Fuel Prices at Powell

So here in the Phoenix region we have seen fuel prices drop quite a bit. We are even seeing some $3.XX per gallon start to pop up. It seems fuel prices are dropping nicely across the nation yet what gives a Powell? I have been boating my entire life and always expect higher prices at the lake (a $1-2 difference being typical), but what they currently are seems like serious price gouging. Doubling the going National rate does not feel right and certainly kills the fun for anyone on a budget (Bull Frog at $7-8). Shouldn't the price be coming down like it is everywhere else?

nzaugg

I believe they pay a spot contract price for fuel services and don't have the leeway to adjust them as much as retailers. When prices ran up really fast, they were well below the typical differential. Now that prices are dropping, they are stuck on the old contract rate. Not a great situation for on-the-lake filling.

I believe they pay a spot contract price for fuel services and don't have the leeway to adjust them as much as retailers. When prices ran up really fast, they were well below the typical differential. Now that prices are dropping, they are stuck on the old contract rate. Not a great situation for on-the-lake filling.
That makes sense. Still stinks but I get it.

Wow, low $3s is amazing (sad that I am even saying that) and hopefully it makes its way to LP. We are gonna have to load up on fuel somewhere that's not Bull Frog and save the money. My neighbor has a portable 50 gallon gas caddy with a pump I will be borrowing to help save as well. Anything to avoid BF prices.

Dorado

Escalante-Class Member
Not so free market…$3.25 in Casper, Wy, $4.75 Jackson, $3.89 in Pinedale, Wy. It is not that long a drive between any of these places, and historically Jackson has been Cheaper then Pinedale. Eastern Idaho (and I assume Utah) also crazy high $$. I cannot remember such a large disparity in price over relatively short distances. Tourist towns always more, but $1.50 more per gallon? Seems a wee bit fishy…

Gem Morris

Escalante-Class Member
I've long searched for the answers to this question (and this is a question, NOT statements).

95% (maybe even 100%) of northern Utah's fuel comes from the Uinta Basin in the form of crude oil that is trucked on US 40 (past Strawberry Reservoir) in large tankers to 4 oil refineries in North Salt Lake where it is refined.

I argue therefore, that we are in a "oil bubble", isolated from outside influences on supply and demand and price.

If all the above is true, why do our gas/diesel prices in northern Utah fluctuate at all?

Maybe someone on this board knows?

Maverick5207

HAH, and we in Kalifornia still roll merrily along in the high 5s and 6s!!!! Fuel prices get lower our illustrious govna just adds more taxes to em!!!! Damn I need to get outta here!!
Best thing I've ever done for myself andy family was to get out of Kali.
I recently drove from Phoenix to Marysville. Took the Tehachepi route then on to 99 and north to Sacramento. Hwy 99 was an absolute disaster. How politicians stay in power with roads like that considering the Kali fuel taxes is beyond me not to mention the homeless situation. I was in total disbelief when I arrived in Marysville. I was shocked to see homeless people lined in the streets in downtown Marysville. They set up booths on the main drag where they stayed all day asking for help. It was almost inhumane if you ask me.
I asked one of the guys behind the cash register at a gas station how he works there and he said he wouldn't work there if he wasn't allowed to carry concealed because they get robbed about every other day.
Yup. The Golden State. Not anymore.
Roving smog check stations are now in place. As of Jan. 1st, all commercial and any vehicle over 14,000 lbs coming into Kali will be smog tested before being allowed to enter. That means almost all motorhomes. Even if they are registered out of state. By 2025, smog checks required twice a year and by 2027, it will be required quarterly. All at owners expense. Not much is going to stop them from testing every vehicle at any and all entry points.
What a state.
Ok. Sorry for the rant.
Bart, remove this if you like. I just miss the state I grew up in. The 60s and 70s in Cali were awesome. Unfortunately those days a gone forever I fear.

Last edited:

Boat 405

For the amount of fuel that the marina's consume I bet they make decent coin on the fuel. My local ski area in colorado buys propane at 20,000 gallons at a time and pays about .26-.30 a gal. While in town if you want to buy it by the gallon it's about 3.49....

Squirrel

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Big R Ranch supply sells propane by the gallon, it’s $2.99/gallon in Evergreen. Most places charge X amount to fill a 20lb. tank, which only takes 4.7 gallons. Do the math. Sq