Castle Rock Cut Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
The construction now occurring in the CRC is to remove some rock falls that have broken loose from the cliff walls. Brown Brothers Construction is working with one front loader and two trucks to remove the fallen rock and make the bottom flat without hazards when the lake comes up allowing boats to use the Cut again.

Currently the lake is rising at about 6 inches per day. At the current rate, the Cut would become passable somewhere near Memorial Day. If the daily amount of rising water increases, then the Cut will open before Memorial Day. That would be great!

Last edited:
The official minimum depth for passage is 3685 (5 feet deep). Anything shallower than that is "Use at your own risk".

(Now that Brown Brothers are clearing out the rock hazards, I will probably try it at 3683, but I do not officially recommend that to anyone).

So, Wayne, it sounds like because they are generally just cleaning up the cut, that the "official" elevations, per LP Water Databse, for navigating through the cut will not change. Is that a fair interpretation?
Personally, other than entertaining curiosity, I don't care. When I am joining my friends who still own boats later this summer, we'll be launching at AP. Geezers are curious.

So, Wayne, it sounds like because they are generally just cleaning up the cut, that the "official" elevations, per LP Water Databse, for navigating through the cut will not change. Is that a fair interpretation?
Personally, other than entertaining curiosity, I don't care. When I am joining my friends who still own boats later this summer, we'll be launching at AP. Geezers are curious.

I am curious as well and do not have any real insider knowledge on the Cut. I am just observing and passing along the details. When I have more info I will post it.

Why does the water data page say 3680 as the absolute minimum?
It should read 3580. That is the current level of Cut after the last deepening. That is where the water meets the rock and sand. That might change if the work now being done lowers the bottom of the Cut down to 3579 or more.

I flew low over Castle Rock Cut yesterday. The excavators have the entire length nice and smooth. Their equipment was still there, but the work looked to be close to done.

The water level is now visibly creeping into the Wahweap side of the cut making a small cove. It won't be long until it is open.

The boat traffic through Antelope Point Marina was significant on Saturday (coming from Wahweap direction). Sadly, far too many boaters do know now what wakeless speed means or just choose to ignore it, and I'm NOT referring to rental boats who may not know better! Several (more than one), when asked to slow down just gave us the bird or swore at those asking them to slow down. What's with these people?

The boat traffic through Antelope Point Marina was significant on Saturday (coming from Wahweap direction). Sadly, far too many boaters do know now what wakeless speed means or just choose to ignore it, and I'm NOT referring to rental boats who may not know better! Several (more than one), when asked to slow down just gave us the bird or swore at those asking them to slow down. What's with these people?

This sounds like the NPS has something productive to do. I hope they read WW's. Sq

We thought the Cut would flood during the night and did not want to go out there in the dark. So we rushed over at first light in the morning and found the little trickles coming mostly from the Warm Creek side and just watched those until they joined with water coming from the Wahweap side. The water joined at about 6:30 AM (AZ Time).

I am not sure how it will behave this time but I hope we can be out there to welcome the water to the Cut. I have a grand daughter graduating from High School on Wednesday in St George UT, and can come back to Page on Thursday. We will see how all this works out this time in 2019.

My excitement regarding the cut has turned to worry :( With the amount of snow, I've been so confident for months in the cut being open when I arrive the 31st... but I didn't anticipate such cool weather slowing down the inflow! Warm up!! (plus I want to be able to jump in the water and not totally go hyperthermic!)

My excitement regarding the cut has turned to worry :( With the amount of snow, I've been so confident for months in the cut being open when I arrive the 31st... but I didn't anticipate such cool weather slowing down the inflow! Warm up!! (plus I want to be able to jump in the water and not totally go hyperthermic!)
My bet is that you get through on the 31st. 6 inch rise today. Even with cool, wet weather on the watershed, I suspect the inflow will continue to increase. So, another 5 feet in 10 days seems likely, level will be above 3583 minimum safe level.

I agree with Trix. Its at 3579.28 as of May 19. So you need about 4 feet in 12 days to get to 3583. That's 4 inches a day. It's risen at least that much every day since April 30 (and sometimes more than 6 inches), with the exception of May 15 and 16, when it rose about 3.6 inches on those two days. I think you'll be okay.

I agree with Trix. Its at 3579.28 as of May 19. So you need about 4 feet in 12 days to get to 3583. That's 4 inches a day. It's risen at least that much every day since April 30 (and sometimes more than 6 inches), with the exception of May 15 and 16, when it rose about 3.6 inches on those two days. I think you'll be okay.
JFR! You are on every thread I see related to water, as a hobby Lake Powell hydrologist, I love looking at your posts. I strive to make the data I present on this site and others as clear and interesting as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back