Coolers - I need a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience at The Lake I have found that the Igloo Yukon is an amazing cooler.

1- Moulded handles not ropes with dowels, great to fasten or hold down (especially on my jet ski) and easy to carry
2- Large drain plug for fast draining and easy cleaning
3- Stainless Steel hinges
4- My 50 quart keeps two blocks of ice for 5-7 days in July depending on what else I keep in there and how many times I open it.
5- Reservable feet for skid and non-skid
6- The 50 qt that I have I have used for three years and over 100 days on The Lake. Absolutely love it.

There are many other sizes. Great cooler.
More money but great quality. I like it better than the Yeti.

I liked it so much I also have the 250 qt for my boat. Holds ice for 10 days.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/IGLOO-Yu...u2a1k02grDWoNmz6NomTBRoC2k7w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Those Frosty coolers look to be following the same path as RTIC, copying YETI. I wonder if a lawsuit is in their future as well?

If they are the same quality of Yeti, I think you would be happy with them. I love everything about our Yeti coolers, except the price. They certainly hold ice longer than any cooler we have ever used.

Yeti, we have a 105, 45 and 65. All perform exceptionally, you only think about the price up until you buy it, then its all smiles. Im sure anything in that molded style will be very affective though, lots of good options now.

We have a large Yeti and a large Cabelas(Yeti knockoff). The Cabelas one actually seems to hold ice better and is a lot less money.

I just bought an RTIC 45 quart for $122. They are injection molded and were sued successfully by Yeti so closing out their inventory at some crazy prices. They are heavy like the Yeti coolers. Heck of a deal for basically a Yeti knockoff if they have any left.

We've been using Yeti ice chests for years. Absolutely no complaints. We have 2 -105s, a 75, a 65 a 45 (stays on the boat) and a Roadie. We mix and match depending on the length of the trip. The 75 was a Sam's Club on-line special at a $100.00 off.

I love all you guys on this board, but when it comes to coolers we part ways. Yeti are extremely expensive and HEAVY and the walls are thick (reduced capacity). Get a Coleman Extreme instead. MUCH lighter. You can buy 10 or 15 of them for the price of a Yeti. Beat them up, stand on them, lose them off the back of your boat, tear the lids off (accidentally - easily fixed), throw fish and anchovies in them without worrying about ruining a $600 cooler. I have never seen a scientific comparison of how well they each cool but I conducted the following test when I first got one. I put 2 blocks of ice in one and and put it on the shore of Lake Powell next to our camp. This was at Stanton where there is no shade. I left it there for the entire 5 day trip, never opening the lid. On the 5th day I opened it and the blocks of ice were 80-90% intact.

Last edited:
I have a big Yeti. It's heavy. If you load it, it's hard to get in the back of a truck, or a boat! But, I LOVE it!
We also have an Rtic 20. It's great too! Sure, those coolers are heavy. But it's kind of nice being able to step on and stand on a heavy cooler knowing that it isn't going to cave in on you!
And, the hinges cannot be beat.

My Yeti cost a pretty penny. I actually used my inheritance from my grandfather. But I decided that I wanted to buy something that, just like him, would last a long, long time.

I have used Coleman extremes and igloo ultra cold for years at powell
Broke down and bought a yeti 65 last year, it does not keep ice any better than a Coleman extreme. It is tough and can stand on it in boat which is nice, but not $350 nice. Rtic and some other a better deal but a $40 Coleman still best buy imhoIMG952835.jpg

I have been using Canyon coolers, cheaper than the Yeti and just as good or better. I believe they are made in Flagstaff.

@bobco, I've never had a cooler hold ice as long as a Yeti does. And I don't think I am alone. I've read reviews on all of those types of coolers, and yours is one of the very few that I have ever seen that was negative.

And when people buy them, they hardly ever end up selling. If you search Denver's craigslist right now, there are 8 coolers listed under "YETI". If you just search cooler, you will get hundreds of hits.

They certainly aren't for everyone. And if I only did day trips I wouldn't buy one. But IMO, they are well worth the cost to me when I spend time at Powell where ice is $5/bag and hours (round trip) away.

I am not discounting your experience, but perhaps you got a bad one?

I'm afraid I have to agree with Bobco. Bang for the buck, I have a hard time beating the Coleman Extreme and Igloo Ultra Cold. I have a 65 Yeti that definitely is a tank and will keep ice/dry ice a long time, but in recent years I have found myself using the Extreme and the Ultra Cold mainly due to the weight of the Yeti when lifting to the swim platform on a trailered cruiser. Covered with wet towels, they're impressive in retaining ice.

The cooler that I see being preferred now by DownRiver Equipment, the big river runner outfitter in Denver, is the Engel series. I just picked up a smaller Engel from them that I plan to use as a cooler/drybox on the back of my SeaDoo.
If I were in the market for a big Rotomilled cooler, the RTIC definitely would be deserving of consideration.

And remember, going for ice is a good thing....it's an excuse to satisfy the daily ice cream fix.

@bobco, I've never had a cooler hold ice as long as a Yeti does. And I don't think I am alone. I've read reviews on all of those types of coolers, and yours is one of the very few that I have ever seen that was negative.

And when people buy them, they hardly ever end up selling. If you search Denver's craigslist right now, there are 8 coolers listed under "YETI". If you just search cooler, you will get hundreds of hits.

They certainly aren't for everyone. And if I only did day trips I wouldn't buy one. But IMO, they are well worth the cost to me when I spend time at Powell where ice is $5/bag and hours (round trip) away.

I am not discounting your experience, but perhaps you got a bad one?
I guess maybe I have some buyers remorse, but from 2 trips down to powell last fall I would say the extreme did just as good of job as the yeti. just my observation. Like Gem says the reduced capacity and heavy weights are negatives,.

Canyon Coolers out perform Yeti's. They are cheaper, and amazingly well built. The company is based here in Flagstaff, so it's awesome supporting local. I have a couple of them, and it will forever be debated about the COST of them......but to me, it is priceless, going to Powell for 5 days, and returning home with two FULL blocks of ice at the bottom of the cooler. You can't put a price, on peace of mind...

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1512-the-ultimate-high-end-cooler-shootout/

Man this is turning into a hot debate! Everyone is different and has different needs cooler wise.
To me the Yeti weight(aka strength and durability) is a positive because we walk, stand, and sit on ours constantly, it's an extension of our boat. It is the platform in the middle of our boat connecting the front and back.

The price? Yeah it's steep, no question about it, but guess what? I'll never have to buy another cooler the rest of my life, yes life! So in the long run you're actually saving money. There is a reason there are entire sections at sporting good stores dedicated to replacement parts for the igloo and Coleman's.

Ice retention for your average 2-3 day spring or fall trip might not be considerably noticible, but I wouldn't take anything else on a long boil trip up north when re stocking ice isn't an option.

I guess maybe I have some buyers remorse, but from 2 trips down to powell last fall I would say the extreme did just as good of job as the yeti. just my observation. Like Gem says the reduced capacity and heavy weights are negatives,.

Being I am such a nice guy, I will help you out with your buyers remorse. I'll take that cooler off your hands next time I see you. Half price sound fair. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back