All systems are a go

POk3s

Escalante-Class Member
We have been back and forth with this trip for months. We even firmly cancelled this trip due to an unmissable doctors appointment to which we need to fly to, only for the doctors office to call and reschedule us (and for me to lose my mind). It’s a long story.

Regardless, we have had the dates circled on the calendar for more than half a year and as the dates drew close, with it came more uncertainty. I like to be fully prepared and that is just impossible to do in early spring. Between trying to juggle weather at the lake and traveling weather from southwest Wyoming, I haven’t felt confident until today.

It appears as though southwest Wyoming and most of Utah is going to be getting hit with some weather starting tomorrow. I am leaving work early and hoping to get through most of it by nightfall. Even thinking about going through Colorado instead of Utah because of the incoming weather. It’ll be a game time decision and will likely change as we travel. I’m hopeful the surface temps of the road will stay warm enough for safe travel and just a filthy boat.

SO….with all that… all things are a go! We usually tent camp but are bringing our 8 month old and so we’re going to be staying at the Defiance House hotel in bullfrog.

Your guys’s reports the last couple months have helped TREMENDOUSLY to fuel the fire. I’m going to go re read them and hope I didn’t miss anything!!

Friday and Saturday seem like good weather days to travel a bit. Some afternoon wind so we’re going to hit it hard early both days and plan to be off the water by mid afternoon.

Good Hope bay Friday or Saturday and rincon area whichever other day we don’t head north. We’ll hang around bullfrog/halls creek bay Sunday and Monday morning. When you only get one trip a year, you have to make the most of it!

If anyone else plans to be around this weekend give me a shout. Either send me a message on here or be on the lookout for a black/red/grey skeeter!

Will report back soon!

Cheers!!!BB0E7D9D-D8EB-412A-A9B7-FA9E0D8648FB.jpeg

I can't imagine only one trip a year to Powell. I'm usually thinking about going back on my way home😁. And my wife won't put up with me staying home that much😂

Looks like your breaking Grady in right😊. Hope you have good weather and good fishing.

Last edited:
I can't imagine only one trip a year to Powell. I'm usually thinking about going back on my way home😁. And my wife won't put up with me staying home that much😂

Looks like your breaking Grady in right😊. Hope you have good weather and good fishing.
Haha! Well at fiiiirst when we were trying to decide on dates I told my wife that I might need to go and scout at it a weekend or two before so I was prepared with the most recent info when she could come. At first she just looked at me and said “You’re not going to Lake Powell without me.” But after dates continued to get shifted around I mentioned it again and must’ve caught her in a good mood!

But this was the earliest trip we could make and I’m glad her, Grady, and my dad are able to come! Of course as soon as I must’ve posted this yesterday the wind forecast increased substantially Saturday but we’ll be smart and make the best of it!

You are definitely going to encounter wind. You do not have to go far to find fish. Read reports on Hall's from past 2 months as we have done very well. Read last years reports as well as we were all pounding main channel shelfs around Lake Canyon and finding great success.

Ive went and re read lots of reports so I’m armed with ad much info as I can be.

I think I’ve changed our plan to traveling a little bit on Friday and then staying pretty close the remainder of the trip. Somewhat sucks but what sucks worse is not going to Powell…

Life’s good! We caught a quick 25 from 10:00-1:00 on the island across from Moqui. It juts up to about 2 foot of water but the fish are stacked off the side. I stopped there just to check on our way up lake and we never left. Made for an awesome, easy day! 2 gallon bags of filets acquired so far! I think we’re going to hit it again in the morning but the trip has been made! We may just travel around tomorrow morning or try and find some walleye or something else, but life is good!!
IMG_6242.jpegA7EA9F62-85ED-439F-AAF8-6E094A255015.jpeg467AA641-B909-4697-8CD1-9A2F0C60DF8C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back