Fish finder recomendation

AzTacoma

Garmin, Hummingbird, and Lowrance are all good... fairly comparable, minor pros and cons. With a $200 price you are mostly sacrificing screen size, since you say you don't need fancy features. A new 5" from any brand should work well, although I would try hard to get a good map program with it (lakemaster, navionics, etc)

Thanks for the replies. I like that hummingbird that was posted earlier. I think as soon as my spare bravo 3 prop sells I'll get one and move my price range up.

What pitch are your spare props? I happen to be looking for a set.
They are 20 pitch, but they have been labed (I'm guessing cup was added) and run the same as the 22s I currently have, hence the reason I'm selling. They are in really good shape with no don't dings, etc. I was looking for $550 obo and they are posted for sale here if you want to see pictures.

I'd also sell my current 22p props for $350 They are more beatup but work just fine.

Lance Cue

They are 20 pitch, but they have been labed (I'm guessing cup was added) and run the same as the 22s I currently have, hence the reason I'm selling. They are in really good shape with no don't dings, etc. I was looking for $550 obo and they are posted for sale here if you want to see pictures.

I'd also sell my current 22p props for $350 They are more beatup but work just fine.
Those might be too low pitch. I'm thinking 24 is what I might need but I am going to be at powell this weekend and am going to check my w/o rpm, its been a minute since I checked so I don't remember where it is in the rpm window. That'll help me decide what might work.

LUVPILOT

Would it be possible to use the Hummingbird with lakemaster chip without the transducer, specifically for the water offset feature for navigating the houseboat and speedboat up the lake? I am looking into getting the helix 5 or 7 for my kayak, and wondering if I could just use the gps function of the fish finder when not in use on the kayak (where the transducer would be installed). I wondering if it would work without the transducer?
Thanks in advance,
Will

CHRIS MCBETH

There’s always that next best thing... but at the end of the day all you need is down-scanning, GPS maps, and ease of use.

They’re so complicated you have to use it a lot to learn and frankly I don’t have the patience.

I bought the Lowrance Hook2 5” and between the accurate GPS and Lake maps, and the nice down scan image I’m perfectly happy.

I switch between graphing fish and the map and that’s all I ever do with it other than marking where we catch a fish. It’s also nice to know water temp.

Dorado

Would it be possible to use the Hummingbird with lakemaster chip without the transducer, specifically for the water offset feature for navigating the houseboat and speedboat up the lake? I am looking into getting the helix 5 or 7 for my kayak, and wondering if I could just use the gps function of the fish finder when not in use on the kayak (where the transducer would be installed). I wondering if it would work without the transducer?
Thanks in advance,
Will
You can certainly use it as a GPS when it is not connected to the transducer. When in chart mode, it's not going to show that information anyway. But you would need a power source and mounting hardware. I would consider the Navionics app for your phone. It will show the lake, with offset and your location if you just want it for the GPS function. You can adjust the lake levels to highlight any shallow areas to avoid and just have it on your phone...

Last edited:

LUVPILOT

You can certainly use it as a GPS when it is not connected to the transducer. When in chart mode, it's not going to show that information anyway. But you would need a power source and mounting hardware. I would consider the Navionics app for your phone. It will show the lake, with offset and your location if you just want it for the GPS function. You can adjust the lake levels to highlight any shallow areas to avoid and just have it on your phone...
Thanks Dorado. Sounds like that is the easiest solution. Will that also work on an iPad or do I need something with cel service?

LUVPILOT

There’s always that next best thing... but at the end of the day all you need is down-scanning, GPS maps, and ease of use.

They’re so complicated you have to use it a lot to learn and frankly I don’t have the patience.

I bought the Lowrance Hook2 5” and between the accurate GPS and Lake maps, and the nice down scan image I’m perfectly happy.

I switch between graphing fish and the map and that’s all I ever do with it other than marking where we catch a fish. It’s also nice to know water temp.
Thanks for the recommendation. These things are foreign to me and ease of use is important.🤪

Fishguts

Does anyone know anything about the new Hook Reveals? Are they a step up from the older Hook models or about the same?

Dorado

Thanks Dorado. Sounds like that is the easiest solution. Will that also work on an iPad or do I need something with cel service?
You can use on an IPad. You have to download the area first as I remember, then it will work without cell service....others on here are much more knowledgeable about Navionics...