What's our problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickbow shooter

We have a Lowrance Hook 2. The problem were having is that the screen can be working perfectly fine and for no reason it gets distorted and reads water depth at 1.5' clearly not the case. It happens sometimes when we're cruising at a wakeless speed and sometimes at 25 mph. Eventually it returns to normal. See picture below.20190408_172955.jpg

Could be where the transducer is mounted. By chance is it on a aluminum boat somewhere in line with rivets on the bottom?

Most boats don’t ride level in the water. Try setting the transducer even with the waterline of the boat. Sq

Last edited:
I have the EXACT same problem with my Raymarine e7D - has happened since I installed it in 2013. The strange thing is, it happens to me in the same two places on the lake every time! One place near APM, the other in the main channel just before the Y heading from APM to either Warm Creek or uplake. In both locations, the depth is over 400 ft deep.

I've chalked it up to echo noise from "something" - i.e. a secret CIA underwater clandescent location:eek:. I know, that doesn't help you, but I do look forward to hearing what others think. (btw-I have tried changing various settings to no avail)

Last edited:
It's the unit. You'll see lots of this issue with Lowrance units if you search the Internet.

Had the same problem with the new Lowrance 7HDI I got several years ago a year after they came out.

Sent the unit in and the replacement unit would do the same thing - just took a little longer.

After some back and forth, Lowrance sent me a micro SD Card with updates on it. Apparently the unit would go into some internal hyper-run/processing and make it overheat. The updates (and another future one I was able to download off their site) helped a lot. Now the unit will do it occasionally. Doing my high-speed runs with only the Chart page running without either the sonar or downscan in a split screen helps out a lot too. Suspect it can't handle all the processing at once.

See if there is an update on the Lowrance or Navico website. If so, download it and stick the micro SD card into your unit - if it has a slot for it.

Otherwise, contact them about sending in the unit. Good luck, they were a pain when I had to deal with them - but it was the unit and they finally admitted it.

I had a Humminbird on my Hobie kayak that would go wonky like that. It turned out to be a failing battery (that powered only the finder) but I have since learned that poor or corroded connections can degrade the voltage enough to cause this, too. May I suggest a can of Corrosion X, which is a marine corrosion inhibitor and cleaner? It's marvelous stuff that's a LOT better than other spray cleaner/lubes/protectants. (And it's just the snizzle to lube a .22 semi-auto, too!)

Thanks for all the responses ,I realigned the transducer ,it might have been to high. I got on line, Lowrance suggest to install the transducer 12 inches from center of prop ours is 19 inches. Really don't want to drill more holes if I don't have to. I 'll see if the realignment made a difference and go from there.
thanks again

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back