Where is the black ring of mussels this year, densities seem to be lower

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba

Casual observation, the black band of mussels usually seen at low water point (now) seems to be not as pronounced and heavy. Are they deeper down or in a cycle.

Question for James with the disc, is your product sold at the Antelope Marina store or Aramark stores on the lake or on amazon. These convenient and trusted options will have great success. I can see the Aramark marina preferring to issue $3000 maintenance invoices for pulling boats and stern drive cleanings over a $50 preventative measure. You may ask Antelope and Wahweap to do an email blast to all the slip owners, I could see them saying no for most pitches, but this one is of such great importance and great community interest, they may want to work with you as the benefit to the slip tenant is so great. I hope the disc works. Although it will have zero impact on the lake, it will keep stern drive repair bills lower.

Question for admin, I signed on today to reply on the Do You Have A Houseboat thread and once I signed on, that thread was gone. I may have been on that thread instead of homepage when I signed on. I like the new format a lot but do not like that threads move around. I. wanted to reread the mussel disc thread to see if I missed Page retailers, and poof it was gone, never to be seen again. Also, how do I turn off email notification, I don’t want emails every time a thread is commented on. Thanks

Casual observation, the black band of mussels usually seen at low water point (now) seems to be not as pronounced and heavy. Are they deeper down or in a cycle.

I would love it if there were fewer! I suspect that they're still heavily populated beneath. We're still at 15+ feet above last year's elevations. Houseboats coming out for maintenance have considerably more growth this year over last (just my casual observation).

Question for admin, I signed on today to reply on the Do You Have A Houseboat thread and once I signed on, that thread was gone. I may have been on that thread instead of homepage when I signed on.

That thread is located here (and hasn't been moved) -
https://wayneswords.net/threads/for-those-of-you-with-houseboats.720/

Also, how do I turn off email notification, I don’t want emails every time a thread is commented on.

Simply clilck "Unwatch" at the top of the thread. By default, "watching" tells the system to notify you (via email) with any new activity. There are also several alert and notification preferences available on your profile page (by clicking on your name/picture in the top menu bar then clicking "Preferences").

Hope that helps!

The Black Band is the thickest I've ever seen up North Lake , my favorite fishing / swimming hole located in Forgotten Canyon now "as of last week" has a new collection of QM. If something cant be found to exterminate the Mussels the red rock shoreline and all the beautiful slick-rock beaches will soon be lost forever. Its truly inconceivable that Powell will be lost to QM, hoping and praying something can be done to reclaim our Jewel of a lake !!!

This is the density of the mussels on the rocks across from Antelope Point public launch ramp as of 4/9/18.
mussels 4-10-18.jpg

They are. Red Ear Sunfish

While they do feed on them, I am pretty sure they do not do a whole lot to reduce their density/abundance. More putting a positive use to a horrible infestation: at least they eat the damned things!!!

I'm sure it's a LOT more complicated than just dumping those fish in the lake and ringing the dinner bell, but hopefully this option (or another) can get some traction.

I hate seeing these photos. Sad that this is the new norm. :( Even worse that this could have been avoided. And the cherry on top is that without a better containment protocol (mandatory decontamination of boats leaving the lake), this is going to spread beyond Powell......

Are they edible by humans? I love steamed mussels in a little wine, dipped in garlic butter. Might be a great appetizer in fish camp.

Question for James with the disc, is your product sold at the Antelope Marina store or Aramark stores on the lake or on amazon. These convenient and trusted options will have great success. I can see the Aramark marina preferring to issue $3000 maintenance invoices for pulling boats and stern drive cleanings over a $50 preventative measure. You may ask Antelope and Wahweap to do an email blast to all the slip owners, I could see them saying no for most pitches, but this one is of such great importance and great community interest, they may want to work with you as the benefit to the slip tenant is so great. I hope the disc works. Although it will have zero impact on the lake, it will keep stern drive repair bills lower.

Question for admin, I signed on today to reply on the Do You Have A Houseboat thread and once I signed on, that thread was gone. I may have been on that thread instead of homepage when I signed on. I like the new format a lot but do not like that threads move around. I. wanted to reread the mussel disc thread to see if I missed Page retailers, and poof it was gone, never to be seen again. Also, how do I turn off email notification, I don’t want emails every time a thread is commented on. Thanks

Hey Bubba. This is James from 060bio. We do have a distributor on Lake Powell. Dan Auster, 435-788-2296, [email protected]. In addition, one can get more information at this site. I am happy to answer questions anytime. 949-394-0124, [email protected].

I hate seeing these photos. Sad that this is the new norm. :( Even worse that this could have been avoided. And the cherry on top is that without a better containment protocol (mandatory decontamination of boats leaving the lake), this is going to spread beyond Powell......
I don’t see how we avoid them spreading throughout the Colorado River at this point. There is nothing to stop them from spreading both up river and down from Powell except pure environmental state that they can’t survive in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back