Braided line on spinning gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungee

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
I am completely baffled and frankly amazed at how many of you consistently/exclusively use braid on your spinning gear. Growing up I actually used Berkeley fireline quite often but in the last ten years have gone almost exclusively to mono. Over that time I’ve tried a handful of times to go with braid to a leader, yesterday up at Strawberry reservoir being one of them, and every time I come away wondering why I wasted my time. I love the sensitivity, the casting ability and the strength, but once again multiple times I got wind knots.

Now, knowing the knots aren’t related usually to wind at all I researched some methods for more prevention and came away even more baffled. Close the bail by hand ( I already do that), “finger” the line as it comes off the spool (whatever that means), and “ditch the rod twitch.” That one bugs me a lot, how am I suppose to give my tube jig action if I can’t twotch the tip of my rod!? Anyway, the bottom line and point being it just seems like a lot of extra work and worry for a bit of s trade off. I have braid on a top water baitcatser and a larger spinning reel for our boil rigs.

But I’ve just gotta stick with mono, so much easier to work with, and if I ever need a flouro leader I can still put one on. I guess my question, statement, rant, complaint is how do you guys live with it and thrive!? I know there are some who won’t use anything else and swear by it, how? What are your tips, secrets, suggestions for using it so affectively? There is always so much great knowledge and experience on this board. Thanks

Preston

BTW, strawberry was great!

2203175C-2C8A-4688-9923-C304C0328509.jpeg BEC54CDD-388D-4760-A055-6A5D637CEE84.jpeg A9521209-01EE-4B09-AB90-CC8936A0A813.jpeg

those are some chunks! I use power pro allot without problems on spin gear.

Yeah? That’s what I usually use too and yesterday. I actually just use the spider wire stealth braid on the boil rigs with no issues. I like power pro but I think I’m doing something really wrong. Too much twitching that tube I guess but what else am I suppose to do!? What pound braid do you use?

p line braided for me and I have no secrets because I don't have problems with it. I fish with guys who hate it. Just know a good knot for the leader. I use a uniknot. Works great for panguitch, otter creek and powell. How can you twitch to much? But I must say I think my presentation is more like a quick drag but I twitch as well.

Most of my poles are setup with braid, Power Pro 20 lb. in the green, and flouro leaders. I only use mono on my trollers. I've never had any issues with wind knots, I'm not sure how that would happen?
Wayne can probably chyme in as well, I know he uses a ton of braid.

Yeah? That’s what I usually use too and yesterday. I actually just use the spider wire stealth braid on the boil rigs with no issues. I like power pro but I think I’m doing something really wrong. Too much twitching that tube I guess but what else am I suppose to do!? What pound braid do you use?

Most of my poles are setup with braid, Power Pro 20 lb. in the green, and flouro leaders. I only use mono on my trollers. I've never had any issues with wind knots, I'm not sure how that would happen?.

I put on 15lb power pro yesterday. I’ve read that using a bit bigger diameter can help. Maybe I’ll go with 20 or 30? From what I can read the knots come from line unevenly spooling onto the bail while being reeled in, so when I’m twitching the tube like a jerk bait it’s causing inconsistencies. When you cast those back out somehow it can knot and tangle together.

p line braided for me and I have no secrets because I don't have problems with it. I fish with guys who hate it. Just know a good knot for the leader. I use a uniknot. Works great for panguitch, otter creek and powell. How can you twitch to much? But I must say I think my presentation is more like a quick drag but I twitch as well.

I have no issues with my leaders, I use a modified Albright, but the pattern that’s been working at the berry this fall is two quick twitches followed by a pause, probably the cause of my knots. I just can’t beleive suggesting not twitching your bait is legit advice not to get them. That would be like Nike saying don’t cut on a basketball court with their shoes.

Those are some really nice trout! I haven't used traditional monofilament for anything except backing since 1994. On my spinning reels I use a combination of Berkley Fireline Crystal (because I can see it clearly) and 8-lb.-test fluorocarbon. I don't like traditional monofilament because it's extremely stretchy and lacks sensitivity, it deteriorates rapidly in the heat and sun and in clear water fish can see it - even the lo-vis stuff. It's also not very abrasion resistant on rocks and/or mussels. I believe the Fireline/fluorocarbon combo gives me the best in terms of strength, durability and zero visibility to fish in clear water. On most of my bait casters I use fluorocarbon as my main line as it casts better on a bait caster than spinning gear. I have one bait caster that I use braid only as it is for topwater fishing and braid floats.

I simply find the new lines far superior to old style monofilament for where and the way I fish. If I felt monofilament was the best alternative it is what I'd use. :)

Ed Gerdemann

Those are some really nice trout! I haven't used traditional monofilament for anything except backing since 1994. On my spinning reels I use a combination of Berkley Fireline Crystal (because I can see it clearly) and 8-lb.-test fluorocarbon. I don't like traditional monofilament because it's extremely stretchy and lacks sensitivity, it deteriorates rapidly in the heat and sun and in clear water fish can see it - even the lo-vis stuff. It's also not very abrasion resistant on rocks and/or mussels. I believe the Fireline/fluorocarbon combo gives me the best in terms of strength, durability and zero visibility to fish in clear water. On most of my bait casters I use fluorocarbon as my main line as it casts better on a bait caster than spinning gear. I have one bait caster that I use braid only as it is for topwater fishing and braid floats.

I simply find the new lines far superior to old style monofilament for where and the way I fish. If I felt monofilament was the best alternative it is what I'd use. :)

Ed Gerdemann

What size fireline do you use Ed? As I mentioned I have used fireline quite often even as a teenager and don’t remember any wind knots. Also what leader knot do you use with it?

What size fireline do you use Ed? As I mentioned I have used fireline quite often even as a teenager and don’t remember any wind knots. Also what leader knot do you use with it?

I've been using 14-lb.-test Fireline Crystal. I had some wind knot problems with the original Fireline but have had no issues with Crystal. My splicing knot is a double-uni which I tie using a fly fisherman's nail knot tool. I simply tie two nail knots back to back and slide them together for my splice. That is essentially a double-uni knot. I've had no problems with it. :)

Ed Gerdemann

I have experienced wind knot problems and wondered if different brands of reels are more prone to wind knot problems than other brands of reels?

Just wondering what brand of reels are being used by those that are not having any wind knot problems?

Preston I use 30/8 lb stuff
. Catch everything from 30 lb lake trout walleyes. I do also use 8 lb trilene xt for throwing jigs , 8lb xt tough stuff can straighten out jig ussally

For Powell I use Basspro 8lb clear mono on my spinning rigs. I change the line every trip and sometimes during the trip depending on the fishing.
On the local Phoenix lakes I use Power pro with 8' Flouro leader due to the fishing pressure around here.
Nice fish!!

I have found two reasons for knots or loops in the reel/ line pick up. The first being reeling in with too much slack in the line. The solution I've found is to pull the line away from the reel gently after casting to keep it taught while reeling in until the slack is gone. Then your good to go. The second issue is too much twist in the line. Again the slack gives the line a chance to twist into a loop and gets reeled on to the spool. Cleaning the twist out of lines is often overlooked especially when the bite is on (excitement) or switching from vertical to casting and then trolling with the same outfits. Spooning, or dropping anchovies without a swivel can really illustrate this. It creates loots of line twist. Hope this is helpful

I have experienced wind knot problems and wondered if different brands of reels are more prone to wind knot problems than other brands of reels?

Just wondering what brand of reels are being used by those that are not having any wind knot problems?
I use a Daiwa Caldia A spin reel and it seems to really like the braided line. Don't even start to talk about my baitcaster cause you'll discover why I nicknamed myself birdsnest. Still don't have the baitcaster perfected and don't have the patience to frustrate myself so don't practice enough. I got tired of stripping old line off my stuff when I was using mono. Fluoro for my leader. Far superior set-up for me.

I use braid because it seemed that I always needed to replace mono due to line memory / age/ sitting in sun, .....-- with braid it is put it on and forget it -- with braid I do not need to remember the last time I changed line. Plus I have trouble remembering my name ----- I have found that most of the wind knot problems are related to line twist and over filling the reel -- to correct the line twist, I just let out a bunch of line with nothing attached to it as I am driving away on plane --- after a few minutes I reel back in, and all the twist is gone --

I have always been a mono guy until a friend of mine put some 30 lb JBraid on a couple of my spinning rigs last year, I'm sold.

Anything under 30 lb is difficult to work with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back