Anyone still catching fish on anchovies on the North end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dworwood

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Taking my wife down for the weekend and would fish with bait if we can find a school. I will get to go after green fish some but I would like her to catch some stripers, it has been a long time since she has fished Powell. Thanks in advance. Hope to see some of you this weekend.
Dave

Just back from Bullfrog yesterday,
No columns were spotted to drop bait on and the wind kept us from seeing most of the slurp/mini-boils. We did some trolling with a chunk of anchovy on the end of the lure and picked up enough stripers / smallmouth / walleye for a meal one night but catching was very slow. We blamed some of it on the fact that the full moon and clear skies were such that full throttle boating was no problem all night long.

During the relatively calm periods we were able to spot some rising stripers but by the time we got turned on them and in position they were generally down and most often did not come back up. I did get one nice stripe out of a boil on a small kast-master but that was the only top water fish all week.

There are some monster catfish in bullfrog bay and I even picked up two nice smallmouth on a chunk of anchovy on the bottom while cat-fishing at camp.

Pretty dismal fish report but a good time was had by all!

Bruce

Just back from Bullfrog yesterday,
No columns were spotted to drop bait on and the wind kept us from seeing most of the slurp/mini-boils. We did some trolling with a chunk of anchovy on the end of the lure and picked up enough stripers / smallmouth / walleye for a meal one night but catching was very slow. We blamed some of it on the fact that the full moon and clear skies were such that full throttle boating was no problem all night long.

During the relatively calm periods we were able to spot some rising stripers but by the time we got turned on them and in position they were generally down and most often did not come back up. I did get one nice stripe out of a boil on a small kast-master but that was the only top water fish all week.

There are some monster catfish in bullfrog bay and I even picked up two nice smallmouth on a chunk of anchovy on the bottom while cat-fishing at camp.

Pretty dismal fish report but a good time was had by all!

Bruce
Thank You

Just got back and yes we caught steady fish on chovies just north of Tapestry Wall on the main channel. Pretty thin fish though so we started trolling and caught healthier stripers in the middle of the channel same spot. Stanton is loaded with shad and stripers. Same story- thin fish on chovies and good fish trolling. No boils but from the amount of shad balls marked its set to blow up anytime.

We unloaded and headed north on Friday, with the wind and waves we stopped in Moki to get out of the rough water to see if it would pass, it did not so we did not make GH. We headed down stream on Saturday and stopped to fish some slurps at bouy 86, I could not connect before they would disappear. We continued on and went to the cathedral and took some cool pictures, checked out reflection canyon and then headed up the San Juan, just before the first turn we spotted a boil, fish jumping and lots of splashing. Every time I could get a lure in the action I caught a fish, and they were in great shape and full of fight, nice fillets. That lasted about 30 minutes and then cooled off. We continued up river to Paiute where the wind picked up again. We found three burros along the shore but did not see the stranded ones. We started back down checking for a place to spend the night and as we rounded the 180 corner my wife spotted three otters swimming along the shore line. We stopped and they would run on shore playing around and then back in the water. Mom kept a close eye on us and them while we were taking pictures. We finally made camp at the mouth of SJ and called it a day. I wish someone would have told me to take a blanket at the end of July, it was darn cool at 3 this morning! The milky way was spectacular at that time too. I regret not taking some pictures, it was a beautiful night on Lake Powell under the stars. This morning we headed North and at bouy 59 we spotted more boils, several at a time over a couple hundred yards and again if I could get a lure there I caught a fish, healthy and fighters, more good fillets for the cooler! We chased them for about an hour and then they quit and we headed North again. It was great to participate in that action again after missing it for the past 17 years. I got so excited I donated a nice rod and reel to the lake! First time in my 50 years of fishing but if Wayne donates I guess I can too. Don,t think this one will ever show up, it is in over 200 feet of water. What a great weekend with my beautiful wife in a beautiful setting. I will try to post some pictures, I am on a different computer. Oh by the way the lure that worked best for me was a cast master, I tried a couple of other lures but that did the best, I think it caught every time I put it in the action.

Attachments

• DSC_0385.JPG
    DSC_0385.JPG
    623.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_0416.JPG
    DSC_0416.JPG
    437.6 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_0414.JPG
    DSC_0414.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 200
I guess I should post a picture of fish with the other critters we saw! I really did catch a few, barzArz showed me how to post fish pictures!
And I am camera shy. Here are the last two I caught, one not as fat as the other one but none were razor backs like we caught in may.

Attachments

• Lake Powell fish.jpg
    Lake Powell fish.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 139
I guess I should post a picture of fish with the other critters we saw! I really did catch a few, barzArz showed me how to post fish pictures!
And I am camera shy. Here are the last two I caught, one not as fat as the other one but none were razor backs like we caught in may.

Glad you guys did well and had fun Dworwood! We love the critters pictures. We have seen Otters the last two trips, but have not been quick enough to get a picture! Your fish pictures are better than ours, lol!
We are looking at maybe Labor Day weekend, if we can pull it off, hoping we can go in at Hite.
Hope we get a chance to meet this year!

It was a great trip, I fly by the seat of my pants most of the time. If I can swing it I may make Labor Day but I am not sure I want to be there with the crowds! Not sure about my diesel unloading at Hite either. Not worried about the boat but those heavy trucks don’t like mud at all, they like to sink in it. I need to get my grand kids down there for some striper fishing while I still can. I will make two to four more trips so keep me posted when you are going and hopefully we will be there at the same time. Take care. Dave

Dave,
If you go over Labor Day the hot fishing North is below the boils or slurps. Drop a 3/4 of 1 oz kastmaster or similar spoon below the graphed fish do 3 aggressive full for length lifts and drops then speed reel to the top. If you are catching steady the school will stay right with you. The hooked fish regurgitate shad on the way up and a frenzy starts. You can also throw some anchovy chum to keep them under you. More poles are better so take the grandkids the large hooks make removal easy. The mega schools usually start before good hope bay on the corners and go well past it. If you lose a school just move to the next one. I have Wayne some buoy numbers in an old post a few years ago just before good hope bay when he was filming a tv show and that school has existed every year. I'll try to find the old post but it's not far up from Knowles and cedar on a hard corner.
We will be there on channel 68.
Troy

Edit fixed auto correct back to kastmaster

Fishing sucks. Shad everywhere. Lots of 3/4 inch shadlings. Anchovies not working. Caught 1 catfish and 1 striper. Used a downrigger to get the striper. And they are scattered from 35 to 60 feet. Little to no surface activity. Appears they are slurping shad babies and have no need to gang up for boils. Water temp at 81 degrees. Weather is hot and windy
Tough Fishing! Tried for smallies with no luck. Some hits on Ned rig but no fish caught.

Got Into boils yesterday at the same locations we did three weeks ago 59 and just below SJ. Again cast masters worked good. They were not up real long but they came up for over an hour. SM has been good in 20 feet of water. Had to come to the marina to get a friends boat repaired. Will report for the rest of the trip when we get back Friday. Good fishing to all. Dave

We went to the “beautiful” south end last Thursday and jumped on a house boat for a week long trip. Had a mix of family and friends. We stayed by Gregory’s butte in a secluded little cove that had a ton of small shad in it. We caught 10 nice cat fish off the back of the boat and I think it cleaned out the cove, never caught another one after that second day. We headed north with two boats and went up the crocodile infested San Juan, saw several burros but no otters this time. The other boat in our party started have out drive vibrations about 10 miles from the mouth and by the main channel it blew up on them. I spent the next two days getting them back to Wahweap to the boat shop. Their boat is still there so I guess we will make a trip back down south in the next few weeks. As I reported from the repair shop that day we had boils from a couple miles below the SJ to marker 60. While we were waiting for them to come up they actually boiled right under the boat, I should have netted a couple cause I couldn’t cast to them! We didn’t catch a fish out of that rise either. We got a dozen stripers but I had a boat full of people so I didn’t stay long. Some of our guests had never been on the lake so with our tour boat down I became the tour/fishing boat. Did not get to fish much and lost two days to a dead boat. We caught SM in 15 to 22 feet of water on a shelf on the west side of Gregory butte every time we made a pass. Some of my guests don’t cast so we trolled and caught around 25 SM and a walleye the two evenings we fished there. If I could have fished it I think we could have caught a bunch of SM. Everyone I talked to was struggling with fishing period. The boils we did work did not stay up long and not every lure thrown in a boil caught a fish but 3 out of 4 did. We spotted a couple of boils while traveling but even those were just above the SJ and we only got two fish out of those. We were trolling an old crawdad lure from years ago to catch the SM that my older brother wanted to try, I thought he was nuts but that is what caught the most SM. Because of the group I was with I didn’t try spooning for long, I did try it when the boils dropped but that technique is new to me and I am not confident in it yet, until I figure it out I would rather be alone or with my fishing buddies to learn how. Kastmasters still the ticket in the boils. Did see what I think were slurps in Padre bay while driving the HB back today but not positive about those. Also saw the trash tracker while returning from the boat shop, I wanted to stop and talk to them but we had been gone all day with 8 people stuck on the house boat so I didn’t pull by them and say hi. They do such good work. As for you Powell Bride my heart is on the same end of the lake as yours! We did catch SM, walleye, stripers and cat fish so it wasn’t a bust. Lots of people on the south end!
Dave

We went to the “beautiful” south end last Thursday and jumped on a house boat for a week long trip. Had a mix of family and friends. We stayed by Gregory’s butte in a secluded little cove that had a ton of small shad in it. We caught 10 nice cat fish off the back of the boat and I think it cleaned out the cove, never caught another one after that second day. We headed north with two boats and went up the crocodile infested San Juan, saw several burros but no otters this time. The other boat in our party started have out drive vibrations about 10 miles from the mouth and by the main channel it blew up on them. I spent the next two days getting them back to Wahweap to the boat shop. Their boat is still there so I guess we will make a trip back down south in the next few weeks. As I reported from the repair shop that day we had boils from a couple miles below the SJ to marker 60. While we were waiting for them to come up they actually boiled right under the boat, I should have netted a couple cause I couldn’t cast to them! We didn’t catch a fish out of that rise either. We got a dozen stripers but I had a boat full of people so I didn’t stay long. Some of our guests had never been on the lake so with our tour boat down I became the tour/fishing boat. Did not get to fish much and lost two days to a dead boat. We caught SM in 15 to 22 feet of water on a shelf on the west side of Gregory butte every time we made a pass. Some of my guests don’t cast so we trolled and caught around 25 SM and a walleye the two evenings we fished there. If I could have fished it I think we could have caught a bunch of SM. Everyone I talked to was struggling with fishing period. The boils we did work did not stay up long and not every lure thrown in a boil caught a fish but 3 out of 4 did. We spotted a couple of boils while traveling but even those were just above the SJ and we only got two fish out of those. We were trolling an old crawdad lure from years ago to catch the SM that my older brother wanted to try, I thought he was nuts but that is what caught the most SM. Because of the group I was with I didn’t try spooning for long, I did try it when the boils dropped but that technique is new to me and I am not confident in it yet, until I figure it out I would rather be alone or with my fishing buddies to learn how. Kastmasters still the ticket in the boils. Did see what I think were slurps in Padre bay while driving the HB back today but not positive about those. Also saw the trash tracker while returning from the boat shop, I wanted to stop and talk to them but we had been gone all day with 8 people stuck on the house boat so I didn’t pull by them and say hi. They do such good work. As for you Powell Bride my heart is on the same end of the lake as yours! We did catch SM, walleye, stripers and cat fish so it wasn’t a bust. Lots of people on the south end!
Dave

Dworwood,
Thanks for the report! and sorry for the challenges, but sounds like everyone came out OK!
Generally, fishing reports have been somewhat poor lately, we were not sure what we where going to do...
but, looks like we will try and make a quick run up to the North end and give it a go Saturday and Sunday. We'll post a report after the short trip.
Looks like it's going to be very HOT, hope the fishing follows suit!:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back