Gizzard Shad Record

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
The biggest gizzard shad caught on hook and line was 22.5 inches long. It was not officially weighed. If you catch a gizzard shad that is 22 inches or better please get it weighed and then submit it to me for a new lake record. A big shad was caught recently and posted in another thread but not officially weighed. Here is your chance to get ahead of Sam Sherwood :p

Gizzard Shad*** 2014 3.5 lbs 22.5 in Sam Sherwood Friendship Cove ***Not weighed on certified scale

OH come on WG, give that old man Sam a break! First you cut at least 2 lbs off the fish weight and now you're offering HUGE rewards for anyone that can best the measley 3.5 lbs you assigned to that obvious 6 lb + fish. I just want to rest in peace with this superb trophy sought after species!! Or not...

OH come on WG, give that old man Sam a break! First you cut at least 2 lbs off the fish weight and now you're offering HUGE rewards for anyone that can best the measley 3.5 lbs you assigned to that obvious 6 lb + fish. I just want to rest in peace with this superb trophy sought after species!! Or not...
The pressure is on. All you have to do is catch another big one and weigh it for the all time Lake Powell Record. Should be easy for you. ;)

One fall there was a school zipping around the rincon, kept trying to convince myself they were stripers......no takes
They are fun to watch when they're spawning. The males chase the female waiting to fertilize her eggs. They can give you quite a scare if you're bank fishing and don't notice them coming.

My brother in-law caught this bad boy in October of 2019. Didn't measure it's length but put it on the scale and it weighed 2.5lbs.

Could not have been any women along on that trip. No way they would have let you have that stinking thing in the house.

My son caught this nice one last week. He had no idea what it was.

Attachments

• IMG_14791(1).jpg
    IMG_14791(1).jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 225
I thought I heard at one time years ago that when the gizzard shad reached a certain larger size overall in the lake they would be fodder for the stripers to grow larger than the 5-7 pound range as the threadfin shad didn't offer enough calories for the stripers to grow bigger ( like up to 20+ pounds). Maybe its just the voices in my head.

So where are all the big stripers that were supposed to grow huge when the gizzard shad matured? :)

Back