Wetherill over Labor Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBH

We hit the water early Saturday morning, and had a nice cruise from State Line to Wetherill -- nearly had the lake to ourselves!

We found a nice beach in the back of Wetherill, with a couple big horn sheep saving the spot for us. Ended up seeing about a dozen big horns that morning in Wetherill. One had an orange collar -- must have swum across the main channel?

The camp spot was really the last spot in the canyon before it starts to narrow up. It was a great camp spot, and pretty isolated; or so we thought. After going for a boat ride, we came back to find a giant houseboat (All My Amigos) parked nearly on top of our camp! Ugh. They were literally 50 yards from us. So much for privacy.

NLR4chH.jpg

We didn't do a ton of fishing, but we still found a few. SMB seemed eager. I'm guessing we could have caught a lot of them had we tried.

Xl0pLRM.jpg

The catfish did not disappoint. In fact, I think I'd approve of Mardi bringing this boy home!
TFQ7VM3.jpg

2XGhaQ4.jpg

Stripers were harder to find. We never did see a slurp or boil. We were able to find a school against the wall opposite the mouth of Wetherill. There is a notch in that wall, and a school of stripers was hanging out in it at 80' depth (200' of water?). We were able to get a few to play with spoons. But even after chumming, we just couldn't get that school to wake up. Oh well.

xi3EdRt.jpg

HdgZaZd.jpg

The highlight of the trip for the girls was the skylight cave over in Rock Creek. This water level really makes it neat. The very tip of the alcove is exposed enough to swim in and out of it. The girls had a blast jumping in. Whitni kept saying "Dad, can we go back and jump in the cavern?". What a riot!

l1oa1I0.jpg

We had a great trip!

vgmp3zR.jpg

SKTiS7G.jpg

Thanks Brett - Great report. That jumping spot has a lot of different names probably depending on lake level. Sometimes only the top opening is visible and its called Pot Hole. Then the window in your picture appears and it becomes Skylight. Its always worth the trip to stop there.

Thanks for the great and timely report! We'll be there this time next week beach camping too. Wetherill is always on the short list with proximity to Dangling. Any beta on other canyons that looked sandy at current level? Water still pushing 80 or already dropping? Thanks again.

We looked at mountain sheep canyon as well - but had no luck finding any sandy beaches in there. Wetherill had a number of spots that you could beach a boat and set up a tent.

Is that a spring bar tent, if so how do you like it?
B.T.W. Wetherall is one my favorite canyons for camping and fishing.

yes, it is a springbar. I've had this particular tent for about 15 years. It is our "go-to" tent for all of our hunting (excluding backpack trips). Canada (rain), Boulder Mountain (snow), Lake Powell (sand), south-west Wyoming (wind, snow, sleet, ice, hail)....it can take whatever you throw at it.
Prior to purchasing it, we used my Dad's for all of our camping trips -- that tent, like Wayne's, is ancient. It is still in great shape.

Those springbar tents are awesome. We've spent many days sitting in the tent during rainstorms, and never had a problem with water. They stay up in the wind. They are easy to put up. In fact, I can put the tent up faster by myself than if my wife helps (shhh, don't tell her I said that!). They are great tents.

If you take care of your tent, it will take care of you. I always make sure to let it dry prior to putting it away -- which means I have put the tent up on the front lawn often times after a rainy trip to allow it to dry. I spray it off with the pressure washer to get all the crud off it -- then allow it to dry completely. Mildew will ruin a tent in no time! Get it dry, and it will last your lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back