Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSMITHOO7

I am looking for recommendations on hiding from the wind this week end. Also what do all of you consider to high of winds to fish? We are staying in Bullfrog and going to try to fish up to Goo Hope. 17ft Lund

Thanks
BSMITH

I have heard that Good Hope is really muddy right now so you might not want to go up quite that far. As for the wind, we have fished in high winds before and it is miserable, but doable. If the wind gets too bad you can sometimes find a canyon wall to get behind to block most of it and if you will be trolling, it is usually easier to troll with the wind. We will be heading to Bullfrog this weekend also. Good luck!

It depends on the kind of fishing you're doing. If you're using your trolling motor to pound the bank for SMB, LMB, or spawning Crappie we usually call it quits at around the 10mph windspeed mark. If trolling you can get away with a little more wind, but we don't do much trolling so I can't say what the top level would be. Be careful as the main channel can get worked up pretty quick while you're in a protected arm fishing, making it difficult and dangerous to get back to camp. We left Red Canyon for Farley once in the 80's and found that the Main Channel was rolling with 4' waves, I was just a kid and thought it was cool, but my Mom wasn't impressed and stuffed my brother and I under the bow. We were in a 16' StarCraft(aluminum) closed bow. Took quite a while to get back to Farley.

Isn't it just so convenient that the ONLY considerable winds in the next several days are Saturday and Sunday!? Blows my mind, you can literally bet on that pattern the last few years.

I'm seeing upper teens to about 20mph winds, I'd consider that fishable, certainly not ideal but doable, probably use cranks instead of jigs or use a much heavier weight up to a 1/2oz. And one thing we've done that has been affective is to pull up and shore fish when it gets windy. When you don't have to worry about boat control the wind becomes slightly less annoying. Heading to the San Juan tomorrow, we'll be in the same situation.

Isn't it just so convenient that the ONLY considerable winds in the next several days are Saturday and Sunday!? Blows my mind, you can literally bet on that pattern the last few years.
Ha Ha I think it only SEEMS that way! We went up to GHB on Saturday, 4/22. The forecast when we left cell coverage at Bullfrog Saturday morning was as for light winds Saturday, Breezy Sunday, and Sunny, calm and 80 for Monday. Well, Sunday was actually pretty nice, but Monday it was cloudy, and by late afternoon the winds were 20-30 out of the Southwest(!). We were in a sheltered bay on the South side of Red Canyon, so it was nearly calm at our camp, with no waves coming into the transom. But the guys who came in and set up camp on the north side of Red Canyon looked miserable, I could see the whitecapped waves going almost straight into their boats. They were all standing around looking nervous and had to continually keep messing with their boats. Been there, done that, no thanks! We looked at that site and knew the windiest conditions were forecast to come out of the southwest, and chose a camp accordingly.

Getting back to the questions, I would agree with the 10-15 mile an hour maximum for pleasant fishing. Another bonus to choosing sheltered camp with the wind blowing out toward the water, is you can still usually fish from shore if you get the itch....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back