Big Horn Sheep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Wayne, we all get to look through your eyes, but can’t be on the lake as much as you. Sq

I saw an otter dam near that size in Iceberg, we didn't catch a thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I've never seen one at Powell, I have friends that run lions with dogs just a few miles east of the area. So I'd say yes. They can be pretty sneaky!

So, are there mountain lions also?
Quick story. Back in 2003 a bobcat snuck onto a rental houseboat at the back of Last Chance and repeatedly attacked a woman. She and her husband were the only ones onboard the houseboat, the cat walked along the side of the boat on the catwalk(no pun intended) and entered the boat through the back door. The husband had no weapon so grabbed the shovel for digging sand anchors and stared beating the animal. The bobcat would not stop attacking her but finally the husband killed it with the shovel. She was life flighted out to Page hospital and then sent to Phoenix. Lake Powell is a wild and unpredictable place, yes there are mountain lions there but you are more likely to get injured from a hook in the hand. The bobcat was not rabid.

One animal missing from this page is the Ring Tailed Cat. We had a family of 4 cats invade our houseboat a couple years ago. They are supernaturally good climbers and were all over the boat, including on top of the laundry lines. They only come out in the dark. It is really an amazing animal, but I had never seen or heard of them until we had a bunch of them on the boat and I was unaware of behaviors or characteristics that may cause problems for us and lost a lot of sleep trying to keep them off the boat.

One animal missing from this page is the Ring Tailed Cat. We had a family of 4 cats invade our houseboat a couple years ago. They are supernaturally good climbers and were all over the boat, including on top of the laundry lines. They only come out in the dark. It is really an amazing animal, but I had never seen or heard of them until we had a bunch of them on the boat and I was unaware of behaviors or characteristics that may cause problems for us and lost a lot of sleep trying to keep them off the boat.
They've raided our mouse traps and I watched one on the beach with spot light, wild!

Friends have had them come snuggle them while sleeping on their boat. Couple years ago a houseboat brought one back with them into the Bullfrog slips. It went through my boat one night and left a nice pile on the captions seat. Must have hitched a ride back out on another houseboat as it disappeared within a couple weeks

I believe we saw the sam Ram on Friday the 27th along the main channel just past mountain sheep canyon. Same circumstance, all by himself turned watched us then slowly walked away.

In June, we had the houseboat in Rock Creek for a week and had the same herd come down within 100 yards of the houseboat on three separate days. We went years without seeing any and now it is rare occasion that we don't see at least one somewhere on the south end of the lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back