3 year old dies after falling in Lake Powell with no life jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbaby

Escalante-Class Member
https://fox13now.com/2018/10/03/3-year-old-dies-after-falling-in-lake-powell-with-no-life-jacket/
3 year old dies after falling in Lake Powell with no life jacket

BULLFROG, Utah — Glen Canyon National Recreation Area officials received word last Friday, Sept. 28, that three-year-old boy had died and was being transported to the Halls Crossing Launch Ramp.

According to reports, the Jayden Cooper Vokas was sleeping on the upper deck of a houseboat on Lake Powell in Willow Creek Canyon and fell off into five feet of water. He was not wearing a life jacket and the incident wasn’t reported until Friday afternoon.

National Park Service Rangers from Halls Crossing and Bullfrog met the party bringing Jayden to Halls Crossing Launch Ramp. They were assited by the Kane County and San Juan County Sheriff’s Offices.

The Kane County and San Juan County Sheriff’s Office, along with the National Park Service, are investigating the incident.

3-year-old drowns in Lake Powell, officials say
By Carter Williams, KSL.com | Posted - Oct 3rd, 2018 @ 2:02pm

1538612977-1667496783-150x84.jpg
autoplay_icon.png

6PM: 3-year-old drowns in Lake Powell, officials say
KSL TV

BULLFROG, Kane County — A 3-year-old child died after he fell off the upper deck of a houseboat in Lake Powell and landed in a 5-foot section of water last week, authorities said Wednesday.

Jayden Cooper Vokas, of Park City, was pronounced dead at the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, according to the National Park Service and Kane County sheriff’s officials. Authorities were alerted about 3:30 p.m. Friday that a 3-year-old boy had died and was being transported to Halls Crossing Launch Ramp.

Officials said seven adults and one other child were on a houseboat located at Willow Creek Canyon, which is about 34 miles south of the Halls Crossing Marina. They said the child was sleeping on the upper deck of the houseboat and fell overboard at some point Thursday night or Friday morning, authorities said.
https://www.ksl.com/article/46400501/3-year-old-drowns-in-lake-powell-officials-say

The boy was not wearing a life jacket when he fell into the water.

The incident remains under investigation. National Park Service officials said the Kane County Sheriff’s Office is handling the investigation, with assistance from the park service and San Juan County Sheriff’s Office.

The incident also happened less than a week after a Colorado man fell overboard into Lake Powell about 15 miles south of Bullfrog on Sept. 22. Officials said Daniel Patrick McGuckin, 41, of Avon, Colorado, was presumed drowned afterward. His body has not yet been recovered.

These are so hard to hear about. This is why, as you and I have both discussed, that we won't bring young kids to the lake.

These are so hard to hear about. This is why, as you and I have both discussed, that we won't bring young kids to the lake.

I know. It cost us very good friends [our maid of honor and best man at our wedding], but every time I read one of these tragedies I am more convinced than ever we made the right decision by standing by the rule this very couple had once agreed to. I couldn't live with myself if this had happened on one of our trips.

Just have them wear a lifejacket all the time. That's what we've done. Our kids would rather wear it 24-7 than not be at the lake. If they are inside the houseboat they don't need it. If they step outside, even on to the roof, they need it. Simple and easy.

Just have them wear a lifejacket all the time. That's what we've done. Our kids would rather wear it 24-7 than not be at the lake. If they are inside the houseboat they don't need it. If they step outside, even on to the roof, they need it. Simple and easy.

Our rules are the same. Life jackets on as soon as we leave land and they don't come off until we are back on land. If on the houseboat, the only time they can be off is when they are inside, with the doors closed. All it takes is one second for the unbelievable to happen.

I believe that safety and responsibility can be taught and ingrained. My girls have received many of accolades from the Auxiliary Coast Guard by wearing their life jackets while even walking down the dock to the house boat. Which only helps to solidify the parents rule of wearing the life jacket. I try to share the same positive reinforcement with others when I see good safety choices being made. The difficult conversation is with the ones not wearing life vests when they very well should be.

If you don't teach them while they are young, how will they have any respect and know how when they become an adult? Boating and Lake Powell can be a family activity, all it takes is SAFETY. A good safety choice, would be to not allow a 3 year old to sleep on the roof of a houseboat.

Simple as clicking a seat belt in a car.

Zach, you are certainly right. Every year, though, someone falls through the cracks, for many different reasons. Young people are surrounded by a 360 area of certain death, and too many kids drown with life jackets on. It is such a dilemma for us, but now my kids are having kids. They can choose for themselves.

I was 3 years old when my folks took me on my first trip to Powell. And we went nearly every year at least one time, until I was 18.

My parents took many children as well. And all of my friends take kids. Never once had an incident.

This was a terrible tradgedy but accidents happen. And they can happen anywhere.

I’d be willing to bet that a Powell vacation carries significantly less risk than most other trips. Millions go every year with very few deaths.

I work with amputees. This week I worked with an older gentleman that lost his leg due to infection after surgery. And a man who lost both legs in an auto accident. And a serviceman who lost his in combat.

Does that mean you shouldn’t allow kids to be in a car? Or have surgery?

Life’s full of risks. I think it is smart to do what you can to mitigate those risks, but it is impossible to eliminate them.

I’m sure glad my folks took me to Powell when I was a kid. I can’t imagine my life without those memories.

This tragedy was avoidable. It is ultimately your decision to bring, or not bring your kids to the lake. My first trips to Powell was several times when my Mom was pregnant. My first trip out of the womb, I was 2 months. My kids followed that same routine.
Very strict rules when it comes to life jackets, even to this day for them (they are now 11 and 8) In my opinion, an accident can happen ANYWHERE, and you are costing yourself and those kids countless memories :cool:

I love Lake Powell and fishing and I’m so thankful and grateful for both as lesiure activities in my life. As a profession, I have chosen to be a teacher. It’s a fine job, but obviously does not entertain me in the same way LP and fishing do.

As a teacher I have learned that the best way to manage my students’ behaviors is to role model the behaviors I want them to engage in. Of course we have class rules and discipline procedures, but those are less needed when I lead the way by being a role model. (Not always as easy as it may sound in simple typed words).

When I am on my boat, I always wear one of two life jackets. I wear a small inflatable when others are also on board and a larger full neoprene version when out by myself. I don’t have children of my own, but I think similar to being a teacher at school, by wearing her/his own life jacket at all times while boating, a parent/adult makes a stronger statement about the value and importance of life jackets than one does with just words and no role modeling.

I don’t know when my next trip to LP will be, but I sure am excited about it. Kind thoughts for all.

Totally agree, not to mention the time it took to find the little guy under the water. RIP precious little one.
Not to mention when they all woke up in the morning of course their greatest fear was that he had fallen in the water, but I'm sure they were all hoping he maybe woke up early and went exploring on the beach. I'm sure they were searching all over the place for him all morning. Can't imagine being in that situation.

During the night, sounds are magnified. A breaching fish sounds like a large boulder hitting the water. And no one heard? Mind boggling.

My kids started at the lake at 2 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back