Wildlife at Rincon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve spent a lot of time in Rincon and have never seen the otters. I guess I need to spend more time there.....

Wayne -- here is the picture I mentioned of dad holding a cormorant. This was presented to him at his retirement.
I think it conveys a nice image of how most fisheries managers feel about cormorants.

vZkjo0i.jpg

I sat at one of the nearby community fishing ponds one morning just after it had been stocked with 8-10" rainbows. There were about 10 fisherman on the bank. There were 7 cormorants and 5 pelicans also on the water. I sat in my truck watching with binoculars. A total of 8 fish were caught while I sat watching. 7 of those were caught by cormorants, 1 by an angler. Every time one of the cormorants came up with a fish the pelicans surrounded and bullied the cormorant until it dropped the fish in it's own best interest. The pelicans ended up eating all 7 of those fish the cormorants caught.

There's a moral in that story somewhere...not quite sure what it is? Something about grasshoppers and ants. Or give a man a fish...

Gem -- that's exactly why stocking practices (time of year + size of fish) along with regulation changes were implemented at Minersville. Birds are much better anglers than humans, and they rarely practice catch-and-release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back