Blue Notch/Red Canyon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant2

Hi all, It's been a long time. I used to post on WW many years ago under the screen name Grant. Had to change to Grant2 to get logged back in. Life got busy and I sold the old Ranger. I'm making the first trip in 10 years back to Powell and will be shore camping/fishing in Blue Notch over Memorial day weekend. Any thoughts on lure type? I'm assuming with runoff the lake is probably murky down to Good Hope. Thanks everyone! I forgot how excited I get when thinking about the magic of Powell!

Hi all, It's been a long time. I used to post on WW many years ago under the screen name Grant. Had to change to Grant2 to get logged back in. Life got busy and I sold the old Ranger. I'm making the first trip in 10 years back to Powell and will be shore camping/fishing in Blue Notch over Memorial day weekend. Any thoughts on lure type? I'm assuming with runoff the lake is probably murky down to Good Hope. Thanks everyone! I forgot how excited I get when thinking about the magic of Powell!

The Ned Rig seems too be the hot bait lately.

Grant - The wife and I fished the back of red canyon last Friday. All of GHB is Muddy to Murky. The main channel has less than 1' of visibility from MM118 all the way up to MM124 - the mouth of red canyon which is as far as we went up lake. Popcorn/Fishtail canyon - and the Back of Red canyon had 18 to 24" of visibility. We did not catch much in Popcorn, but did pretty good in the back of Red canyon. We caught fish on Tube jigs - Berkley Gulp alive in the 3" pearl swim shad - Ned rigs - green and chartreuse - and Flicker shads in all colors. I had not fished the Ned rigs before this trip. They are very effective fished in a variety of ways. Caught about everything that swims in Powell on them. Seem to catch a lot of small fish on them. Are you the same Grant that used to live in Paonia?

Thank you! Makes me grin. I still have so much old Yamamoto plastic and was hoping grubs and senkos still worked. This is going to be fun. I'm bringing my wife who has never been to Powell and can't wait to get her hooked on Powell fishing.
Grubs don't work anymore, too old school:cool:

Grant - The wife and I fished the back of red canyon last Friday. All of GHB is Muddy to Murky. The main channel has less than 1' of visibility from MM118 all the way up to MM124 - the mouth of red canyon which is as far as we went up lake. Popcorn/Fishtail canyon - and the Back of Red canyon had 18 to 24" of visibility. We did not catch much in Popcorn, but did pretty good in the back of Red canyon. We caught fish on Tube jigs - Berkley Gulp alive in the 3" pearl swim shad - Ned rigs - green and chartreuse - and Flicker shads in all colors. I had not fished the Ned rigs before this trip. They are very effective fished in a variety of ways. Caught about everything that swims in Powell on them. Seem to catch a lot of small fish on them. Are you the same Grant that used to live in Paonia?
Hi Flipper! yes, I'm Grant, formerly of Paonia. Now in GJ where the paycheck is at. You still have the Lund? I sure miss my Ranger. When I got married, the boat was the first thing she got rid of. Now my challenge is to make it her think its her idea that we need a boat, LOL. Thanks for the tips. I'll be shore fishing Powell for the first time, never have fished it without a boat. I'm hoping there is lots of tumble weed and debris on the shoreline that I can drag some Senkos through. Interesting observation on the old Yamamoto plastics, the pink plastic over 10 years has turned to a blaze orange even in sealed bags. All the other colors seem to be as they were originally.

Hi Flipper! yes, I'm Grant, formerly of Paonia. Now in GJ where the paycheck is at. You still have the Lund? I sure miss my Ranger. When I got married, the boat was the first thing she got rid of. Now my challenge is to make it her think its her idea that we need a boat, LOL. Thanks for the tips. I'll be shore fishing Powell for the first time, never have fished it without a boat. I'm hoping there is lots of tumble weed and debris on the shoreline that I can drag some Senkos through. Interesting observation on the old Yamamoto plastics, the pink plastic over 10 years has turned to a blaze orange even in sealed bags. All the other colors seem to be as they were originally.
Not much work here in Paonia

Are you Roger from Paonia? How's Kathy? Was sorry to hear about Don passing. My father passed in February. The old timers are disappearing in Paonia. Out of curiosity, there are some old names from Waynes Words I haven't seen while checking the other forums. Used to see Papa Jack, Bob, Chet, Gary, Water Baby. Are they still with us?

I am he, Kathy is fine, too bad about Don and your Dad. I think most of those WW regulars are still around.

I have a new Lund now. Still have the old one also. Thinking about selling the old one, it's just setting out in the backyard. I'm guessing you graduated Nursing school?

I have a new Lund now. Still have the old one also. Thinking about selling the old one, it's just setting out in the backyard. I'm guessing you graduated Nursing school?
Good to hear from you again Mike. A new Lund! You know the old saying, the two best days in a persons life is the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it. I have to admit, the day I sold my boat was not a happy day. Are you still with the mine?

Yes, graduated nursing school. Working at a hospital in GJ now. Vacation time is hard to come by, so have not visited Powell in 10 years. Both my wife and I managed to get a four day weekend for Memorial, so I wanted to introduce her to Powell and get her excited to get a boat again.

Retired from the mine 12 years ago. Have been flipping houses and doing rental properties. Lots better than working at the mine, and lets me go to the lake pretty much when ever I want. We make 8 to 10 trips a year. I can't imagine going to Powell with out a boat. I've done it a couple of times, Like taking a shower with a rain coat on. The new Lund is nice. Got a 21' Tyee with a 250 HP Mercury Outboard. Lots more room to fish and store stuff. Handles the rough water much better than the old 18' one. I think we are going to sell the old one. Tried to get one of the kids to take it, but they all have there own.

Good to hear from you again Mike. A new Lund! You know the old saying, the two best days in a persons life is the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it. I have to admit, the day I sold my boat was not a happy day. Are you still with the mine?

Yes, graduated nursing school. Working at a hospital in GJ now. Vacation time is hard to come by, so have not visited Powell in 10 years. Both my wife and I managed to get a four day weekend for Memorial, so I wanted to introduce her to Powell and get her excited to get a boat again.
Is Curtis your brother?

Kathy and I grew up together, school, church, etc. Her dad and my dad were very good friends. I have to admit, I miss the little "Norman Rockwell" community of Paonia from the old days. The new liberal version of Paonia is not quite as charming.

Welcome back Grant2, could you do us a favor and give us a report on Blue Notch road? We don't camp there anymore but we have friends that might, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back