Bass tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at bullfrog and there is one going on here now. Got on the water at 2:20 and got skunked today. Could not find fish, did see quite a few bass boats though.
Check the back 1/4 mile of Bullfrog Bay on the left side. Found stripers in 5-7' of water back there 2 weeks ago. Only got a dozen or so but that was trolling instead of casting like I should have.

We went to GH today, picked up a nice LM a couple of real fat SM and one striper. Turned the LM back D396EB7D-5032-43D0-952C-BAB64EAC13FE.jpegC5290618-7508-4E60-8171-2689F29EC491.jpegand had fish for super with the others! Neither us or grey hackle found stripers today, it still was an awesome trip with family and it didn’t snow on us. Caught the fish on swim bait, Ned rig and lucky craft pointers. We threw everything with five of us and nothing was consistent.

We went to GH today, picked up a nice LM a couple of real fat SM and one striper. Turned the LM back View attachment 7089View attachment 7090and had fish for super with the others! Neither us or grey hackle found stripers today, it still was an awesome trip with family and it didn’t snow on us. Caught the fish on swim bait, Ned rig and lucky craft pointers. We threw everything with five of us and nothing was consistent.
Looks like a happy bunch with some nice fish. Thanks for returning the LM to the water

That's a pretty largemouth even if it is an ugly green bass! :LOL:

Ed Gerdemann
It was the only ugly one we caught, I sure did enjoy catching those SM though. They are fatter than I have ever seen. I wish I could get in your head and figure out how to catch them like you do! I sure enjoy seeing the results of your fishing trips. Thank you for sharing.

It takes some work but there are still fish to be caught----
unfortunately, it sounds like the fish might be the only thing there for a while.
Good news is they will still be there when we are allowed back.

DaveW

Attachments

• pepfish.jpg
    pepfish.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 75
It takes some work but there are still fish to be caught----
unfortunately, it sounds like the fish might be the only thing there for a while.
Good news is they will still be there when we are allowed back.

DaveW
Dave are we not allowed there now? Did anything close? I am headed there on Thursday for 4 days! thanks!

Brandon -- I do not know -- there is another thread that informed all service is closed. -- That is what I was referring to -- be sure you check that things are open before you go --- appears very fluid at this point

It was the only ugly one we caught, I sure did enjoy catching those SM though. They are fatter than I have ever seen. I wish I could get in your head and figure out how to catch them like you do! I sure enjoy seeing the results of your fishing trips. Thank you for sharing.

I've found the biggest key to catching smallmouths is to fish slowly. Even though smallies are considered more aggressive than largemouth, they still don't like to work any harder for a meal than they have to. I've seen times where they were boiling on shad and you'd think a quickly moving surface lure or lipless crank bait would work the best, but a weightless Senko cast out and allowed to settle down in the middle of the action produced far more strikes. The late Cap'n Chuck Duggins, a longtime smallmouth guide in Maine before he moved out here, put me on to that. When I started slowing things down like he suggested my catch rates started climbing.

Also, don't be afraid to throw out in deeper water even when there are a lot of fish up on the shelves. Fishing with your back to the bank is hard for a lot of people to get used to, but it consistently works for bass in deep, clear water lakes. I love fishing the ends of long gravel points and out off offshore reefs and islands. Offshore reefs and islands were great places for my family and I to catch smallmouth in Canadian Shield lakes when I was a kid, and they are excellent spots to fish on Powell.

I fish mostly with a drop shot rig (Yamamoto Shad Shaped Worm) supplementing it with a weightless wacky rigged Senko when the fish seem to be looking up. I've had good luck in the past with Texas and shaky-head rigged finesse worms, curly tail grubs, Hula Grubs, tubes, Ikas, etc., but these two presentations have worked best for me most consistently on Lake Powell. I plan on trying something new this spring and will let everyone in on it if it works like I think it may.

The biggest to key to catching for smallmouths, however, is to fish for them a lot. The more you fish for them the more you'll catch. I know I'd be a better striper fishermen if I fished for them all the time, but that's hard for me to do with all the smallmouth, my favorite fish to catch since I was a young kid, swimming in Powell. :)

Ed Gerdemann

I've found the biggest key to catching smallmouths is to fish slowly. Even though smallies are considered more aggressive than largemouth, they still don't like to work any harder for a meal than they have to. I've seen times where they were boiling on shad and you'd think a quickly moving surface lure or lipless crank bait would work the best, but a weightless Senko cast out and allowed to settle down in the middle of the action produced far more strikes. The late Cap'n Chuck Duggins, a longtime smallmouth guide in Maine before he moved out here, put me on to that. When I started slowing things down like he suggested my catch rates started climbing.

Also, don't be afraid to throw out in deeper water even when there are a lot of fish up on the shelves. Fishing with your back to the bank is hard for a lot of people to get used to, but it consistently works for bass in deep, clear water lakes. I love fishing the ends of long gravel points and out off offshore reefs and islands. Offshore reefs and islands were great places for my family and I to catch smallmouth in Canadian Shield lakes when I was a kid, and they are excellent spots to fish on Powell.

I fish mostly with a drop shot rig (Yamamoto Shad Shaped Worm) supplementing it with a weightless wacky rigged Senko when the fish seem to be looking up. I've had good luck in the past with Texas and shaky-head rigged finesse worms, curly tail grubs, Hula Grubs, tubes, Ikas, etc., but these two presentations have worked best for me most consistently on Lake Powell. I plan on trying something new this spring and will let everyone in on it if it works like I think it may.

The biggest to key to catching for smallmouths, however, is to fish for them a lot. The more you fish for them the more you'll catch. I know I'd be a better striper fishermen if I fished for them all the time, but that's hard for me to do with all the smallmouth, my favorite fish to catch since I was a young kid, swimming in Powell. :)

Ed Gerdemann
Thank you! I will put that advice to good use. I am a scatter brain and try catching everything for a mixed bag but I love to catch all the different bass in Powell, especially SM. Maybe someday I will run into you on the south end, if you ever need a partner give me a shout. I will bring the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back