Which legislators to write to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nbark4ReAL

I'm looking for guidance as to which legislators we should contact about reversing this silly decision to close down Lake Powell. Obviously, there are situations and gatherings that should be avoided, but a private trip with my immediate family to the Lake where we practice social distancing at Powell shouldn't be restricted.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that feels like their LP trip is harmless to me and others.. We primitive camp for heaven's sake..

Best thing you can do is go to the links at the top of this page. Once there on the page there is a link that says "more info" it takes you to the actual 2 page letter the governor wrote and has his contact information. My understanding is the DNR has already had employees exposed to the virus as previous policies on distancing didn't work.

As I understand it (from those in the know???) it's not the act of launching your boat that is a concern... but rather the travel from many hundreds of miles across this great country- coming in contact with various gas - food and hospitality establishments along the way... and then traveling back those many hundreds of miles potentially picking up and sharing viruses all along the way.
I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't appreciate very many residents from New York or Detroit or New Orleans making that trip to visit family on their houseboat timeshare in our back yards...
But I could be wrong??

Last edited:
As I understand it (from those in the know???) it's not the act of launching your boat that is a concern... but rather the travel from many hundreds of miles across this great country- coming in contact with various gas - food and hospitality establishments along the way... and then traveling back those many hundreds of miles potentially picking up and sharing viruses all along the way.
I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't appreciate very many residents for New York or Detroit or New Orleans making that trip to visit family on their houseboat timeshare in our back yards...
But I could be wrong??
I think that's how it started out, but limiting the use of LP to residents of Colorado, Utah, and AZ could have been sufficient for the interim, until we get back to normalcy.

Lots of ways to do this such as cheap bar code readers at the gate reading the bar code off your boat registration and Lake Powell boat permits. Cheap tracking devices required in Lake Powell boat stickers. Problem is nobody wanted this in the past and the basic groundwork for this simple system would be tied up in courts for years, even though you can see on google any place a cell phone that has allow use my location has gone for years.

I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't appreciate very many residents from New York or Detroit or New Orleans making that trip to visit family on their houseboat timeshare in our back yards...
But I could be wrong??
Unplanned events like: car accidents, emergency bathroom breaks, physical accidents requiring visits to health centers... These are unlikely to happen, but can’t be eliminated as possibilities when one travels.

Long distance "honor system" enforcement is shaky at best... boots on the ground is usually a requirement for proper compliance.
It's as simple as printing a fishing license and sticking it in the dash of a vehicle. keep everyone inside the vehicle at the "checkpoint". like i said.. 100 ways to avoid it.

How does putting a copy of a fishing licence in the dash of a vehicle help stop the movement of mussels? ID checks don't pull your plug or lower your motor.

I saw the sanitation problem first hand, and am disgusted with how people have no respect for our land and lake. But I will have to say, it was like this before the shutdown, there are just more people going now that they are off work, and the more you have the worse it is. I don't think a lot of people realize how much the lake is going to come up, and cover or float up what they leave behind.

Federal lands can’t be closed to out of staters very easily. That’s discrimination. Counties around Powell can ban camping but other than San Juan they did not seem so inclined. This is why I expect all national forests to be next. Herbert is going to be tired of the closed counties like Grand and San Juan whining about the open ones like Garfield and Kane. Serious jealousy.
Perhaps some of our local business owners can give their take on closed vs open counties. I did my part in supporting Wayne county and they were happy to have me. Good people.

Last edited:
Went up lake today. Saw a total of 4 boats from Wahweap to Gunsight. So dangerous out here with all these people on the lake. First time in my 10 years of going through the cut and through the narrows without seeing any other boats. I was hopeful that slc las and phx international airports would close to protects us from ourselves but clearly the only answer was to close the lake

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say the corona virus is over. Its time to open launch ramps and get back to work.. Here is why.

The statewide population in AZ is about 7.38 million people. As of April 5th, about 0.03% of the population tested positive (2456 people)

The Navajo Reservation has a population of about 350,000 people. As of April 5th, there were 354 cases and 14 deaths. That's 0.10% of the reservation testing positive and 0.004% that have died. So they implemented curfews and check points to close the rez to the outside world.

Page, AZ has a population of about 8000 people. As of April 5th, 15 people tested positive and 1 died. So we closed the boat ramps to prevent recreation on Lake Powell.

Trump has waived medical expenses for covid-19 patients. Hospitals are now laying off medical workers because they cannot make payroll. Get well soon!

I don't mean to minimize the seriousness of covid-19. It is horrible and we want to avoid it. I just feel we are over reacting to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back