Best boat for Powell

Lake Bum

Nice boat Travis! I haven’t seen a pic of that one?
Thanks! I'll be chasing boils all weekend. Lots of great suggestions on the best boat on here. I've gone through LOTS of boats over the years, and have decided there is no such thing as the BEST. Only the "best right now". As my kids have grown, my boats have changed.
This one sleeps 4 of us, pulls wakeboarders, tubers, and I catch a ton of fish as well. The only thing that goes on the beach at camp, is 4 chairs, 1 table, and a grill to cook. Almost fully contained in a small package. My "perfect boat" is this one......for now.

Jim Sargent

Thanks! I'll be chasing boils all weekend. Lots of great suggestions on the best boat on here. I've gone through LOTS of boats over the years, and have decided there is no such thing as the BEST. Only the "best right now". As my kids have grown, my boats have changed.
This one sleeps 4 of us, pulls wakeboarders, tubers, and I catch a ton of fish as well. The only thing that goes on the beach at camp, is 4 chairs, 1 table, and a grill to cook. Almost fully contained in a small package. My "perfect boat" is this one......for now.

Ziggy

You know your Ranger you have is a great boat! I wouldn’t go to an aluminum after being in a glass Ranger, no way. Check out the Reata or FS series. I had a 2016 1850 Reata with a 150 G2 and 9.9 hp kicker. Handled Powell very well. Family grew since then and we upgraded to 2020 Ranger 621FS Pro with a 400 HP Verado and 15 hp Pro Kicker. You’re talking about a dream boat....this was my dream boat!!! It is absolutely the best fishing rig I’ve ever fished out of. 50 mph plus through 1-2’ chop! I haven’t had it to Powell yet but at 6,000’ in CO I’ve hit 61mph. Both boats had full walkthrough windshield which is great to cut the breeze and bimini to put up when it gets nasty hot. Check out Vexus DVX as well there just wasn’t a dealer close by yet when we were shopping.
That picture looks like the 400 HP Mercury is set on the transom off of center? How would that affect steering that beast, curious?

Meatwagon

I think Travis hit the nail on the head, you need to ask yourself what is important and what can you do without, I found early in my boating years that the fish & ski best fit my needs and I upgraded as the years went on. That might not be what fills your needs though. When I finally decided on the boat I wanted the salesman said it was the easiest order he had filled, cause I the spent the time deciding on what I wanted for the last boat I will ever own. It was a major investment for me and now that it's paid for I hope to spend as much time as possible enjoying it. I would say spend some time on the boat manufacturer websites and see what is available and important to you and go from there. I spent alot of time looking at boat trader as well, mainly to get an idea of cost, location of dealers and the inventory they have, both new and used. I considered many used boats before deciding on MY BOAT and I couldn't be happier with my final decision. Hope your choice is just as rewarding to you. 20160610_175058.jpg20200618_110811.jpg20160611_175832.jpgI have 18 poles in the rod locker, 4 tackle boxes and and alot of other gear stowed under the front deck alone, not to mention the ski locker 😳 and other storage in the rear of the boat 😳. In the end what works for you will be the ultimate Powell boat.

treetop

On the kicker motor. I put on a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke because we do a lot of trolling and my 25 year old mercury 150 smokes a lot if you idle it very long.
The kicker has been great. When trolling I use it to push the boat and then I put the minnkota in the water. I don’t run the electric motor but use the remote to steer the boat. Like a front mounted rudder if you will.
I can even use the auto pilot feature to keep it headed where I want so I don’t have to watch it every second.
and at Powell the kicker has got me back to the marina three times when the 150 quit me.
wouldnt ever want to be up lake without the kicker.
when I first got the Honda I had it plumbed in to draw fuel straight out of the big tank. But I’ve since hooked it back up to run from the Honda 3 gallon tanks. [i always take two} that way the kicker is a completely stand alone system.
I love it.

Meatwagon

I just purchased a swim platform bracket for a kicker motor. Looking at the 9.9hp 4 stroke fuel injection. I spend Alot of time trolling for crappie on the local lakes and hope to spend as many hours saving shad on Powell once I retire. Not to mention the security and confidence it will bring to venture into the wild 😜 wilderness of the San Juan.

Jim Sargent

I would be interested to see how that looks. The kicker is the only thing keeping me from jumping into a bass platform. Even the Brunswick salesman who reps both Crestliner and Lund said on chat yesterday at the virtual boat show that it would be difficult to mount a kicker that worked well for regular trolling.

MrDeeds970

That picture looks like the 400 HP Mercury is set on the transom off of center? How would that affect steering that beast, curious?
Yes it’s just the angle of that picture. It’s perfectly centered and has power steering. It is a beast especially when that supercharger kicks in around 6k rpm’s!

Meatwagon

Screenshot_2019-05-17-11-01-19.pngI haven't mounted it yet,it's still a 100+degrees here in Phoenix but it fits on the back step on the port side of the boat. I am hoping to link to the etec for steering and the main fuel tank . If you like and can set it and post it and post a picture this weekend. Screenshot_2019-05-17-11-01-19.png

Jim Sargent

Meatwagon, I live in Payson. We got 45 minutes of rain today. I plan to be on Roosevelt at first light in the morning but perhaps I could run down and meet you and see your kicker setup one day next week if it is okay with you.

Mrs. BigDogGuy

So sorry for your loss!

We are not fishermen, so I cannot speak specifically to fishing priority boats, but earlier you mentioned the deep V hull comments. I can tell you, we camp Powell in the off season, often we see no one. In November, many years ago, we were out on our 21' deck boat, an open bow Chaparral that did not have a windshield all the way across, nor any way to close off the boat from the open bow. It also had a much flatter hull. We got caught in a storm, it was scary. The lessons learned that day mean it did not take too long before we replaced our previous CA lake boat with a Powell style boat, it's longer and it's got a deep V hull. I am very pleased with the deep V hull as a safety feature. It only took me one storm to decide we needed to always be prepared because Powell gets big water and I know that we cannot expect any help to be around in the low season. Powell is the only place we use our boat and now we have the right boat for Powell & for us.

Meatwagon

Meatwagon, I live in Payson. We got 45 minutes of rain today. I plan to be on Roosevelt at first light in the morning but perhaps I could run down and meet you and see your kicker setup one day next week if it is okay with you.
I Started a conversation, you should find it by clicking on the envelope next to your avatar at the top of the page