Fire - Antelope Point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious to know the cause of fire to learn for our own houseboating experiences, I saw something on facebook of an engine fire but that seems odd as you just don't see this happening much. Hopefully we learn more in coming days..

I'm curious to know the cause of fire to learn for our own houseboating experiences, I saw something on facebook of an engine fire but that seems odd as you just don't see this happening much. Hopefully we learn more in coming days..
Sadly, on these v-hull boats are worse than others for these kinds of fires for one simple reason.
They have the fuel tanks in the same compartment as the motors and the generator.
A split in a fuel line or a loose hose clamp is all it takes.

It happens more often than it should, but usually happens when the boat is sitting and they start the generator. Basically, if there are gas fumes in that hull, any ignition source will make a bad day. Same reason why all inboards must have a functioning blower motor for the engine compartment.

It's great that everyone was safe on this boat. That's awesome news.

so glad the peeps are safe.....but.....

Doesn't it seem there have been more fires than usual this season? or are they just more visible on un-social media? :unsure:

Seems Maintenance (boat and marina) & education could be lacking...

In 50 years of boating I only had one fire, when the redhead born on Halloween spontaneously combusted.....

(she had years of practice)

Thank God for Halon.....

:cool:

Sadly, on these v-hull boats are worse than others for these kinds of fires for one simple reason.
They have the fuel tanks in the same compartment as the motors and the generator.
A split in a fuel line or a loose hose clamp is all it takes.

It happens more often than it should, but usually happens when the boat is sitting and they start the generator. Basically, if there are gas fumes in that hull, any ignition source will make a bad day. Same reason why all inboards must have a functioning blower motor for the engine compartment.

It's great that everyone was safe on this boat. That's awesome news.
Thanks Dave for details, I manage our 1998 Sumerset which has outboards and with multiple owners using the boat want to keep up on our safety and learn from any other accidents which we might need to educate our owners on. Totally agree this is a miracle everyone is all safe especially knowing children were on the vessel.

Doesn't it seem there have been more fires than usual this season? or are they just more visible on un-social media? :unsure:

In 50 years of boating I only had one fire, when the redhead born on Halloween spontaneously combusted.....

Thank God for Halon.....

😂😂ref the red

This happened while underway?

Looks like boaters in the area rallied to unload everybody safely. Glad to see Powell boaters working together in time of need.

Can anybody confirm the location? The water looks too calm to be anywhere in the Maytag Straights.

Thank God for Halon.....

My red headed wife crashed her broom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back