Where to launch a kayak near the North Wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Clifton

So, I’m fairly new to Lake Powell fishing but I’ve had some success fishing from my kayak back in Farley’s Canyon. The problem I have is getting back in Farley’s to the gravel boat ramp because of the condition of the “road” back near the water. I’m wondering if the raft pick up area right off the highway near the North Wash would be a place that a person could launch a kayak from and then maybe be able to spend a couple nights sleeping in a truck and basically dry camp at night and fish that area during the day. If anyone has any suggestions on any other areas suitable for kayak fishing Lake Powell I’d appreciate hearing about it! TIA!!!

If i was kayak fishing it would have to be blue notch and fish red canyon / good hope. Or stanton ceek. Really the only options i know of are Hite,farley, blue notch, or bullfrog.

Hite would be a long ways to good fishing other than north wash...farley can be really good..red canyon is one of my favs...stanton is easy access and descent fishing.

If you are closer to the south end You can also take the Smokey Mountain road that leaves Big Water, and go to the first right turn,{Crosby Canyon} and drive down to the lake in warm creek.

You can put a kayak in on the ramp to fish northwash, but at this water level you would have to paddle up river more then a half mile or so to get out. The banks are just soft silt build up so you cant walk back or get out. I tried this october 2018. Worst mistake ever getting back. However with amount of effort it took I may have lost a few pounds of excess weight. I would recommend, blue notch especially for two day trip.

Dave,
I would most definitely choose blue notch for a kayak fishing adventure. The spring fishing around there is always (almost) exceptional. And if it is extremely windy and you can’t get your kayak out the fishing from shore is very good. The road varies in Condition, but before you leave post a thread on WW and someone most likely will know what shape the road is in. There are plenty of places to launch at almost all water levels, and good camping around. It is extremely remote , like all of lake powell. Give it a try !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back