Battery Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfulton

I had my boat in for new impeller, fluids change, etc. Took it back to storage, got in a hurry to make an appointment and did not check the ignition and master power switches. Two days later when I did check them they were on so my engine crank and systems operations battery had ZERO power. The maintenance guys had left those switches on thus drained the battery. My question is, should I have the battery replaced or brought back to life? If I charge it back up will it be trustworthy(it's about 3 years old) in the future...good batteries are so important at Powell.
Chuck

Depends how good it was to begin with and if it was only dead for two days I would charge it up and see if it holds a charge, it might still be as good as it was and it might drain off. If money is not an issue, buy new and don’t worry about it but I would think being dead that short of a time they are “probably” still good. If it drains off get a new one for sure. That’s my two cents worth!

Last edited:
Anyone who has had a boat for a while has probably had a similar thing happen (although we might not be able to blame it on someone else) and I agree with Dworwood-charge it up and see if holds the charge. I have a variety of batteries in my toys and I have some that last 3 years and some 5 years. I use trickle chargers on most of them when they are not in use and try to make it a habit to check the battery charge condition before I leave the driveway just so I have peace of mind about what will happen when I get to the water. If any of my batteries aren't holding charge, I buy a new one.

I have a Minn KOta 3bank 30 amp for the boat but I bought two minn Kota 2 bank chargers for charging and maintaining all my other batteries early this last fall( I have 17 in equipment, trucks,etc.) They are worth every penny for charging and maintaining batteries correctly. You can tell battery health by charge time and maintaince mode. Fulton, charge them up on a computerized charger so you can monitor charge/health. (Also, only add distilled water to low cells after FULLY charged)

Thanks for all the input. I'll talk to the dealer and go from there...leaning toward new! Merry Christmas all!! Chuck

Use the Deltran Battery Tender. It's not just a trickle charger it is a "maintainer" that puts the battery thru a de-sulfate cycle too.

My factory boat battery lasted 11 years. Indicator lights tell you the condition of your battery and will let you know when it's time to replace, no more guessing or replacing years too soon.

I promise they will save you LOTS of money over the years in replaced batteries. Replacing a 3 year old battery is completely out of the question.

1 good AGM battery = $250 ish
1 Battery Tender = $50 ish.

You do the math.

Use the Deltran Battery Tender. It's not just a trickle charger it is a "maintainer" that puts the battery thru a de-sulfate cycle too.

My factory boat battery lasted 11 years. Indicator lights tell you the condition of your battery and will let you know when it's time to replace, no more guessing or replacing years too soon.

I promise they will save you LOTS of money over the years in replaced batteries. Replacing a 3 year old battery is completely out of the question.

1 good AGM battery = $250 ish
1 Battery Tender = $50 ish.

You do the math.
Gem Morris do you leave it connected most of the time? I have been considering this because I have so many batteries on my boat but where I currently store it I do not have power. Have been debating whether or not to run a service to my shed.

For battery tenders check out “genius noco” on Amazon.

For your dead batteries remove the load (cables) and connect jumper cables from 1 isolated dead battery to good battery. Let it stabilize for 1-2 hours then attach battery charger on good battery - charger will charge both batteries over next day or two.

Three year old battery has zero value, shop owes nothing. It was a mistake, after battery is back to life adjust water if not sealed.

Gem Morris do you leave it connected most of the time? I have been considering this because I have so many batteries on my boat but where I currently store it I do not have power. Have been debating whether or not to run a service to my shed.
I have mine plugged in constantly (which you shouldn’t do with a “charger”, but is recommended for a “maintainer”)

Glad you got it fixed. My batteries are eating old enough that I am keeping an eye on them but I don’t want to replace prematurely. I carry a lithium ion jump starter now just in case. Very light and powerful, and a litttle pricey till you need it lol. Chuck I don’t want to hijack but it seems like you got your issue fixed so...did the shop talk at all about lithium ion boat batteries when you went in?

TR

Really interested in the lithiums. They actually might seem worth the 1k price tags.
They have certainly got my attention, but I can’t afford two of them at this time (lol and not likely in the future, hoping they come down). If I replaced two front trolling motor batteries I could save 75 lbs off the bow.

TR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back