2019 Changes to fishing license requirements - Thank You AZGFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
It is not often the new laws and regulations make fishing easier, but that is what is exactly is happening at Lake Powell in 2019. Beginning in 2019 a resident of UT or AZ may buy a resident license from their home state and then fish all of Lake Powell with only a (UT or AZ) resident license.

Non-residents from other states are not left out in this complimentary regulation change. You may buy one fishing license from UT or AZ (either short term or annual) and fish both sides of the state line with only that license.

We thank AZ for for starting this license restructuring a year ago and for UT to now follow that lead which makes fishing the Best Fishing Lake in both states much easier for residents and non-residents alike.

Here are some of the fishing regulations as stated in the 2019 Utah Proclamation:

Fishing Contests. All fishing contests shall be held pursuant to R657-58 Fishing Contests and Clinics. R657-13-5. Interstate Waters and Reciprocal Fishing Permits. (1) When fishing interstate waters, an individual must: (a) obtain the necessary fishing licenses and permits, as provided below; and (b) comply with angling regulations applicable to the state where they are fishing.

(2) Bear Lake.
(a) A person possessing a valid Utah or Idaho fishing or combination license, whether resident or nonresident, may fish both the Utah and Idaho portions of the Lake in accordance with the angling regulations applicable to the state where they are fishing.
(b) Only one daily limit may be taken in a single day, even if licensed in both states.

(3) Lake Powell Reservoir.
(a) A person possessing a valid Utah or Arizona fishing or combination license, whether resident or nonresident, may fish both the Utah and Arizona portions of the Reservoir in accordance with the angling regulations applicable to the state where they are fishing.
(b) Only one daily limit may be taken in a single day, even if licensed in both states.

(4) Flaming Gorge Reservoir.
(a) A Utah resident possessing a valid Utah fishing or combination license and a Wyoming reciprocal fishing permit for Flaming Gorge Reservoir may fish the Wyoming portions of the Reservoir as prescribed in Wyoming angling regulations.
(i) Utah residents may obtain reciprocal fishing permits for Flaming Gorge Reservoir by contacting the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. (b) A person possessing a valid, resident or nonresident, Wyoming fishing or combination license and a Utah reciprocal fishing permit for Flaming Gorge Reservoir may fish the Utah portions of the Reservoir as prescribed in Utah angling regulations.
(i) A Utah reciprocal fishing permit for Flaming Gorge Reservoir may be obtained through the division's web site, authorized license agents, or regional offices.
(ii) The Utah reciprocal fishing permit must be:
(A) used in conjunction with a valid, Resident or nonresident Wyoming fishing or combination license; and
(B) signed by the holder as the holder's name appears on the Wyoming fishing or combination license.
( c) A Utah reciprocal fishing permit is valid for 365 days from the date of purchase.
( d) Only one daily limit may be taken in a single day, even if licensed in both states.

Wayne do you know if the 6 poles simultaneous thought was kicked around? (Like in other western states?)

No - I am sorry I did not plead this case very well and it just slipped away. What I need to know is how many Lake Powell Anglers would like to see this regulation allowed. If we had enough support we may be able to make it happen in 2020. I will check with AZ and my administration. Gem you be in charge of making a list of how many Lake Powell anglers want to use 6 rods. If there are many then we have a better chance.

Help me understand this better. I assume you mean trolling with 3 rods on each side of the boat and the rigs are separated with planer boards to make them run straight. Now if you have 3 anglers on the boat you have enough licenses to allow that to happen with the current regulations. Now if you normally have 2 anglers on the boat then you are down two rods. Let me know your normal plan for trolling with 6 rods so I can present a good case.

How many want an increase in number of hooks on umbrella rigs? How many of you are using umbrella rigs?

While I have no experience with umbrella rigs, I couldn't say if additional hooks would increase the catch rate but logic would lead me to think so. As for fishing with up to six rods at once would definitely be on my wish list. It would allow us to cover more water while trolling for crappie, walleye, as well as stripers. I wish I could put out a spider rig here on my home lakes for crappie.

Ok Wayne, I'll keep track.

I know I could just go with 3 anglers on the boat and fish with 6 rods - separated as you say. But sometimes I find myself fishing alone.

Of course fishing with six rods out with only one guy on the boat would have no affect on limits - all limits would be strictly adhered to. But as Meatwagon says it helps to cover more water and hone in where the fish are holding.

Particularly in a lake where you're encouraging anglers to catch and keep as many as possible this makes sense.

Other western states allow this - Idaho for sure.

Last edited:
Hooray no more Powell Stamp to buy. It was within 5 days of expiring one time when I got checked, I had NO clue, as I had renewed my regular fish/hunt license months earlier. I completely spaced it........and got lucky!

More rods = more fish! I think in my own personal use, the only time I might have more than 3 out is at camp, while Catfishing :cool:

This is a good move on Arizona.

I am usually a party of 1, a normal day would be 4 rods out, 2 down riggers and 2 semi flat lines, so yes more rods would be good, to keep things legal.

In Kentucky were I was raised if you had a fishing license you could fish with as many poles as you were man enough to keep untangled. If you were fishing with a rod with out a reel (cane pole) you did not have to have a license. I can't imagine what a mess you could have trolling 6 rods and have a striper run sideways and tangle them all! I'm happy that we can use 2 now with out having to buy the extra stamp. Three a peice would be nice though.

How does the POSSESSION LIMIT work for fishing on Lake Powell? Did AZ adopt Utah's definition for POSSESSION LIMIT since bag limits and license requirements are now the same?

Keeping fish at home (Arizona)
Any fish species stored at your permanent residence counts as part of your POSSESSION LIMIT.

Keeping fish at home (Utah)
Any fish species stored at your permanent residence does not count as part of your POSSESSION LIMIT.

Last edited:
How does the POSSESSION LIMIT work for fishing on Lake Powell? Did AZ adopt Utah's definition for POSSESSION LIMIT since bag limits and license requirements are now the same?

Keeping fish at home (Arizona)
Keeping fish at home Any fish species stored at your permanent residence do not count as part of your limit. Please keep in mind that this does NOT allow you to take home multiple daily limits of fish in one day. You may take home only one daily limit per dayAny fish species stored at your permanent residence counts as part of your POSSESSION LIMIT.

Keeping fish at home (Utah)
Any fish species stored at your permanent residence does not count as part of your POSSESSION LIMIT.

The UT rule remains the same:
"Keeping fish at home. Any fish species stored at your permanent residence do not count as part of your limit. Please keep in mind that this does NOT allow you to take home multiple daily limits of fish in one day. You may take home only one daily limit per day."

I have not read the AZ rules because the 2019 Proclamation is not yet on the AZ web page.. I will report as soon as it available.

Last edited:
Wayne so if I buy out of state Arizona license to fish Roosevelt or any other lake in AZ then I can fish all of Powell with that same license? I generally have to buy out of state license for both states. I think that would be great.

Wayne so if I buy out of state Arizona license to fish Roosevelt or any other lake in AZ then I can fish all of Powell with that same license? I generally have to buy out of state license for both states. I think that would be great.

Yes that is my understanding. I will confirm that with AZGFD but if I do not correct this then that is the right answer.

It is amazing that in the hostile political environment in the US today that something like this can happen. I thank my leaders in the Utah Division of Wildlife for being such good examples and for paying AZ back for their concession a year ago. They allowed anyone with a UT license to fish in AZ waters. Now Utah has done the same thing for AZ residents in a much bigger portion of the lake. It is wonderful when we all get along so well and can go fishing to enjoy the friendship.

Thanks AZGDF

Yes more rods please!

And 5-6 hooks for an umbrella rig would be great, as I bought a bunch of rigs before I found out about the 2 hook limit. Which is why I do not even bother to put them in the boat.....

Yes more rods please!

And 5-6 hooks for an umbrella rig would be great, as I bought a bunch of rigs before I found out about the 2 hook limit. Which is why I do not even bother to put them in the boat.....

UT allows 3 hooks on a U-rig so you can almost fish a REAL U-rig there. You can drag a bunch of swim baits and with 3 hooks its likely you can catch 2-3 fish per rig when the school swims by. Let me know how that works out for you.:cool:

UT allows 3 hooks on a U-rig so you can almost fish a REAL U-rig there. You can drag a bunch of swim baits and with 3 hooks its likely you can catch 2-3 fish per rig when the school swims by. Let me know how that works out for you.:cool:
I wonder if it is going to take a bigger net when bringing in 3 5lb stipers on 1 line. I think I would like find out first hand next spring ;).

I forgot that UT allows an additional hook, but I still would like all the baits to have a hook, that way I could quickly catch up to Sue on numbers....:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back