Best boat for Powell

Jim Sargent

Lund 2075 Pro V Bass, Hands down.
Team 27, thank you for your response. I have crawled all over a Pro B Bass and loved everything about it. The owner lives in Page and couldn't say enough good things about this boat. What do you do for service? The nearest dealer is in Big Water, Utah, 235 miles from my home? And I am assuming you agree that putting a kicker on for back up is indeed a waste of resources.

Jim Sargent

Team 27, thank you for your response. I have crawled all over a Pro B Bass and loved everything about it. The owner lives in Page and couldn't say enough good things about this boat. What do you do for service? The nearest dealer is in Big Water, Utah, 235 miles from my home? And I am assuming you agree that putting a kicker on for back up is indeed a waste of resources.
Sorry, typo. Pro V Bass.

Bill Sampson

Hello everyone, I propose to tell a story and then ask for your advice.

I retired in 2014. Not rich, but comfortable. In 2017 my darling wife of 37 years was diagnosed with bladder cancer. As wives will do, she asked me what would I do if she doesn't survive. Would I stay in Payson, AZ. Would I re;marry? My response was that I would spend the spring and fall fishing Lake Powell and the winter fishing Lakes Havasu and Mojave.

After three years of surgeries and chemotherapy and learning to deal with urostomy pouches and love and pain and agony I lost my darling Betty on April 25, 2020. Now I am not a total newbie as I first fell in love with Lake Powell in 1975 when stationed at Dugway Proving Ground Utah. For years I owned a 21 foot fiber glass whose seats laid down into a bed and made for great camping. I have probably been on Lake Powell 35-40 times fishing and houseboating. But now I am faced with a dilemma. My current fishing boat is a Ranger RT178. Although I have used it on Powell all of you know that when Powell gets nasty the Ranger is not adequate. So I am looking at replacing the Ranger with something more suitable for Lake Powell. I first went to the Ranger because I fish mostly for bass and like to lay out several rods with different baits at one time. My former boat wouldn't accommodate several rods at one time. I will launch in Page and fish as far north as Escalante and San Juan.

So far I have looked at the Lund Pro V Bass, the Crestliner Bass Hawk, and I am also intrigued by the new Vexus AVX models. I originally intended to add a 9.9 kicker motor for a back up when I am forty miles up lake and have a breakdown. However as you all know I really can't hang a kicker motor on a bass boat platform. I have consulted two local pros who live in Page. Both advised that if I don't intend to routinely troll for stripers or walleye then it is a waste of resources to add a kicker for just in case. I would be better advised to maintain adequate radio and satellite phone backup in case of a break down.

So I guess my question is what would you advise? I highly respect all your joint experience on Lake Powell. If you were retired and purchasing your last dream boat for Powell where would you put your resources? Should I rethink the bass boat platform and consider something like the Crestliner Fish Hawk that would allow a kicker and still cover me for emergency camping if the lake turns nasty? Or should I follow the advice of the local pros {both of whom are sponsored by different boat companies} and buy the bass boat platform that I am used to?

I thank you in advance for your help on this issue. I know that we all have one thing in common. We all love this lake and every opportunity to be on it.

Jim Sargent
Sorry for your loss.

Skip

I have a 21' Ranger Riata fish and ski design. I have had numerous aluminum fishing boats but this is by far the best boat I have ever owned. No getting wet with 6" chop, handles like a dream and gets me there and back with 200hp OptiMax, more motor than I need but sure comes in handy.

26Biesemeyer

I like twins! because one is none and two is one. If I could go buy a boat tomorrow I would try to find one.

I also like the kicker idea as the idea of putting along at 5 knots is attractive at times... and good for trolling.

I have a regal 25' with bravo3 unfortunately....its gonna have to do.

I imagine any newer outboard is going to be fine for dependability though... I suffer from what-ifs too much

twins!

MrDeeds970

You know your Ranger you have is a great boat! I wouldn’t go to an aluminum after being in a glass Ranger, no way. Check out the Reata or FS series. I had a 2016 1850 Reata with a 150 G2 and 9.9 hp kicker. Handled Powell very well. Family grew since then and we upgraded to 2020 Ranger 621FS Pro with a 400 HP Verado and 15 hp Pro Kicker. You’re talking about a dream boat....this was my dream boat!!! It is absolutely the best fishing rig I’ve ever fished out of. 50 mph plus through 1-2’ chop! I haven’t had it to Powell yet but at 6,000’ in CO I’ve hit 61mph. Both boats had full walkthrough windshield which is great to cut the breeze and bimini to put up when it gets nasty hot. Check out Vexus DVX as well there just wasn’t a dealer close by yet when we were shopping.

Attachments

Jim Sargent

You know your Ranger you have is a great boat! I wouldn’t go to an aluminum after being in a glass Ranger, no way. Check out the Reata or FS series. I had a 2016 1850 Reata with a 150 G2 and 9.9 hp kicker. Handled Powell very well. Family grew since then and we upgraded to 2020 Ranger 621FS Pro with a 400 HP Verado and 15 hp Pro Kicker. You’re talking about a dream boat....this was my dream boat!!! It is absolutely the best fishing rig I’ve ever fished out of. 50 mph plus through 1-2’ chop! I haven’t had it to Powell yet but at 6,000’ in CO I’ve hit 61mph. Both boats had full walkthrough windshield which is great to cut the breeze and bimini to put up when it gets nasty hot. Check out Vexus DVX as well there just wasn’t a dealer close by yet when we were shopping.
Mr. Deeds, thank you for your response. Actually, the Ranger RT178 is a 17ft. 8in. aluminum. It is indeed a great boat but not adequate for Lake Powell in rough weather. That's why I am looking at a deep V or even the Ranger Reata. So I am not leaving a glass for an aluminum, rather changing to a deeper hull or even a glass boat. I will also look at the FS.

MrDeeds970

Mr. Deeds, thank you for your response. Actually, the Ranger RT178 is a 17ft. 8in. aluminum. It is indeed a great boat but not adequate for Lake Powell in rough weather. That's why I am looking at a deep V or even the Ranger Reata. So I am not leaving a glass for an aluminum, rather changing to a deeper hull or even a glass boat. I will also look at the FS.
Oh I’m sorry Jim I thought I read somewhere in the post that you had a glass Ranger. That must have been another members response. You’ll like the dry ride of either the Reata or FS boats

POk3s

Hi jim. Like everybody else I’m so terribly sorry for your loss and the heartache you’ve had to endure. I simply can’t imagine.

While I can’t be of any further help on the style or size of the boat, I can’t help but chime in on the kicker quandary. I have a 16.5 foot smokercraft powered by a monstrous 50hp motor. When it starts to get choppy I have to head in. Regardless of that, I feel so damn comfortable knowing I have 3 motors if anything goes south. Sure if my “big” motor dies in rough sees I’m not getting anywhere near home with the kicker but at least I feel comfortable making it to shore. I do feel that having engine troubles while also having rough sees is rare. Your more likely to have a motor failure but still have manageable seas. In that instance it sure is a great piece of mind to have that 10hp kicker on the back and knowing I WILL make it back to the marina just fine. I also use mine quite frequently while trolling for other species. It’s something you may learn to enjoy as well if you have the troller. Anyway...just my 2 cents!

Jim Sargent

Hi jim. Like everybody else I’m so terribly sorry for your loss and the heartache you’ve had to endure. I simply can’t imagine.

While I can’t be of any further help on the style or size of the boat, I can’t help but chime in on the kicker quandary. I have a 16.5 foot smokercraft powered by a monstrous 50hp motor. When it starts to get choppy I have to head in. Regardless of that, I feel so damn comfortable knowing I have 3 motors if anything goes south. Sure if my “big” motor dies in rough sees I’m not getting anywhere near home with the kicker but at least I feel comfortable making it to shore. I do feel that having engine troubles while also having rough sees is rare. Your more likely to have a motor failure but still have manageable seas. In that instance it sure is a great piece of mind to have that 10hp kicker on the back and knowing I WILL make it back to the marina just fine. I also use mine quite frequently while trolling for other species. It’s something you may learn to enjoy as well if you have the troller. Anyway...just my 2 cents!
POK3s,
Thank you for your kind words. I agree with you about the kicker. I am leaning towards a multispecies boat that allows the kicker. I think I will deal with my perverse habit of having multiple rigs on deck at once by mounting some vertical rod holders. I think I have seen this setup on pictures of Wayne's boat. The other advantage, when I take my eleven year old grandson to the high lakes on the Mogollon Rim with horsepower restrictions I would have a backup if the trolling motor batteries give out. I first went to the bass platform because I was tired of having rods stick over the side of the boat because of the walk through windshield. I actually lost a very high end custom outfit over the side because I caught some brush when it was sticking out the side of the boat. Somewhere on the bottom of Saguaro Lake is a $750 rod and reel. Something I would never buy for myself but it was nice. My fishing buddy to this day reminds me of that fiasco on a regular basis.😀

Jim Sargent

POK3s,
Thank you for your kind words. I agree with you about the kicker. I am leaning towards a multispecies boat that allows the kicker. I think I will deal with my perverse habit of having multiple rigs on deck at once by mounting some vertical rod holders. I think I have seen this setup on pictures of Wayne's boat. The other advantage, when I take my eleven year old grandson to the high lakes on the Mogollon Rim with horsepower restrictions I would have a backup if the trolling motor batteries give out. I first went to the bass platform because I was tired of having rods stick over the side of the boat because of the walk through windshield. I actually lost a very high end custom outfit over the side because I caught some brush when it was sticking out the side of the boat. Somewhere on the bottom of Saguaro Lake is a $750 rod and reel. Something I would never buy for myself but it was nice. My fishing buddy to this day reminds me of that fiasco on a regular basis.😀
The expensive outfit was a retirement present.

POk3s

haha! yea I've just recently started buying rods above the "ugly stik" level! I would probably cry if my newly purchased st croix went for a swim! While we're on the subject of rod storage, my stepdad has a 2019 lund with I believe room for 7 rods underneath the bow in the rod locker. That mixed with some vertical rod holders should make you more comfortable!

Havalina

Wheres Grady, Boston Whaler and Robalo?
I have a 21 ft Montauk and I love it. The only downside about the center console boat is any more than two is a crowd. I recently bought a Thunder jet, because the wife and kid have been wanting to go. The Montauk does not offer much protection from the elements. I still have the montauk as it is paid for and I just don’t want to let it go.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I really like the vertical rod holders on my work boat. I put a 2x8 board on the bottom of the metal upright dashboard. Then screwed on 2 inch PVC pipe to hold the rods in place.

IMG_0884.JPG

On my private Glastron boat I removed one of the rear seats. I then put an 8 rod holder that slipped into the same hole the seat came out of. I really like rods standing up and not taking up extra room, and making it really easy to pick up a rod when a boil appears.
rdhold.jpg

Jim Sargent

I really like the vertical rod holders on my work boat. I put a 2x8 board on the bottom of the metal upright dashboard. Then screwed on 2 inch PVC pipe to hold the rods in place.

View attachment 9236

On my private Glastron boat I removed one of the rear seats. I then put an 8 rod holder that slipped into the same hole the seat came out of. I really like rods standing up and not taking up extra room, and making it really easy to pick up a rod when a boil appears.
View attachment 9234
Thanks, Wayne. That's exactly what I was thinking.