Water Level Required to Have Water Under Rainbow Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Sampson

Escalante-Class Member
Does anyone have an idea what the water level would need to be to get water under Rainbow Bridge again?
Thanks in advance.

The only time I have visited Rainbow Bridge with water under it was in July of 1998 at a level of 3697'.
The picture below is at 3654' and you can see the distance remaining. That at least narrows your window to 43'.
upload_2017-6-8_12-40-28.png
Hope that helps.
FWIW
Goblin

I took a look at a few different lake elevations and found that the "Lake Powell - 3660 Shallow Depth" map worked out.
I've attached a link to the Rainbow Bridge area. http://lakepowellgpsmaps.com/rainbowbridge.html

There is some confusion though, because Google Maps has "Rainbow Bridge National Monument" incorrectly located, and it shows up on the map. Unfortunately, I can't change it, nor hide it, it's theirs not mine. My corrected location is the lower right "Rainbow Bridge" dot. It is at 37 - 04' - 38" N, 110 - 57' 51" W.

If you zoom in and pan, you'll see the heavy brown "3660' Shallow Depth" line makes it under the "Rainbow Bridge" dot. Will the water level make it to that?...I dought it.

One thing is absolutely true about maps and that is "ALL maps are wrong." In one way or another, count on it and you won't get bitten in the rear. Location of RB differs in the above post by about 100' which from a water level standpoint is probably 'fly excrement.' i.e., That sandwich you are eating out on the lake probably has fly excrement on it but you'll never know the difference. But now if you are targeteering (except nukes), using it for autoland coords or avoiding whales on the lake at night then it is yuge!

That said, all data related could have errors unless verified. The image I posted of course assumes that the 3654' water level is accurate but I have seen sat images that were wrong in more than one way. Lake Powell images are no exception. Inaccurate dates, improper digitizing, poor 3d imaging efforts and parallax all can contribute to significant errors. Additionally there are a lot of numbers out there that vary on even the actual span & height of RB.

Here is another tidbit of data that if accurate would put the elevation under the bridge at 3654'.
Frequently Asked Questions
When was the last time water stood underneath Rainbow Bridge?
In 1999, Lake Powell water elevation rose to 3,696ft, pushing 42 feet of standing water into the rock channel underneath Rainbow Bridge. When Lake Powell is at full pool (3,7000ft) 46 feet of water stands underneath the bridge. Swimming is prohibited.
If this is true than either this is in error? or the image I posted contains erroneous data? or perhaps the uneven terrain in the stream bed allow for a pooling effect directly under the bridge?

All good questions.

o_O Yeah, I know....slow day here,
Goblin

Speaking of the "Lake Powell - Shallow Depth " maps, how does everyone like them? I was planning to give them a try on a tablet this summer. All my other trips I just used my eyeballs for whale watching.

We were there in the late 1990's, and there was a little water under the bridge, I have a pic of it somewhere, and the dock was pretty close. If I remember correctly, the height of the dam was designed to protect the integrity of the Bridge, and never let the water touch the base.

Just to illustrate a point..... Notice the full pool elevation listed in the FAQ below.......listed as right at thirty-seven thousand feet! :confused:
Frequently Asked Questions
When was the last time water stood underneath Rainbow Bridge?
In 1999, Lake Powell water elevation rose to 3,696ft, pushing 42 feet of standing water into the rock channel underneath Rainbow Bridge. When Lake Powell is at full pool (3,7000ft) 46 feet of water stands underneath the bridge. Swimming is prohibited.

Swimming prohibited but bathyscaphes allowed,
Goblin

Rainbow Bridge is the reason that the top of the dam is not any higher, the bridge was designated a national monument long before the dam was created and the deal was the lake high water level would not exceed natural flood water level under the bridge.

I remember , sometime in July of '83, ( I think , around the fourth ) of swimming under the bridge, but didn't think there would have been that depth of water. Also again in ' 84 , it was under . The dock was almost within a few hundred feet of the bridge...

The only time I have visited Rainbow Bridge with water under it was in July of 1998 at a level of 3697'.
The picture below is at 3654' and you can see the distance remaining. That at least narrows your window to 43'.
View attachment 639
Hope that helps.
FWIW
Goblin
Thanks for this. Barring a miracle, we will probably never see water under Rainbow Bridge again.

Thanks for this. Barring a miracle, we will probably never see water under Rainbow Bridge again.
I wouldn't be as pessimistic. As recently as 2011 the lake topped out at about 3661'. That may have put water under the bridge.

I was on the lake then but, I did not make a trip to RB.
Perhaps another Wordling that was there in the July-August 2011 timeframe has the answer?

In any event I'm positive it will happen again but I wouldn't make book on exactly when,
Goblin

I was there in 2011, and there wasn't water under it that summer. All I specifically recall though, is a MUCH shorter hike than normal...

With what the snowpack still is and time of the season, I wouldn't bet against it going over 3640' , at least for a while, until it's balanced out...:D:D:D

My first trip to Powell was in August 1984. I had no idea the lake was above full pool. This is not my pic, but how I remember it from that time:

19148_BLOGUE_lac_powell_arche.jpg

^^^ My first trip to RB was 1984, and every other year thru 90. I remember swimming and jumping off the side cliffs into the water every year. We were teenagers, but at the time we didn't know you weren't suppose to swim in that area.

I don't remember there being a regulation against swimming there, as I think they had bigger fish to fry with the high water. We all know their penchant for signage, and nothing was posted on the dock... And God knows, I would NEVER disobey the LAW... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back