the rangers would give 1st timers a bit of advice. Strongly encourage the purchase of a map, and some warning that gas and services are far and between.

When you mentioned the exchange at the gate I immediately thought of St. Peter asking why those who drove by did drive by those in need, and the possible exchange that followed. Karma?

I think people need to know how to flag someone down.. a wave probably won't do it anymore, especially when the lake is really busy.

I learned as a child that if I intend to flag someone down, I tie a life jacket to an boat oar and hold that up.

Is this still true? Or would people wonder what I was doing with that life jacket on the oar?

Does anyone know if bullfrog or DR is now selling higher octane than regular? I always refueled at Halls because they had high octane and now I am in a bit of a quandary.

Thanks.

TR

Does anyone know if bullfrog or DR is now selling higher octane than regular? I always refueled at Halls because they had high octane and now I am in a bit of a quandary.

Thanks.

TR
Earlier this year (spring time) DR did not have high octane....

Thanks.

TR
Is Halls STILL closed? I thought they'd be open by last weekend

That would nice, I'll find out tomorrow. I'll be down on the San Juan for 10 days starting tomorrow. Maroon/white reinell with maroon Bimini. Feel free to say hi.

TR

That would nice, I'll find out tomorrow. I'll be down on the San Juan for 10 days starting tomorrow. Maroon/white reinell with maroon Bimini. Feel free to say hi.

TR

You are going to come back "The Extra Crispy TR" on this trip. Have fun. Sq

Reactions: TR.
I always have a case of octane booster for my trips. My boat doesn't like low octane to begin with, add in the "Powell factor" and I think it is just good to have.

I think people need to know how to flag someone down.. a wave probably won't do it anymore, especially when the lake is really busy.

I learned as a child that if I intend to flag someone down, I tie a life jacket to an boat oar and hold that up.

Is this still true? Or would people wonder what I was doing with that life jacket on the oar?

The life jacket on an oar would get my attention. A handheld flare would also work.

There are people who are looking for anything out of the ordinary and would notice a handkerchief waving and then there are those who are so self-absorbed with themselves, they wouldn't respond to anything. It's important to be able to get someones attention but much more important to get the attention of someone who cares. Unfortunate that society is leaning toward "don't want to get involved" although I am convinced boaters are better.

We've stopped and helped people a few times, most boaters will give a slight wave to one another when eye contact is made. Anything more aggressive than that(both arms waving, flag waving, oar with life jacket) would certainly get my family to stop and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back