Bringing kids down this weekend, and looking for LMB....advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastarget

Going to bring a couple of kids down to Bullfrog this weekend for sat and half of sunday. The 9 year old as you know is an avid fisherman and future fish biologist now wants to participate in tournaments, in Oct, got offered a couple or rides min you....…….

I am thinking of going north to get away from Bullfrog. Back in the south and east finding LMB in cattails, weeds, etc is the norm, where do I start looking for them in Powell, ends of canyons, other areas? I plan to take them looking for stripers and SMB, maybe troll for walleye, but have no idea where to try for LMB. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guys believe you can find good fishing around the gas docks near Bullfrog, and in the general Bullfrog area. They think that the fish released from tournaments stay in the area

nice thank you, that is a good place to try, I bet many of the boats will be doing the same thing during tournaments, makes sense however.

Prepare your son, So far this year we feel like LMB are mostly MIA. Not finding them in the same numbers as past years. In 5 days on the SJ, with 4 of us I don’t think we’ve caught 10 LMB between us.

That little guy is working on it, he watches videos, practices casting in the yard, reads books and talks to anyone that fishes. He spent 11 hours one day this may with a pro working on his skills around bullfrog and south of there. It is a strong fire in him. The lake is different now than it was in may, and even though I love the water and fishing, I never was in the tournament mode. I need to learn more about Powell and LMB so I can help him...…...The Bullfrog open if everything works out will be his first tourney.

There is usually good bass fishing close to the launch ramp, I've started many a tourney just yards from the ramp. I think the fuel dock is off limits, unfortunately. Halls fuel dock is off limits too, I think.

One of the members here posts TONS of fishing videos- Dungee Fishing. If he hasn’t seen this post reach out to him to see if he has any suggestions-as will other members as they see this post. I’m not a serious enough fisher to offer any solid leads. I just know we have pretty consistent success using tubes. I fish with a 3.5” tube and my 3 guys all use 2.5”. Mostly on 3/16 of 1/4 oz weights and in variations of pumpkin with pepper flake (some stones pepper & copper). We mostly fish the SJ so we’re not much help in the Bullfrog area. The Rincon, Or the channel from about Slick Rock to the Rincon is our go to area if we’re on the buoy and can’t do the SJ

To be honest there are far more qualified to target Largies. If I were to specifically target them Id do whats been suggested and fish the docks around bullfrog. Other than that the only other thing I would suggest is to use bigger, craw specific baits. It might just be a coincidence or just by memory but it does seem that on our trips the Largies are caught more on big craw baits than anything else. Like as where someone just using a shad grub for example wont catch as many. Id grab some senkos or double tail hulas and fish around the docks.

ok, so if i go north or south, backs of canyons, tumble weeds and structures that may satisfy his hunger to practice, if not we may run into some stripers and SMB. I am thinking going north maybe a little less busy?

Went shopping and got some tubes and tube hooks, will also take our ned rig parts, topwater, cranks and pepper jigs. Spoons for after boils and jigging.

Last edited:
Start fishin’ the fingers directly across Bullfrog bay from the covered houseboat slips. We have done well there earlier this year. Yes, conditions have changed since spring, but that’s where I would start. Sq

Ok thank you. We have many options to try all day sat and sunday, wave as you go by, weather looking good , cooling.

We'll be on the buoy at Halls Sunday afternoon/evening. Stop by and say hi. Buoy 552- 60’ Skipperliner (Make a Motion)

Last edited by a moderator:
All the docks are off limits during the open but there are some big fish that hang there if you just want to catch some fish

All the docks are off limits during the open but there are some big fish that hang there if you just want to catch some fish

yes, I have heard that, I think it would be prudent to check out different habitat and learn the lake, alternative sites in case they are occupied after the races begin.

I would like to try to fish mlf style my self I've wondered if it's hard to get officials. I don't know of any clubs that have tried that format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back