Big Sound Waves on the Lake - Loud stereos

botnb

Naw, Mike your opinion is as good as anyone's . I love music and have to have tunes going as much as possible. Everyone has different taste in music and versions of amplification, But I have eclectic taste in music and if you piss me off , you will definitely get the idea it's not a good thing to start music wars … I try and keep common sense with my enjoyment...

Pegasus

I can tell this thread was a bad idea. LOL

I was mostly wondering if people often hear loud music and it’s a big problem or people can hear music sometimes but it’s not a big deal.

I was surprised how many people were pretty upset about the surf waves so I wondered if the music was just as bad of a problem.

I get that everyone will say they would be mad if there was loud music late at night when they are trying to sleep. That’s not my question. My question was is it a big problem and are people hearing music loud thats a problem often on the lake?

In other words it’s like Lone rock beach. Some people say the noise isn’t too bad and they get used to it. Other says it’s so bad they wanted to leave. Obviously everyone would say they would rather there be no noise.

Just trying to get a sense of how big the problem is. I thought it could be a good discussion.

I read forums often and rarely comment, I am remembering why I don’t comment often. LOL

Mike
Mike, please don't stop posting! One of the great values of the forum is the differing opinions. Not everyone agrees with everything anyone says, but it's still good to hear all sides.

I especially liked the comment to your post that "everyone likes to enjoy Lake Powell - some do it differently than others - some like loud music on the water, some don't, etc. (paraphrasing) - we need to strive to make it work for everyone with differing styles." I think all of us need to remember that including me. (BTW damaging wakes are not a style, but dangerous and often illegal. Loud music is a style for the purpose of this post)

On a scale of 10 where big wake problems are an 8 to me, loud music is a 2. It's annoying when it happens, but it doesn't happen often, and it's not nearly the level of problem that big wakes are (my opinion here). And YES, you can hear loud music, at night, far away from the source. It is annoying when it happens - if it happens one night of a week trip, not a big deal; if it is a nightly occurrence the entire week, in my opinion, that is excessive and impacting others enjoyment of the lake too much.

-Doug

Last edited:

scubatim

While the subject of loud noise is here - we have been harassed by loud music, drones AND let's include fireworks!!! Can't count the many times. Once while parked at Ticaboo - there where 2 boats with stereos blasting, aerial fireworks and bonfires going till at least 2 a.m. completely across GHB!!! Wish the rockets and bombs could be policed better - since they are illegal!!:mad:

Lake Bum

Michael ~ I like your attitude about it, very open minded. We ALL should act like that, and the lake would be a much better place!
It really is OUR lake, not any single camps, and being courteous after hours is common sense.
I have a very elaborate stereo on my boat as well, and I definitely have been known to jam some tunes during daylight hours, but a personal rule of mine, is never after dinner. I bring a small Bluetooth speaker to use at the campfire. Sound travels a LONG ways across water. Even just standard conversation, voices can travel hundreds of yards across water.
Park Service official rules, are 10pm-6am.

Michael Pyle

I think we need to change the quiet time to midnight until 8 am.

6am is just too early to hear noises. Haha. And yes I get the irony of that statement. Hehe

We all just need to pick a time we all go to sleep and get up. You older guys will need some Red Bull to stay up until midnight. I promise after you do that a few times you will sleep until 8am. There is no reason to get up at 6am.

LakeBum I like the idea of small Bluetooth for later. I will do that for sure. I think we even have a few on the boat. I worked for JBL for years so we have plenty of that stuff.

Mike

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I think we need to change the quiet time to midnight until 8 am.

6am is just too early to hear noises. Haha. And yes I get the irony of that statement. Hehe

We all just need to pick a time we all go to sleep and get up. You older guys will need some Red Bull to stay up until midnight. I promise after you do that a few times you will sleep until 8am. There is no reason to get up at 6am.

LakeBum I like the idea of small Bluetooth for later. I will do that for sure. I think we even have a few on the boat. I worked for JBL for years so we have plenty of that stuff.

Mike
There is no reason to get up at 6 AM is a correct statement. I get up at 4 AM to get uplake by 5 AM to see the sunrise and catch slurping and boiling stripers. We all have a plan.:)

Mildog

Good questions to ask and to be wiling listen to others and do something positive. I agree with the before mentioned " sound travels much further than you would think" especially over water, with the wind and in canyons. Common courtesy suggests 10PM is a great rule for quiet and we always abide by that on the docks or on the Lake. Sadly many others do not and we have been kept awake by music/noise on a few occasions. We always try to pick spots that no-one would try to set up too close. I am amazed with 2600 miles of shoreline how some people will come in and set up far too close to others. We have had this happen a few times, when there were other GOOD spots avail that they passed to get to the spot next to ours??? Some of them were not good neighbors either!!
I truly think some people are just afraid to be alone and away from other people ! I just don't get some people. Isn't one of the big reasons we get away is to get away??
Courtesy and common sense will never hurt and everyone can still enjoy the lake !!

PowellBride

There is no reason to get up at 6 AM is a correct statement. I get up at 4 AM to get uplake by 5 AM to see the sunrise and catch slurping and boiling stripers. We all have a plan.:)
I'm with Wayne. At Powell, it is light and I can boat, fish, ski, paddle board and kayak at 6AM. After 10 PM its dark, dangerous to boat due to "whales", therefore limited Powell activities. When you can't be on the water, it's the best time to sleep :p

Mildog

I agree with Wayne and Dave W. We love to get up early (why would you get up at 6AM) get going earlier when it is hot at Powell watch the sunrise catch lots of fish when it is still pretty cool.
And you do catch and SEE a lot before 8AM Like Dave W said
At a local Lake for four of us 16 kokes done by 8 AM just last week
The "Partiers" wake boarders, skiers were not even awake when we left the lake LOL

bw56

Lots of interesting comments about wakes and music. The think I find much more concerning is the lack of awareness of boaters following way to close to tubers or wakeboarders. Seems to happen to us every trip.

Meatwagon

My alarm goes off at the crack of 7:30. Then I take an hour to drink coffee. If I wasn't so sleepy/lazy I'd throw some driftwood at y'all for waking me up.
Haha,I thew some drift wood at em once but with my weenie arms I had to hope for the wind to carry it the next mile and a half to where the never ending partiers were and pray that it would find its way to there prop to end the day long pounding of the waves and piercing of the ears with the profanity. unfortunately as it often does the wind shifted and that piece of drift wood attacked my prop instead. Now with nothing else to do while waiting for the tow boat I'm left blasting the blues from my own stereo remembering to live and let live.

TR.

I would laugh.

Actually reminds me of a funny story.

We pulled into a larger cove where one large houseboat was already there. As we were dealing with anchors the other boat blasted a song that references the size of male genitalia, I think it’s called My D... I had actually never heard it before as we don’t let the kids play explicit music. My kids have never worked so fast to get the anchors dug in. As soon as they were done they turned our system on max volume with the same song, apparently they had heard it before and one of them had access to that song. Needless to say ours was bigger. LOL.

This kids were up pretty late that night and were loud. I guess they figured the other boat gave them permission to be obnoxious.

Best part was the other HB was leaving early the next morning and had two loud performance boats. They pointed their exhaust at us and revved the engines for what seemed like 20 minutes. I guess they needed to get them warm since it was so early and cold Haha. It woke everyone in our boat up and I literally laughed out loud, said good game.

But they started it. LOL

You guys have some good points and we will for sure work on being good neighbors and preserve the peaceful lake we all love.

Mike
Lol I prefer the I 95 song.

TR

Kevin G

My uncle had a great conversation with a loud music group. After anchoring their houseboat so close to my uncle's houseboat that their ropes touched, they casually mentioned that they had a really loud stereo and planned to have a big party into the night. My uncle responded, "No problem, I have a really loud generator and I like to get up first thing in the morning and fire it up!" They were gone the next day.