Water Visibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanton

Hello everybody, I've seen reports of murky water at LP this year, mostly due to all of the much-needed water that's been flowing into the lake. My buddies and I will be heading down next week (likely launching at Bullfrog) for a long weekend fishing trip. We'd also like to do some spearfishing down there, but I haven't seen any water visibility reports lately. Has anybody noticed lately if the visibility is getting decent? If so, which parts of the lake? Any input is appreciated; input from anybody who has been spearfishing at LP recently is especially appreciated. Like I mentioned, we'll likely be launching at Bullfrog, but open to launching at Wahweap, depending on fishing conditions and water visibility.

Hi Stanton, I was in Farley last Fri and Sat. July12/13. Water clarity was about 8" out in the mouth of the bay. Maybe 12" in the back end of the canyon.

We were in Rock Creek, Last Chance, Padre Bay and Wahweap all last week. We came home Saturday night. Water was most clear around Wahweap but you only had maybe 8 or 9 foot of visibility. The farther North we went the worse the clarity became. We couldn't keep the Kitties out of the boat in a small cove just west of Dangling Rope. Kids had a blast. each caught 4 in a couple of hours just messing around. A little ham luncheon meat on a hook and usually within 2 to 3 minutes bam. Smallest one was 16". Lots of slurps in Dry Rock Creek. some were close to a boil with all of the splashing around. Still real boat shy. Had to cast way out to get past. We would usually snag one stripper out of each slurp. Used a silver Kastmaster. Tried spearfishing up by Dangling rope. Found a few Carp but that was about it. Visibility was about 5 feet. Slurps all over the main channel from DR to Padre Thursday afternoon from about 2pm to 6pm.

Got back yesterday from up North. GHB was murky, but I wouldn't consider it muddy, or anything like peak run off when the mud-line looks as thick as a chocolate shake. That being said, I don't know what kind of visibility you are hoping for, and I wouldn't trust you would find anything better than 10' like previously mentioned, even first thing in the morning in the side canyons. We camped in Cedar and during our exploring I don't think I found any better visibility from Bullfrog up.

Got back yesterday from up North. GHB was murky, but I wouldn't consider it muddy, or anything like peak run off when the mud-line looks as thick as a chocolate shake. That being said, I don't know what kind of visibility you are hoping for, and I wouldn't trust you would find anything better than 10' like previously mentioned, even first thing in the morning in the side canyons. We camped in Cedar and during our exploring I don't think I found any better visibility from Bullfrog up.
10’ visibility at g h b?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back