Big Sound Waves on the Lake - Loud stereos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Pyle

So the big wave conversation got me thinking about loud stereos and the Sound kind of wave.

We have a stupid loud system on our houseboat, Its like a concert LOL. I know some nights things get a little out of hand and the party goes a little late and maybe little too loud. Its hard to know how far the sound travels and if people are irritated. I need to turn it up and go out on the jet ski and see what its like.

Do people often hear loud music and get pissed about it?

Just like the surf wave thing if someone came over and asked me to keep it down I would feel so bad and make sure we kept it low.

My kids really love that part about the lake, we can have a loud party and not get in trouble, but maybe we are too loud and disturbing the peaceful lake powell nights?

Thoughts?

Mike

Last edited:
I am not a loud music fan -- my kids are --- on a calm night music travels across the water a LONG way -- if you can see another boat, the music is almost as loud for them as it is for you.
I have a 10pm rule on my boat -- outside music is off -- inside still fine-- I do this as not to offend other boats.

When we were there a coupe of weeks ago, there was a houseboat with loud music almost all night long.
It didn't bother me, but we had a Couple sleeping outside on top, and the party kept them awake most of the night.

At night especially calm nights a phenomenon called Fata Morgana can and often will form, it is usually experienced in the calm early morning by the appearance of cliffs on the far edge of the lake and the edge of the lake appearing much closer than it actually is. The mirage works with sound waves as well as light and radio waves and will carry all a very long way with startling clarity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fata_Morgana_(mirage)

We have spent nights on the houseboat in the Bullfrog buoy field and heard generators and stereos going all night from boats beached all the way up the bay.

10pm lights out / gen off is greatly appreciated by those of us who don't sleep in.

There is usually a 10PM curfew on loud noise at any camp ground almost anywhere. No generators or loud music or noise after that time. Quiet hours run 10PM to udually 6 or 7AM most anywhere in the country for campers. We are not loud music folks but we do make sure or TV is lowered at 10 PM and that I haven't mistakenly turned on the outside speakers.

My 2am comment was a joke. I see I got someone angry. Haha

I should have said I am a smart a$$ and not to take me too seriously.

My question was serious and it’s good to hear the feedback.

I understand the 10pm rule and that’s for sure our hard rule at the docks. But sometimes out on the lake we do go a little late so was wondering if people often are hearing loud music late at night. I am sure at some point we have been heard by others and they were not impressed.

Mike

Oh and for the record we have partners on our boat so it’s not just me playing our system loud.

That being said if anyone was offended by our boat it would not bother me if they reached out even if I was not on it. I would do my best to keep
It under control.

Next trip I am for sure going to go out and see how the sound travels. I am betting I will be surprised.

Mike

I'll bet you could go clear across Warm Creek Bay on a still night and easily hear a loud boat especially if it is parked next to a high cliff. Sound reflects off the rocks and travels a long way across the lake that way. A real windy night not so much. But again, everyone needs to be able to enjoy their Lake Powell trip but we should all try to be courteous.

I really don't understand. BTW, and I ask this in all sincerity, because I really don't understand, what is the attraction to loud music? I just never understood why one wanted to listen to music to the point of not being able to converse. I guess I just was never a party animal even decades ago in college.

I also abide by the 10 p.m. quiet time rule for music and loud outdoor partying. This is definitely a good rule of thumb for everyone even if it isn't actually a park rule.

Reminder - in the summer, 10 p.m. in Arizona is 11 p.m. in Utah, and there are many Arizonians (?) that probably just stay on AZ time no matter where they are on the lake.

Just don't get pissed at me when I float by your houseboat at 5am fishing and we wake you up after one of my kids catches a big fish. 10 pm is a good quiet time on the lake.

I would laugh.

Actually reminds me of a funny story.

We pulled into a larger cove where one large houseboat was already there. As we were dealing with anchors the other boat blasted a song that references the size of male genitalia, I think it’s called My D... I had actually never heard it before as we don’t let the kids play explicit music. My kids have never worked so fast to get the anchors dug in. As soon as they were done they turned our system on max volume with the same song, apparently they had heard it before and one of them had access to that song. Needless to say ours was bigger. LOL.

This kids were up pretty late that night and were loud. I guess they figured the other boat gave them permission to be obnoxious.

Best part was the other HB was leaving early the next morning and had two loud performance boats. They pointed their exhaust at us and revved the engines for what seemed like 20 minutes. I guess they needed to get them warm since it was so early and cold Haha. It woke everyone in our boat up and I literally laughed out loud, said good game.

But they started it. LOL

You guys have some good points and we will for sure work on being good neighbors and preserve the peaceful lake we all love.

Mike

Last edited:
"if its late at night and my neighbors are trying to sleep...does my really loud music bother you?" That one is a toughie to figure out! Better listen to some more rap at 2 AM and ponder it!

I can tell this thread was a bad idea. LOL

I was mostly wondering if people often hear loud music and it’s a big problem or people can hear music sometimes but it’s not a big deal.

I was surprised how many people were pretty upset about the surf waves so I wondered if the music was just as bad of a problem.

I get that everyone will say they would be mad if there was loud music late at night when they are trying to sleep. That’s not my question. My question was is it a big problem and are people hearing music loud thats a problem often on the lake?

In other words it’s like Lone rock beach. Some people say the noise isn’t too bad and they get used to it. Other says it’s so bad they wanted to leave. Obviously everyone would say they would rather there be no noise.

Just trying to get a sense of how big the problem is. I thought it could be a good discussion.

I read forums often and rarely comment, I am remembering why I don’t comment often. LOL

Mike

on our old boat that had no a/c and you were "forced to sleep on the top deck load music was a problem most summer nights weather in the slips or buoy field, or out in a open bay.
I quickly learned to park the houseboat in areas that would only hold 1 boat, and was far away from where other people could park -- mostly because of noise. -- I have a very guarded set of sites at many water levels--
I have found this is one way that keeps me relaxed and calm --
In my way of thinking, I do not want to ask someone to turn down their music, or stop making large wakes -- my thought is that common courtesy should do the talking. -- Unfortunately, we are seeing less and less common courtesy around the lake and elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back