Fuel Prices at Powell

nzaugg

We always bring gas cans, but those are gone after the first couple of days in the PWC and ski boats. If someone goes back to the marina mid week, we have had a boat pulled and gas cans filled again, but that is not optimal. Usually, we pull into the marina and look the other way as the numbers on the pump begin to resemble the national debt clock. I completely agree with Boatingtopgun... If you can afford to go to Lake Powell, you can afford the gas. That gas pays for more than just your fuel around the boat, since it supports many other operations around the lake.

Moe Jones

For the amount of fuel that the marina's consume I bet they make decent coin on the fuel. My local ski area in colorado buys propane at 20,000 gallons at a time and pays about .26-.30 a gal. While in town if you want to buy it by the gallon it's about 3.49....
First, I am a fuel distributor and also do propane. i can tell you that if LPG were available any where for less that $1.50 / gallon at any pipeline or refinery in the winter months it would not be in Colorado. A semi holds around 10,000 gallons. Bottled propane in Colorado must be filled by the pound. There is quite a bit of training involved in filling and certifying cylinders for filling. This is part of the reason you will see the exchange bottles. A retailer can charge what they seem fit to charge as it is time consuming and most do not do it constantly. if used as motor fuel there also are excise taxes and sales taxes to pay. I hope this will clear up the $0.26-0.30 cent statement. Containers are referred to as "20LB, up to 100# bottles, not as so many gallon bottles.
Also, the fuel for Aramark could also come from Rollins Wyoming where the Sinclair refinery is. or there is a small terminal in Bloomfield NM. for the northern lake. I know their propane comes from the Ignacio harvest midstream plant for Bullfrog and Halls Crossing.

But, I think the conversation was about liquid petroleum not LPG.

JFRCalifornia

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
…or you get creative and do what I did when I was just at lake this past week:

Rent a pontoon boat that is in basic disrepair, politely complain that no one seemed to clean, maintain or prepare the boat for going out. Then tell them you’ve been coming for years and know how to strategically write bad reviews. Then ask them what they intend to do about all this, considering the money changing hands in a rental.

They told me they would comp the gas in my boat. I said okay. I’ll take free gas for 5 days.

Full report coming soon. Spoiler alert—it involves a chance encounter with a WW member who helped me out of a tough situation, and to whom I owe a big debt of gratitude…. there are some really great people on the lake….

mmarincic

I just got home from Powell and had to get gas at Antelope Point and they would not haul gas on their carts. Had to buy gas at the dock. Ethanol free was $8.00

Boat 405

First, I am a fuel distributor and also do propane. i can tell you that if LPG were available any where for less that $1.50 / gallon at any pipeline or refinery in the winter months it would not be in Colorado. A semi holds around 10,000 gallons. Bottled propane in Colorado must be filled by the pound. There is quite a bit of training involved in filling and certifying cylinders for filling. This is part of the reason you will see the exchange bottles. A retailer can charge what they seem fit to charge as it is time consuming and most do not do it constantly. if used as motor fuel there also are excise taxes and sales taxes to pay. I hope this will clear up the $0.26-0.30 cent statement. Containers are referred to as "20LB, up to 100# bottles, not as so many gallon bottles.
Also, the fuel for Aramark could also come from Rollins Wyoming where the Sinclair refinery is. or there is a small terminal in Bloomfield NM. for the northern lake. I know their propane comes from the Ignacio harvest midstream plant for Bullfrog and Halls Crossing.

But, I think the conversation was about liquid petroleum not LPG.
He doesn't buy it in winter. He buys it mid summer. That lasts him the season. I do all the boiler maintenance on site at the ski area. I have no reason to bluff on this subject. He has about a dozen LPG boilers at the ski area.

Getting back to my point, when you are buying in bulk it's a very wide spread from the cost of 5 gallons vs 20,000 gallons. Much the same to when buying gasoline in bulk vs. the average consumer at the pump.